Paris, Texas Forum Dissolves Into Shouting

William Joyce

Chemotherapy for PC
Jan 23, 2004
Caucasiastan
Paris, Texas, race relations dialogue turns into dispute -- chicagotribune.com

"I'm here to talk about racism. I don't see any sense in playing games, pretending it doesn't exist," said Brenda Cherry, the African-American leader of a local civil rights group. "When you go in the schools and see mostly black kids sitting in detention—it's racism. In court, we get high bonds, we get longer sentences. If that's not racism, what is it?"

Uh... black people just being bad?

Jason Rogers, the youth pastor of a local black church, reminded the audience of the monument honoring fallen Confederate soldiers that sits on the front lawn of the county courthouse.

"When I take my 5-year-old son up to the courthouse, and he says, 'Daddy, what's that?' the history I'm going to tell him is that those people fought to keep me a slave," Rogers said, as black members of the audience nodded in agreement. "It bothers my family that there's a large Confederate soldier outside the courthouse. I don't see the difference between a Confederate soldier and a Nazi soldier."

Uh... so there's a black president, but your big concern is the Confederacy and the Nazis?

Last edited:
WJ
Maybe the black people don’t like this - (taken from your link) -

In fact, Paris' bloody racial history hung over the meeting like a toxic cloud.

The event was held in a hall at the Paris Fairgrounds, the precise spot where, a century ago, thousands of white citizens gathered to cheer the ritualized lynchings of blacks, chaining them to a flagpole or lashing them to a scaffold before tearing them to pieces and setting them on fire.

But memories of much more recent black victims also filled the room as Paris resident Jacqueline McClelland approached the microphone.

McClelland's 24-year-old son, Brandon, was killed last year, allegedly at the hands of two white men, who authorities charge dragged him beneath a pickup truck until his body was nearly dismembered. The accused killers are awaiting trial on murder charges, although McClelland's family and civil rights leaders want hate crime charges added as well.

Sounds like a town you would like to live in.:cuckoo:

Last edited:
Paris, Texas, race relations dialogue turns into dispute -- chicagotribune.com

"I'm here to talk about racism. I don't see any sense in playing games, pretending it doesn't exist," said Brenda Cherry, the African-American leader of a local civil rights group. "When you go in the schools and see mostly black kids sitting in detention—it's racism. In court, we get high bonds, we get longer sentences. If that's not racism, what is it?"

Uh... black people just being bad?

Jason Rogers, the youth pastor of a local black church, reminded the audience of the monument honoring fallen Confederate soldiers that sits on the front lawn of the county courthouse.

"When I take my 5-year-old son up to the courthouse, and he says, 'Daddy, what's that?' the history I'm going to tell him is that those people fought to keep me a slave," Rogers said, as black members of the audience nodded in agreement. "It bothers my family that there's a large Confederate soldier outside the courthouse. I don't see the difference between a Confederate soldier and a Nazi soldier."

Uh... so there's a black president, but your big concern is the Confederacy and the Nazis?
?

How about getting an education before spouting off to your son about slavery. South Carolina was the only state to list their reason for succession as "slavery" all other southern states listed "states rights". Four slave holding states remained with the north and their slaves were not freed until AFTER the civil war was over. The Emancipation Proclamation didn't free anybody. It exempted all slaves in northern territory as well as those in southern territory already under northern control.

Only 5% of our population held slaves and some of that 5%, albeit a very small part, was black.

We now have a black president. 50% of whites voted for him, 90% of blacks voted for him...where is the racism again?

Again the statements suggests that their continues to be significant resistance in accepting any personal responsibility for behaviors that end with negative consequences. As long as scapegoating others is par for the course, there will be no change. Of course, the playing field could be leveled with the National Civilian Security Force.

WJ
Maybe the black people don’t like this - (taken from your link) -

In fact, Paris' bloody racial history hung over the meeting like a toxic cloud.

The event was held in a hall at the Paris Fairgrounds, the precise spot where, a century ago, thousands of white citizens gathered to cheer the ritualized lynchings of blacks, chaining them to a flagpole or lashing them to a scaffold before tearing them to pieces and setting them on fire.

But memories of much more recent black victims also filled the room as Paris resident Jacqueline McClelland approached the microphone.

McClelland's 24-year-old son, Brandon, was killed last year, allegedly at the hands of two white men, who authorities charge dragged him beneath a pickup truck until his body was nearly dismembered. The accused killers are awaiting trial on murder charges, although McClelland's family and civil rights leaders want hate crime charges added as well.

Sounds like a town you would like to live in.:cuckoo:

This is an excuse to hate all white people? Lynching 100 years ago, and an unproven crime today? If that's all it takes to hate white people -- or any race -- then race relations will never work.

But you would NEVER say blacks have to do anything toward that, would you? To you, all whites are bad, all blacks are good.

Who's racist again?

Her son is dead you complete taintwallow.

Its the History of this country , what the HELL do you expect that man to tell his child...LIES?

The history should never be Cleaned up to make white people or ANY people feel better.

History is told so that we dont make the same idiotic mistakes all over again.

Face the Facts this nation grew rich because some enslaved human beings and profited from their misery.

ITS THE FUCKING TRUTH.

Face the Facts this nation grew rich because some enslaved human beings and profited from their misery.

ITS THE FUCKING TRUTH.

You're suggesting that any percentage of our GDP is the result of cotton-picking black slaves more than 100 years ago?

Apostrophe skipper, that ISN'T the truth.

Blacks don't add wealth. They subtract it. Want to facts to face? Visit Haiti. Then visit Sweden. Then we'll talk.

This is an excuse to hate all white people? Lynching 100 years ago, and an unproven crime today? If that's all it takes to hate white people -- or any race -- then race relations will never work.

This is defiantly not an excuse to hate all white people but a pretty good reason to hate white racists. That’s all it takes to hate white racists.

But you would NEVER say blacks have to do anything toward that, would you? To you, all whites are bad, all blacks are good.

I would always say it takes both black and white people to make race relations work. One race can’t do it alone. To me there are good and bad people of every race.

Who's racist again?

YOU!!!

Forum List

Back