Parking: Back or Forward

Do you usually enter a parking spot forward or back in?

• Total voters
I pull through when possible. Id never back in...especially in a busy parking lot. I need time to back in lol.
I usually park far out with less cars. That way I can do whatever I want :badgrin:

...and I've decided getting a really close space isn't that great. When its time to leave you have to wait twice as long just to get out of it and on your way.

Backing into a spot is for pretentious douches

Not my fault you never mastered the ability to back up a vehicle. Perhaps you could take remedial classes?

Backing into a spot that was designed to be pulled forward into is retarded. Has nothing to do with not being able to back up.

But thanks for being pretentious and proving my point

I will give you one hundred trillion dollars if you can point to where I suggested backing into a spot that was designed to be pulled into. Aaaaaaaaaaaaand...go to it!

If the lot is busy, just pull in forward.

If there's nobody tailing you, drive past the spot and back in.

Or, just print up a handicap placard and laminate it. Stuff padding between your shoulders to make yourself look like a hunchback and practice walking with a limp. Then, you can park up front in the handicap zone. Backwards or forwards doesn't matter because you're a hunchback and nobody is going to mess with you.

(a) for parallel parking, no question. Backing in is best.

(b) for parking in a "normal" parking lot ("car park" in other countries), it is preferable, if possible, to back in. Don't back in if it inconveniences other drivers while you are doing it, but it is SAFER, because you will have better visibility when you depart. This is especially true if you will be departing at the same time as many other people (concert, church, etc.), when you won't want to be blind backing up AND inconveniencing everyone else who is trying to get out at the same time.

(c) If parking slots are diagonal, OBVIOUSLY you will want to pull in forward.

For maneuverability generally, the car is more maneuverable when moving in reverse ("front" wheels fixed; "rear" wheels turning). Note that industrial fork lifts, which must have maximum maneuverability all are steered with the rear wheels. So if you are parking in an unusual or tight spot (private garage, smaller space), backing in is preferable.

Forum List

Back