Park 51 Mosque Will Be Beautiful

Indeed, some I like quite a bit.

It's a shame the Community Center didn't use some of them for inspiration.

Their design possibilities are limited to those that will work with skyscrapers. But yeah, I see what you're saying. I think they should have incorporated script into the design somehow.

What, like Arabic writing? That could have been interesting but Kalam, it's so curvey...there can't be much you can do with it all over the face of the whole building?

Might have been nice to see the architect "mirror" the Alhambra Palace a bit, was my thought. But o well.

One thing I like about the script is its versatility. Some of the art styles are very angular, like so -

arabic-calligraphy-3.png

Part of me would have liked to see a sort of "throwback" design as well, but I guess they decided it wasn't what they wanted.

Their design possibilities are limited to those that will work with skyscrapers. But yeah, I see what you're saying. I think they should have incorporated script into the design somehow.

What, like Arabic writing? That could have been interesting but Kalam, it's so curvey...there can't be much you can do with it all over the face of the whole building?

Might have been nice to see the architect "mirror" the Alhambra Palace a bit, was my thought. But o well.

One thing I like about the script is its versatility. Some of the art styles are very angular, like so -

arabic-calligraphy-3.png

Part of me would have liked to see a sort of "throwback" design as well, but I guess they decided it wasn't what they wanted.

Those are letters? (Or is it words, like Chinese characters?) I'm just not used to seeing Arabic written anything like that...that's gorgeous. Very Art Deco looking.

The Islamic script is quite beautiful. Incorporated into architecture most I've seen has been something like this:

3.1224641820.islamic-script.jpg

or this

2123_l.jpg

See what the Park 51 Mosque and Community Center will look like....

Park51 Photos: Islamic Center Design Looks Modern, Secular In Artist Renderings

How gorgeous. Kudos to the architect.

well beauty is on the eye of the beholder, its looks like a bunch of giant bumble bees hived there....and the op link lost me at 'secular'.....

I did not even notice it has the word "secular" in the link, Trajan. I get newsfeeds on HuffPo over on facebook and I noticed the plans were out, so I thought it'd be interesting to discuss them.

I can see the bee-hivey thingie though...I just don't mind it. Anything is better than 18 stories of glass.

I am shocked to discover that you receive daily updates from HuffPo. :eek::cuckoo:

arabic-calligraphy-3.png

Those are letters? (Or is it words, like Chinese characters?) I'm just not used to seeing Arabic written anything like that...that's gorgeous. Very Art Deco looking.

Arabic is written with letters, but the letters in each word are connected since it's a script. It does seem like a less common style, but maybe we'll see more of it as mosque designs become more modern. You can see a sort of similar design on this Iranian mosque, but only on the columns:

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/510/mosque5af0.jpg

-

I do love these new organicly-shaped buildings. I am too afraid of heights to ever get into that one that looks like a sail in Dubai, but it is beautiful.

The script on that building is so creative.

DubaiMosqueW.jpg

Last edited:
The columns are covered in words? I would not have guessed in a Million years.

Very lovely. Can you read Arabic, Kalam?

In a manner of speaking. :)

I'm a student of the language and can understand it to a degree, but I certainly can't read it as quickly as English. The calligraphy can be especially difficult to read since artists often take license with letter shapes.

The white-ish stars in the columns appear to contain the words "Muhammad" and "Allah."

The Islamic script is quite beautiful. Incorporated into architecture most I've seen has been something like this:

3.1224641820.islamic-script.jpg

or this

2123_l.jpg

I like the way that script was incorporated into the upcoming Dubai Mosque's design. Here's a computer rendering of what it's supposed to look like:

http://www.constructionweekonline.com/pictures/gallery/Buildings/DubaiMosqueW.jpg

(big picture)

Tons of great architecture going on in Dubai. (or was until recently? depends on how far the bad economy is spread)

I have a girlfriend who can speak Arabic. I am not sure if she can read and write, but she can listen and understand. She got into an Army language immersion classout in California (this was way before 9/11) and I'm not too sure why she did it. She's a professor of tax law and had done some work in Africa....is Arabic spoken in parts of Africa?

Tons of great architecture going on in Dubai. (or was until recently? depends on how far the bad economy is spread)

I don't know how well they've weathered the recession, but they have some super cool buildings in the works. There's supposed to be an underwater hotel and a building with independently rotating floors, among other things.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq-QUkE1DGM]YouTube - Preview of World's First Rotating Skyscraper[/ame]

Holy crap! :eek:

My guess is that these projects will be abandoned, but you never know.

I'm curious, would someone islamophobic write something like this?

"I like it, it looks like a building's falling in on itself in the midst of destruction, very apropos for such a destructive people and cult. Fuck islam and there pathetic 14th century beliefs and insanity. I'll be in the streets dancing when that shit gets blown up.

Oh, was that insensitive? I'm so sorry, I actually feel sorry for billions of imbeciles worshipping a piece of shit pedophile. Send their rag heads back to the Middle East where they belong.....they don't fit in Western society, or any semi civilized society, they never will."

Seems pretty accurate, doesn't sound fearful, sounds fed up.

I don't know how well they've weathered the recession, but they have some super cool buildings in the works. There's supposed to be an underwater hotel and a building with independently rotating floors, among other things.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq-QUkE1DGM]YouTube - Preview of World's First Rotating Skyscraper[/ame]

Holy crap! :eek:

My guess is that these projects will be abandoned, but you never know.

Heh. :clap2::clap2:

That belongs in the "awesome" thread.

I have a girlfriend who can speak Arabic. I am not sure if she can read and write, but she can listen and understand. She got into an Army language immersion classout in California (this was way before 9/11) and I'm not too sure why she did it. She's a professor of tax law and had done some work in Africa....is Arabic spoken in parts of Africa?

Sure, especially in the northern parts. If I haven't bored you with enough pictures already, here's another. :tongue:

ArabicLanguageMap.jpg

As with English, each country speaks a different dialect. It's my understanding that Moroccan Arabic, for example, is barely comprehensible to speakers of some other dialects.

Yes, I do believe it is.

Forum List

Back