Parents Complain About Christian Group's Presentation in School

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
NEWARK, Del. — A group called “Athletes United in Christ” sparked parent complaints at a Delaware high school assembly when it tried to promote a religious concert.

The presentation at Newark High School in Newark, Del., was held with the purpose of encouraging students to make the right choices in life.

Two parents complained about the Christian group, which handed out fliers about the concert and displayed its logo, which has the word "Christ" and a cross on it. The school immediately apologized, with the principal saying “Athletes United in Christ” crossed the line.

"Parents found that offensive, and we certainly apologized for that. I apologize for that. But I do not apologize for the message," said Newark High Principal Emmanuel Caulk.

That message came from Philadelphia Eagles football player Tra Thomas, who founded the organization. Those familiar with the speech he made say he didn’t talk about Christianity.

But the Delaware ACLU calls the presentation another attempt to work religion into public schools.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,174958,00.html

-Cp said:
NEWARK, Del. — A group called “Athletes United in Christ” sparked parent complaints at a Delaware high school assembly when it tried to promote a religious concert.

The presentation at Newark High School in Newark, Del., was held with the purpose of encouraging students to make the right choices in life.

Two parents complained about the Christian group, which handed out fliers about the concert and displayed its logo, which has the word "Christ" and a cross on it. The school immediately apologized, with the principal saying “Athletes United in Christ” crossed the line.

"Parents found that offensive, and we certainly apologized for that. I apologize for that. But I do not apologize for the message," said Newark High Principal Emmanuel Caulk.

That message came from Philadelphia Eagles football player Tra Thomas, who founded the organization. Those familiar with the speech he made say he didn’t talk about Christianity.

But the Delaware ACLU calls the presentation another attempt to work religion into public schools.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,174958,00.html

Bravo to the Principal!

I bet that parents wouldn't have objected if the United Muslim Front of Delaware wanted to do a "Diversity Program" - the parents would have embraced it.

GotZoom said:
Bravo to the Principal!

I bet that parents wouldn't have objected if the United Muslim Front of Delaware wanted to do a "Diversity Program" - the parents would have embraced it.

I'm not so sure that most parents would embrace such a diversity program. I know they certainly wouldn't in my neck of the woods. I'm sure things are much different in Delaware though.

GotZoom said:
Bravo to the Principal!

I don't think they would have embraced it, but I think they would have been hesitant to speak out against it...

The ClayTaurus said:
I don't think they would have embraced it, but I think they would have been hesitant to speak out against it...

Hmm. Afraid of being labeled politically incorrect? It's a possibility. I live in a pretty conservative area. I don't think people would be silent about bullshit like that.

Powerman said:
Hmm. Afraid of being labeled politically incorrect? It's a possibility. I live in a pretty conservative area. I don't think people would be silent about bullshit like that.

Where's the BS in presenting a balanced view which examines all the major religions? After all, there is no one path suitable to all people.

Bullypulpit said:
Where's the BS in presenting a balanced view which examines all the major religions? After all, there is no one path suitable to all people.

Wrong, Bully. According to the ACLU, there most certainly IS one path suitable to all people:

NOT CHRISTIANITY.

Forum List

Back