Parents Stand Up to the Failed Education System and Win

She must be getting some of the highest salaries in the nation and I haven't had "free health care" in about a decade. So the NYT has taken the very best situations in the nation and highlighted them...good for her. The unions typically are good for taking the very worst situations, the ones in which teachers barely make $30K a year, which is ridiculous as well. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

Agreed - which is why I posted the 'middling' $70,000.

It's what I know about the state I live in.

She must be getting some of the highest salaries in the nation and I haven't had "free health care" in about a decade. So the NYT has taken the very best situations in the nation and highlighted them...good for her. The unions typically are good for taking the very worst situations, the ones in which teachers barely make $30K a year, which is ridiculous as well. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

The average teacher salary in the US is considerably lower than that though....just under 60K. So 70K is not "middling", it's higher than average, and certainly 100K is much, much higher

Those who cry about education need to give up their ridiculously easy jobs, bloated salaries, and go in and teach for the pittance teachers receive or they should keep quiet.

Is $70k a year considered a pittance?

Very few teachers make $70,000 a year. I taught for 21 years and never made more then $53K.

ROCHESTER
THIS is a great economic time to be a veteran public schoolteacher. Valerie Huff, a math teacher at East High here, a tough urban school, made more than $102,000 last year.

“A good salary? I wouldn’t disagree with you,” Ms. Huff said. “Took me a long time to get there.” She started teaching in 1978 for $11,250 a year and, in those early days, worked a second job, bartending, to make ends meet.

But in the late 1980s, teacher salaries took a jump across the country, and they just kept improving, to the point that now, with the economic collapse, a lot of people who sneered at teachers, wish they had it so good.

Health insurance? “My health care is free,” Ms. Huff said.

Security? “Long as there’s kids, I have a job.”

Pension? “Guaranteed pension. I hit the magic numbers last June — 55 and 30.”

That’s 55 years old with 30 years of experience, at which point teachers across New York State can retire with an annual income of about 60 percent of their top salary — likely to be between $60,000 and $70,000 a year in Ms. Huff’s case.

Teacher Salaries Rise to $100K

Did you notice that they gave 30 years in teaching ? It is hard to get a new job with any experience. No one would hire me at 20 years and they told me it was because my salary was twice that of a starting teacher.

The last full year I worked, they would only hire me because they literally could not find anyone else.

Last edited:
California. So you think that one school is typical of all public schools in this nation?

Being a perpetual dumbass, you probably do.

Check this out:

"This school is rated below average in school quality compared to other schools in California. Students here perform below average on state tests, are making below average year-over-year academic improvement, and this school has below average results in how well it’s serving disadvantaged students."

My three kids received a much better education than I did 40+ years ago. California? Probably not because of the increased number of illegals. But you keep that broad brush handy, dumbass!
Explore Palm Lane Elementary School in Anaheim, CA
You really going to keep pushing that kids today are as educated as kids 50 years ago?

My children received a much better education than I did 40 years ago. California? Probably not, but you just keep using that broad brush, dumbass

I doubt that your kids or any of their classmates could name three of America's Founding Fathers if I spotted them Franklin and Adams

Well considering I taught American history and American Government in the high school from which they graduated, I would would bet you a horse turd to a doughnut and even let you hold the stakes in your mouth that you would be wrong.

The problem that you people seem to not understand is that many of you are not qualified to assess some one else's education because you are dumbass yourself!

Is that you Mr seevee?

Well considering I taught American history and American Government in the high school from which they graduated, I would would bet you a horse turd to a doughnut and even let you hold the stakes in your mouth that you would be wrong.

The problem that you people seem to not understand is that many of you are not qualified to assess some one else's education because you are dumbass yourself!

Is that you Mr seevee?

I have no idea what you are saying. Would you care to try that again?

Lighten up!

It was a shout out to my American History and Am Govt teacher.

How would anyone besides you know what that meant? Are you not educated enough to see that is not the way you respond?

$70,000 is far above the average starting salary and is twice the salary which I started, and I started on step 5 of our scale because of military experience.

Forum List

Back