Parents Who Prayed While Child Died Charged

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Shogun, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Reckless Homicide Charges Filed After 11-Year-Old With Untreated Disease Dies

By DAVID SCHOETZ
    April 28, 2008

The parents of an 11-year-old Wisconsin girl who prayed instead of seeking medical help for the diabetic child are facing homicide charges in connection with her death.

Dale and Leilani Neumann were charged with second-degree reckless homicide, Marathon County District Attorney Jill Falstad announced at a press conference today. If convicted, the couple could be sentenced to up to 25 years in prison.

"It is very surprising, shocking that she wasn't allowed medical intervention," Falstad said.

Madeline Kara Neumann, who went by the name Kara, died in March at a hospital in Everest, Wis. Her parents called 911 after she stopped breathing on Easter Sunday.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/DiabetesResource/story?id=4741254&page=1

2. cbi0090

cbi0090 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Horrible!!

3. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    I have meet people like this, talked to a young boy often who eventually died of some crippling disease that may have been cured, but he thought it was what he was supposed to do. How do change them when this is what they believe and if death comes they still believe this is what should be. Obviously, I would exclude small children but even here we don't interfere in families usually.

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    We interfere in cases of medical neglect on a regular basis.

In this particular case, it was reckless disregard for the life of the child.

5. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    I agree, but allow me to be devil's advocate, in their eyes this wasn't neglect.

6. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    But that's unacceptable. They get to make those decisions for themselves...not for a child

Why would you want to play devil's advocate for them?

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Why not play Devil's advocate? You cannot be tolerant only when it suits you. If you are going to claim "tolerance" as part of your political ideology, then EVERYONE deserves it, not just the ones you agree with.

Easy to sit and judge when you think you know all the answers on a subject and close your mind to anything else.

8. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    Because they killed a kid. That doesn't deserve tolerance. If they wanted to kill themselves, I'd have no problem with it....

as far as I'm concerned murderers are murderers and rapists are rapists, even if they decide its in the name of religion.

9. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Tolerance doesn't extend to the negligent killing of children.

You don't need to know "all the answers on a subject" to know that if your kid has a life-threatening illness, you take them to the doctors/hospital/medical care as opposed to praying for them. Freedom of religion doesn't include killing your kids.

10. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,113
    well, i can see this from both angles....the devil's side :rofl: j/k, and jillian's as well.

let me start with, my heart goes out to these parents and how saddened they must be with their loss of their child.

i think midcan is correct regarding these parents, they did not know that they were doing wrong....bear with me on this religious rant....i just can't help it, it is a part of me....

if using God's old testament laws and judgements as example, they would probably not be punished in any major way imo.

why, you ask?

well, because i think that an intent with malice- to harm, was not present with the parents.

though negligence is also punishable in the old testament, never, ever to the degree of someone intentionally causing harm.

to me, it should be involuntary manslaughter or something like this, at most!

this is where i agree with jillian... if we do not charge these people (with something... but homocide is way too harsh imo), then others that believe the same as this couple, will never be made aware that this couple was WRONG in their actions, and sadly other children of people in this particular religion may continue to die...so a commotion and trial regarding this couple, may actually be what is necessary to prevent further unnecessary, deaths.

it would be negligent- on the State's end of protecting its citizens from harm, if they did not press some sort of charges against them, is sadly... how i see it, under these circumstances.

let me repeat that reckless homicide/ 2nd degree murder, is too harsh!!!

care