Parmalat: Supermarket Decisions

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Parmalat SpA is a multinational Italian dairy and food corporation. Having become the leading global company in the production of long-life milk using the ultra-high-temperature (UHT) process, the company collapsed in 2003 with a €14 billion ($20bn; £13bn) hole in its accounts in what remains Europe's biggest bankruptcy. Since 2011, it is a subsidiary of French group Lactalis. Today, Parmalat is a company with a global presence, having operations in Europe, the United States, Canada, Australia, China, and South Africa (source of information: Wikipedia).

You can find boxes of Parmalat milk in most American supermarkets (Acme, Safeway, ThriftWay, Shoprite, etc.).

Parmalat milk is well-processed/pasteurized, tasty, and convenient (coming in an easy-to-pour flip-lid mouthed and well-lined cardboard box).

If you don't mind the offbeat 'look' of boxed wine, you won't mind the 'offbeat' feel of drinking milk out of a box, but hey, who thought milk bottles delivered to your door would be a lasting cultural activity? It's no longer the days of Happy Days and Little House on the Prairie --- now it's all Big Bang Theory and Modern Family!

I like to think that there are awesome forces out there guiding this era of supermarket foods so we don't forget the appreciation of the farm and dairy, and Parmalat is great for drinking and cooking. It's both creamy and digestible.

There should be more talk about 'acceptable' supermarket foods.

====

CUSTOMER: I see your grocery store no longer carries bottled milk.
CLERK: We stand behind the quality of Parmalat boxed-milk.
CUSTOMER: I feel like I'm part of some Orwellian nightmare.
CLERK: Relax, friend. Parmalat is nutritious and affordable.
CUSTOMER: Somehow, I feel like I'm being sold insurance.
CLERK: There's nothing wrong with 'convenience consumerism.'
CUSTOMER: Hey, if you say the FDA is all smiles, then I feel 'safe.'
CLERK: No reason to worry. Parmalat is a trusted brand.
CUSTOMER: I feel like farmers are losing work.
CLERK: The delivery of quality milk is the highest priority.
CUSTOMER: Relax, I'm not trying to start a consumer grudge.
CLERK: I know, but we want you to feel happy about healthy changes.
CUSTOMER: Since all the nutrition info is printed on the box, I feel assured.
CLERK: You should. This milk is good for drinking or cooking.
CUSTOMER: Maybe you'll start selling boxed seafood too.
CLERK: You'll find convenience balanced with nutrition when the FDA is involved.
CUSTOMER: Let me just dismiss my childish Orwellian storytelling.
CLERK: Didn't they fear the computer too?

====

Parmalat (Wikipedia)

parmalat.jpg

Forum List

Back