Park 51 Mosque Will Be Beautiful

Yuck.

Looks like giant wasps should be flying in and out of it. Just Gross. Anything that fugly always gets the tag "modern" slapped on it.

To be fair, I thought the WTC buildings were ugly too, in a plain Jane sort of way. (impressive size notwithstanding)

Yeah well, there are only so many ways to build a skyscraper, Ragnar. It's not like using brick is still an option...no more Empire State Buildings. For a modern building, I think it looks pretty "churchy".

Fair enough... opinions and assholes, everyone's got em. :razz:

Here is most beautiful buildings googled, some great, some fugly...

most beautiful buildings - Google Search

Yuck.

Looks like giant wasps should be flying in and out of it. Just Gross. Anything that fugly always gets the tag "modern" slapped on it.

To be fair, I thought the WTC buildings were ugly too, in a plain Jane sort of way. (impressive size notwithstanding)

Yeah well, there are only so many ways to build a skyscraper, Ragnar. It's not like using brick is still an option...no more Empire State Buildings. For a modern building, I think it looks pretty "churchy".

Good number of mosques there. :eusa_whistle:

Yeah...and some of them are the most beautiful buildings going. This thing they propose in NYC in my opinion is looks dumb.

Indeed, some I like quite a bit.

It's a shame the Community Center didn't use some of them for inspiration.

Yeah...and some of them are the most beautiful buildings going. This thing they propose in NYC in my opinion is looks dumb.

I guess it depends on your opinion of so-called modern art and architecture. There are a good number of examples of that in Manhattan.

new_museum_facade.jpg

If you don't like the whole modern thing, stay away from the New Museum. The interior is just as "modern." :lol:

You had better like this building, one day you'll be forced to pray in there

My favorite "modern" building is the addition to the Lourve in Paris....

15%20Louvre%20glass%20pyramid%20at%20sunset.jpg

And the Toldeo Museum of Glass is gorgeous....

389186989_b194693bba_o.jpg

But nothing like either of those would be suitable for a skyscraper.

I guess it depends on your opinion of so-called modern art and architecture. There are a good number of examples of that in Manhattan.

If you don't like the whole modern thing, stay away from the New Museum. The interior is just as "modern." :lol:

Well, Kalam, what do you think of the Park 51 plans?

I do like some so called modern stuff and nothing is more beautiful IMO as when form meets function in a new way.

Hell, I'm an Ayn Rand fan and I live like a mile from the University of Cincinnati's DAAP. I'm going to have opinions about architecture. :eusa_whistle:

I'll have to admit that I didn't really like the design either and wouldn't have liked it even if the developer had heeded public opinion and located the building a few blocks away from this location. (In which case I would have no problem with it whatsoever.)

But setting aside the controversy for a bit, I'll say that my first impression when I saw it was a huge wasp nest or hornet nest as somebody earlier characterized it. It is not aesthetically pleasing to my tastes. But that decision isn't up to me either. :)

article-0-0B72ADD0000005DC-399_306x520.jpg
article-0-0B72AEC6000005DC-452_306x520.jpg

Their design possibilities are limited to those that will work with skyscrapers. But yeah, I see what you're saying. I think they should have incorporated script into the design somehow.

See what the Park 51 Mosque and Community Center will look like....

Park51 Photos: Islamic Center Design Looks Modern, Secular In Artist Renderings

How gorgeous. Kudos to the architect.

well beauty is on the eye of the beholder, its looks like a bunch of giant bumble bees hived there....and the op link lost me at 'secular'.....

I did not even notice it has the word "secular" in the link, Trajan. I get newsfeeds on HuffPo over on facebook and I noticed the plans were out, so I thought it'd be interesting to discuss them.

I can see the bee-hivey thingie though...I just don't mind it. Anything is better than 18 stories of glass.

Madeline
Yak yak yak

Excuse me.
You abandon opportunities to learn, you adopt opinions to slur those who object to Islam do to Islams fundamental tenants . Genocide.
I have given you quite a few links to websites. All of them Islamic sites I visit daily. Sites visited by 10s of thousands of muslims daily .

You want to dismiss them as "unislamic" go ahead.

You have a preconceived opinion of Islam.
That is your bigotry not mine.
Names ?
which one exactly was it. ?

Do you think you will learn about Islamic scripture from editorials on Islam ?

Do you think the opinions on the links you provided represent Islamic scripture?

Yeah, just take it all at face value until you have enough knowledge to know what questions to ask .

Open contempt?
No.
Beneath contempt, until you start being honest.

See what the Park 51 Mosque and Community Center will look like....

Park51 Photos: Islamic Center Design Looks Modern, Secular In Artist Renderings

How gorgeous. Kudos to the architect.

well beauty is on the eye of the beholder, its looks like a bunch of giant bumble bees hived there....and the op link lost me at 'secular'.....

I did not even notice it has the word "secular" in the link, Trajan. I get newsfeeds on HuffPo over on facebook and I noticed the plans were out, so I thought it'd be interesting to discuss them.

I can see the bee-hivey thingie though...I just don't mind it. Anything is better than 18 stories of glass.

no problem, just making a general observation....

I am more of a classical georgian/neo georgian guy, it goes with the neighborhood as well, this thing is totally alien....

Last edited:

Well, Kalam, what do you think of the Park 51 plans?

I like the design of the building. It's very interesting and I think the whiteness and simplicity will provide an ideal atmosphere for prayer and devotion.

;)

It probably wouldn't be my first choice, but I do think the design is somewhat appealing and would like to visit once it's constructed.

Their design possibilities are limited to those that will work with skyscrapers. But yeah, I see what you're saying. I think they should have incorporated script into the design somehow.

That would be something. The script is quite beautiful.

What, like Arabic writing? That could have been interesting but Kalam, it's so curvey...there can't be much you can do with it all over the face of the whole building?

Might have been nice to see the architect "mirror" the Alhambra Palace a bit, was my thought. But o well.

O now seriously, Mr. Fitnah...you are seeing things that are not there. I get the feeling you would not like the renditions no matter which architect they had decided to go with and how the plans looked.

And seriously we know how honest you are about all thing Islam.
All over the top postulating
mr-fitnah-albums-avy-picture2001-iconjet.jpg

Just do it,

Think of the possibilities .

mr-fitnah-albums-forum-pics-picture600-bandit.jpg

ok-wink.gif

Mr. Fitnah, I know that you are frustrated because we do not agree. I am still trying to learn, but it seems to me what I need to know about Islam is best learned from Muslims.

Altmuslimah @OnFaith: What does a Muslim woman look like? - On Faith at washingtonpost.com

And from religious leaders of christianity and Judaism, who have studied Islam.

Faith leaders speak out against 'Islamophobia' - AnnArbor.com

Interfaith Councils of Orange County

I am still trying to learn from the non-Mulsims here who, like you, abhore Islam but it is virtually impossible not to discount what you say as irrational fear. And frankly, all the name calling helps not one little bit.

So if you choose not to discuss Islam with me anymore, I will understand. I'd prefer that over your open contempt.

I guess the best things learned about Hitler was from the Nazi's, right?

Maybe America was just Naziphobic. Ya think?

Forum List

Back