Parents of Tyler Clementi plan to sue Rutgers

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
The parents of a Rutgers University student who killed himself after his roommate allegedly used a webcam to spy on him during a tryst with another man have filed notice that they intend to sue the school.

Joseph and Jane Clementi, parents of Tyler Clementi, filed the notice on Friday. They have to wait six months to file the lawsuit over their son's death, which became a symbol in a national outcry over the bullying of young gays.

In the notice, the couple said "it appears Rutgers University failed to act, failed to put in place and/or failed to implement, and enforce policies and practices that would have prevented or deterred such acts, and that Rutgers failed to act timely and appropriately."

Parents of Tyler Clementi plan to sue Rutgers University | NJ.com

We don't know everything about this case, so I'm kinda on the fence. If Tyler was being harrassed, or knew he was being filmed and reported it, the school should have acted.

However, "failure to prevent" seems rather utopian. Should the school ban all webcams? Should they search student dorms and forbid sex? How on earth can a university with tens of thousand of students monitor behavior and prevent "bullying"? Rutgers is a very "gay friendly" school. It has been since I went there many, many years ago.

Comments?

The parents of a Rutgers University student who killed himself after his roommate allegedly used a webcam to spy on him during a tryst with another man have filed notice that they intend to sue the school.

Joseph and Jane Clementi, parents of Tyler Clementi, filed the notice on Friday. They have to wait six months to file the lawsuit over their son's death, which became a symbol in a national outcry over the bullying of young gays.

In the notice, the couple said "it appears Rutgers University failed to act, failed to put in place and/or failed to implement, and enforce policies and practices that would have prevented or deterred such acts, and that Rutgers failed to act timely and appropriately."

Parents of Tyler Clementi plan to sue Rutgers University | NJ.com

We don't know everything about this case, so I'm kinda on the fence. If Tyler was being harrassed, or knew he was being filmed and reported it, the school should have acted.

However, "failure to prevent" seems rather utopian. Should the school ban all webcams? Should they search student dorms and forbid sex? How on earth can a university with tens of thousand of students monitor behavior and prevent "bullying"? Rutgers is a very "gay friendly" school. It has been since I went there many, many years ago.

Comments?

It is all about the money.

Of course it is. And as I've highlighted many times on here, NJ politicians love to exploit child deaths in order to get their names in the paper. Tyler's suicide was a golden opportunity for photo ops with the grieving parents. It makes me sick.

But anyone who lost a child wants someone to pay. Shouldn't they be suing the guilty perps? Or is it a case of "deeper pockets"?

Of course it is. And as I've highlighted many times on here, NJ politicians love to exploit child deaths in order to get their names in the paper. Tyler's suicide was a golden opportunity for photo ops with the grieving parents. It makes me sick.

But anyone who lost a child wants someone to pay. Shouldn't they be suing the guilty perps? Or is it a case of "deeper pockets"?

It is always about the money. The real hope I am sure, is that the University will settle out of Court to avoid the publicity. A Family sued has no such worry.

Well settling out of court will cost the taxpayers of NJ, so I'm not crazy about that idea. But it is entirely possible that they will demand policy changes as well. They've got a whole slew of opportunist politicians salivating over new legislation to "prevent" gay suicide. THAT'S what will cost the real money. :( New regs. New bureaucracies to monitor the regs. New lawsuits challenging the regs...:doubt:

I don't know anything about the case, and I don't personally care about the case.

But this is a perfect example of one thing that sucks about America: the right to sue anyone at anytime for anything without any real negative consequence if you lose or if the lawsuit is determined frivolous.

Risk-free lawsuits! YAY!!!

I don't know anything about the case, and I don't personally care about the case.

But this is a perfect example of one thing that sucks about America: the right to sue anyone at anytime for anything without any real negative consequence if you lose or if the lawsuit is determined frivolous.

And Democrats run by Liberal lawyers have OPPOSED every effort by States and the Federal Government to rein them in. Every effort to rein in ridiculous Jury awards and to cap awards. Now I am sure the minority Conservative Lawyers love the system too but they have no say in it.

Everyone remember Senator Edwards from NC? He convinced a Jury to award MILLIONS of dollars to a family and himself of course by pretending to be the baby. He convinced a retarded jury that cerebral Palsy is caused by MALPRACTICE. It was one of his biggest cases and made him tons of money and prestige as a scum bag ambulance chasing lawyer.

Tort reform isn't an issue for just New Jersey's businesses and physicians. Budgeting for extensive litigation throughout New Jersey's school districts is having an impact. Just as in the private sector, lawsuit abuse carries consequences. But when it impacts schools, the impact is felt by students and taxpayers, rather than consumers.

The average New Jersey school district allocates approximately $26,000 each school year for litigation expenses. In seven districts, this figure was higher than $500,000 for the 2009-2010 school year. And as one Morris County school district learned, sometimes all it takes is one bad lawyer to affect their budget priorities for years to come.

Legal costs are an issue for N.J. school budgets | Commentary | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

There are 606 school districts in NJ. And that's just K-12 schools. Imagine what it must cost for state universities. :evil:

The article is misleading. They have to file within 90 or they lose their chance to EVER sue.

So they filed.

We shall see what the investigation uncovers.

And Democrats run by Liberal lawyers have OPPOSED every effort by States and the Federal Government to rein them in. Every effort to rein in ridiculous Jury awards and to cap awards. Now I am sure the minority Conservative Lawyers love the system too but they have no say in it.

Everyone remember Senator Edwards from NC? He convinced a Jury to award MILLIONS of dollars to a family and himself of course by pretending to be the baby. He convinced a retarded jury that cerebral Palsy is caused by MALPRACTICE. It was one of his biggest cases and made him tons of money and prestige as a scum bag ambulance chasing lawyer.

Goddamn fucking liberrhoid demoncraps!!!

its the old diving board syndrome.....sue everyone in sight. See many diving boards around anymore?

anyway the article doesn't say a lot really, for instance did the camera guy film him strictly because he was gay OR because sex was involved, was it ‘malicious’? we all know, that many many web cam incidents occur at/in dorms whatever due to the sheer salaciousness of the event period.
How many web cam recordings do we think there are of say woman on woman? there are web sites dedicated to such ( someone told me:eusa_whistle:). What? Because a woman has not offed herself because of one there is no issue?

I believe it was malicious. I think the two kids were expelled from school. I just don't see the culpability of Rutgers. College students are adults. And universities are not their parents. If this happened in an apartment complex and not a dorm, would the landlord be liable?

Forum List

Back