Parents who kill or maim to protect their kids: Would you?

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
Parents have a natural instinct to protect their children.

Mama bears will maim – or even kill – anyone who nears their cubs.

And a Tucson dad reportedly stabbed two men after he heard one of them sexually assaulted his daughter, according to an announcement from the Tucson Police Department.

While mama bears usually don’t end up in jail, Tucson dad Alejandro Ruiz, 36, was arrested after the June 5 stabbing of two men.

Ruiz reportedly heard his 16-year-old daughter was sexually assaulted by “an adult male” while she was at a June 4 gathering at the guy’s house on West District Street, near South Sixth Avenue.

So Ruiz allegedly breaks into the guy’s house the next morning, stabbing both the 25-year-old guy and the guy’s 41-year-old uncle.

Both the sexual assault suspect and his uncle survived the stabbings, and Ruiz was quickly picked up by cops after he fled the scene.

Ruiz now faces charges of two counts of aggravated assault with a dangerous weapon and aggravated assault with serious physical injury as well as one count of first-degree burglary. We’re guessing the latter is for breaking in the guy’s house.

Taking the law into our own hands is not really recommended. The justice system is supposed to take care of that. But rage, revenge and a parent’s natural instinct to protect his children are apt to override such recommendations.

And we still have to ask one question – Was it worth it?

Perhaps the visceral act of plunging a “dangerous weapon” into someone who hurt your child outweighs the lawful course of action, which doesn’t always guarantee the proverbial justice will be done. Perhaps avenging a wrong done to your child is worth any prison time.

A similar situation went down in March, when a Tucson dad Daniel Renteria, 27, reportedly shot and killed Richard Rue Jr., 40, and James J. Marschinke, 49, while the two were sitting in their front yard in the 5300 block of East 25th Street.

Marschinke is accused of sexually molesting Renteria’s 3-year-old son.

So far Renteria has been indicted for two counts of manslaughter, rather than first-degree murder, according to a report in the Arizona Daily Star, after grand jurors heard about the molestation accusations.

Sounds like these jurors agree that parents who take the law into their own hands to protect their children should get a bit of leeway.

Parents who kill or maim to protect their kids: Would you? - Rynski's Blogski

If I was a parent, yea. Even not being a parent, there are children in my family and I'm quietly confident that I would do likewise for them.

I really don't want to come across as a legal weenie, but I have to in order to make my point.

If the father blasted them away with a shotgun, I think he might stand a chance at coming up with a father's rage defense. All it takes is one squeeze of the trigger, and it's over in seconds. With a knife, on the other hand, methinks a prosecutor can successfully argue that at some point, the rage wears off and the father would soon be aware of what he was doing. Or, even better, you have to get real close to someone in order to do damage with a knife. That gives you time to think about what you're doing and where you're going to strike. Whereas with a shotgun, you come in, yell something incoherent, blast away, and then crumble to the floor lamenting, "My god, what have I done?"

Having said all that, I side with the father on this one even though he clearly violated the law. I would sacrifice myself if I had the chance to take out two pieces of shit who violated my daughter. Difference is that I would make sure they didn't survive.

Yeah, online bravado, I know. But after all, this is the internet!

...........Ruiz reportedly heard his 16-year-old daughter was sexually assaulted by “an adult male” while she was at a June 4 gathering at the guy’s house on West District Street, near South Sixth Avenue.

'assaulted' yeah right, more likely whoring around. daddy shoulda raised her better.

If the sexuall assault charges are true he should'nt be given leeway, He should be given a medal.

Forum List

Back