Parents Outrage At School Over Gay Storybook

jillian said:
Well, if three people observe the same thing, they might derive different opinions from what they observed. :)

Still not unreasonable to ask what was observed.

But it wasn't three people. It was her.

I have no reason to doubt her opinion based on her observations. Mainly because I have the same opinion. Parents who won't discipline their kids, don't make their kids work for anything, etc.

You see a kid running around a grocery store, playing with all the items, screaming. You mention something to the mother about her child and she replies, "Oh he always acts like that. I never discipline him because his dad and I feel that discipline restricts his creativity."

It would be a safe assumption that as the kid gets older, he is going to have problems listening to authority.

An opinion based on observation.

With mom, I can only assume (and do assume) that she saw something that gave her that opinion.

Got Zoom..You see a kid running around a grocery store, playing with all the items, screaming. You mention something to the mother about her child and she replies, "Oh he always acts like that. I never discipline him because his dad and I feel that discipline restricts his creativity."

I observe things like that all the time, to the point where there are certain restaurants I won't eat in anymore because parents refuse to even acknowledge their kids are disrupting everyone else's dinner. I feel like asking them if anyone there is actually in charge, my guess would be the kids.

Bonnie said:
I observe things like that all the time, to the point where there are certain restaurants I won't eat in anymore because parents refuse to even acknowledge their kids are disrupting everyone else's dinner. I feel like asking them if anyone there is actually in charge, my guess would be the kids.

Excellent observation and I concur with your opinion.

(couldn't resist)

Dr Grump said:
Interesting you should bring this up. My eldest started school six months ago. At the first parents/teacher evening my other half rocked along (I babysat the kids). Three parents from my son's class turned up. A month ago they had an evening to discuss the upcoming cirriculum - two turned up. I asked a couple of parents the next day if they knew about it. They did, but were too busy....My son got a principal's award for the end of term. His teacher said when she had to pick a student from her class to get the award it was a no brainer. Now, I reckon my son is bright (what parent doesn't!!!), but I reckon a lot of it has to do with the effort put in at home (especially by my other half) and making sure he does his homework etc.
Keep doing it Grump, and do more! It is difficult but it pays-off. It did for my daughter. We had our fingers in all she did at school (no we did not do the work for her, but we always knew what was going on).

She is to graduate soon from HS, not directly from her HS, but from a college. She has attended her final HS year at college taking college level courses. She will have her HS diploma plus 1 year of college credit.

This has not been without difficulty, however. Be aware that parent involvement is NOT the norm in public school and they seem to reject it more and more. Get ready for the suggestion of Ritalin. Yep, drugs! Why? cuz yer kid is active, advanced and bored with the mundane routine, and they (the schools) can't handle that.

We went private after 6th grade and never looked back.

GotZoom said:
But it wasn't three people. It was her.

I have no reason to doubt her opinion based on her observations. Mainly because I have the same opinion. Parents who won't discipline their kids, don't make their kids work for anything, etc.

You see a kid running around a grocery store, playing with all the items, screaming. You mention something to the mother about her child and she replies, "Oh he always acts like that. I never discipline him because his dad and I feel that discipline restricts his creativity."

It would be a safe assumption that as the kid gets older, he is going to have problems listening to authority.

An opinion based on observation.

With mom, I can only assume (and do assume) that she saw something that gave her that opinion.

That's fine. But I was simply asking what it was that led to the assertion.

I think what you're talking about is bad parenting and has nothing to do with the educational system, though... I hate it when people let their kids run wild and act in a way that shows they have no manners. But I always figure it's the parents who have no manners and don't think about it as a school issue.

jillian said:
That's fine. But I was simply asking what it was that led to the assertion.

I think what you're talking about is bad parenting and has nothing to do with the educational system, though... I hate it when people let their kids run wild and act in a way that shows they have no manners. But I always figure it's the parents who have no manners and don't think about it as a school issue.

Shouldn't the parents re-enforce what the school teaches and vice versa?

GotZoom said:
Shouldn't the parents re-enforce what the school teaches and vice versa?

In some cases, yes. In some cases, no. If the school is teaching something you don't like, it's up to you, as a parent, to explain to your child that people can differ as to things, but this is the way I see it. You tell them "why" and reinforce THAT and they should, hopefully, be right there with you.

jillian said:
In some cases, yes. In some cases, no. If the school is teaching something you don't like, it's up to you, as a parent, to explain to your child that people can differ as to things, but this is the way I see it. You tell them "why" and reinforce THAT and they should, hopefully, be right there with you.

Why don't you just home school him so he won't keep getting all these mixed messages?

jillian said:

To a point yes, but it's not the school systems place to take it upon themselves to teach that homosexuality is normal or any other kind of morality other than behave and be courteous, the rest is soley up to parents, and it is the parents responsibility to know what kind of things are being taught and have some say about it.

I do agree that they shouldn't blur the line with some things. And parents definitely have to become involved to make sure that blurring doesn't happen.

However, things like respect, manners, consideration, team work, sharing, etc..should definitely be taught - in both the home and in school.

You guys just don't get it. The reason kids are assholes is primarily because their parents don't beat them often enough. I'm dead serious. I dunno if I've met a single adult worth something who didn't get appropriate beatings for their f'ups.

Your kids fails Math. Don't groud him. Whoop his ass.

:)

Ta-da.

Got Zoom.. However, things like respect, manners, consideration, team work, sharing, etc..should definitely be taught - in both the home and in school.

Exactly!!

Bonnie said:
To a point yes, but it's not the school systems place to take it upon themselves to teach that homosexuality is normal or any other kind of morality other than behave and be courteous, the rest is soley up to parents, and it is the parents responsibility to know what kind of things are being taught and have some say about it.

I don't have a problem with my son learning that there are all kinds of families. Sorry. I know that's an issue for some of you guys. But from the time he was a baby, one of my friends has been around him with his significant other who also happens to be another man. To him, and to us, to tell the truth, it just isn't a big deal....same as my Asian or black or anything else friends aren't a big deal either.

jillian said:
I don't have a problem with my son learning that there are all kinds of families. Sorry. I know that's an issue for some of you guys. But from the time he was a baby, one of my friends has been around him with his significant other who also happens to be another man. To him, and to us, to tell the truth, it just isn't a big deal.

Well--if he was the only kid in his class, that might be cool. Unfortunately even people people who think differently than you deserve tolerance.

jillian said:
I don't have a problem with my son learning that there are all kinds of families. Sorry. I know that's an issue for some of you guys. But from the time he was a baby, one of my friends has been around him with his significant other who also happens to be another man. To him, and to us, to tell the truth, it just isn't a big deal.

All valid, and I have a few gay friends that I have had forever since highschool, but it will be my decision as to how I raise my son or daughter in treating them with respect etc, not for the school to teach, that's crossing a line and taking too many liberties with my children. I shouldn't be placed in a situation in which I have to undo what the school has done in some respects.

Forum List

Back