Parents Outraged: Homosexual Teacher Reads "Gay Fairy Tale" To 3rd Graders

Scaring kids to avoid risky behaviors has been a popular strategy of sex educators for a long time. The photo of a black, diseased lung of a smoker and the oozing, puss-filled sore of Syphilis, are forever embedded in our brains. Sex education programs are getting away from scare tactics because evidence shows them to be ineffective.

Parents have been trying to scare their kids since they started walking (“Be careful, you’re going to fall, Mom’s leaving without you if you don’t come now,”). It seems like fear would be a good thing for kids, but they don’t internalize it. They say, “Ok, Mom, I’ll wear a helmet” just to appease us, and take it off as soon as they are out of eyesight. They don’t believe scary things will happen to them, so they just ignore the message.

When you tell kids "if you don't use a condom, you'll get pregnant, suffer 9 months of hell, get kicked out school, and live a life of shame, they know that's not true and you have lost all creditably. Instead, you tell the true, the good, the bad, and the ugly without embellishments are scare tactics. Over 70% of the kids will have sex before they leave their teens. There's no way to stop them but we can get them the information and the support they need to make the right decisions.

You can't use 100% scare tactics of course, it's got to be a mix of truth, "scare", and, the one we always forget, entertainment/fun - the latter of which is the part I think we most need if we want kids to internalize it imo. Unfortunately, that has almost no chance of happening in the US because this country clings onto an antiquated notion that sex isn't supposed to be "enjoyable," which then pushes sex education into a "serious discussion" which kids often find boring, or worse, a waste of their time.

By the time we had a sex education class in my schools it was too late for at least 50% of the class; not that we had all had already had sex, but that we had heard about it (including graphic "techniques") on the grapevine from those who had, plus through various condom/birth control advertising. A somewhat incomplete knowledge and lacking some important facts and details, but it was enough for the class to be redundant and boring. Personally my parents had talked to me about sex years before school did, but I know that's not always the norm.
It's good you're parents did talk to you; many don't. Sex education should be an going process involving both parents and schools. Kids that get comprehensive sex education in schools will be in a much better position to talk to their kids. Someday I think we will reach a point where parents and teachers will be able to discuss sex with kids just as they might discuss homework, sports, or any other activity kids are involved in.

Kids are not born with any sexual hangups. They learn them from us.

^^ One can hope. The sad reality though is that a LOT, if not most, parents /don't/ talk to their kids about homework, sports, or any other activity their kids are involved in these days...

Forum List

Back