Parenting 101

I was merely pointing out that trying to sound like an 'expert' on certain matters about which one has no experience is a little ridiculous. But that is this kid's M.O. on many subjects.

How the fuck do you know I'm not an expert?

Prove that shit bitch...

You said yourself several times on this thread that you have no experience in the matter. And yet, you still feel qualified to pontificate over the "instincts" of others.

Shut the fuck up liar bitch.......

If you went back and read what I said it would be quite clear BITCH...

Now go ignorantly misinterpret someone elses words bitch..

I do have knowledge on the topic ...................

You have said yourself that you do NOT have experience in the topic at hand.

I said myself I have NEVER experienced stealing cars or having no parents...

I do know what it's like to grow up poor BITCH...

You don't know what its like to grow up poor bitch...

Here AGAIN we see your complete failure of logic. If you rubbed those two brain cells of yours together you might realize you can't know how I grew up, and you might even realize that growing up poor is NOT the topic of this thread nor the experience you seem to want to claim while at the same time admitting that you do not have same.

I hope you're drunk again, because that is the only possible excuse for the disaster that is your thought process.

How the fuck do you know I'm not an expert?

Prove that shit bitch...

You said yourself several times on this thread that you have no experience in the matter. And yet, you still feel qualified to pontificate over the "instincts" of others.

Your words were quite clear on the matter.

You have said yourself that you do NOT have experience in the topic at hand.

Here AGAIN we see your complete failure of logic. If you rubbed those two brain cells of yours together you might realize you can't know how I grew up, and you might even realize that growing up poor is NOT the topic of this thread nor the experience you seem to want to claim while at the same time admitting that you do not have same.

I hope you're drunk again, because that is the only possible excuse for the disaster that is your thought process.

Logic :lol::lol:

You don't even know what the word is defined as BITCH...

No, it's not always the parents' fault.

And people can only do their best, we're all hampered by our own foibles and inadequacies. I loved my older boys dearly but made some major mistakes with them. Now they're saddled with the backlash of those mistakes..their own personalities, that were molded by them, but the kids I'm raising now are benefiting from them (and never fear, it doesn't escape the notice of the older boys) because I won't make those mistakes again. I'm sure I'm making other mistakes though. To tell the truth, I'm sure it would have been better for the younger kids if I hadn't brought their brother here. But these are the trade offs we make. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. In this case, they get to know their older brother. So we have to walk sometimes and reaaallly stretch the menu (we're eating some interesting meals right now in this last week, I must say).

I was going to read through the thread, then respond to a couple of points. You've brought up one here though, that is important.

Bringing this older boy to your home, may be a good thing for both the younger ones and him. You seem to have the skills and experience to carry it off.

First thing, your op on 'chores', I think it was yours, is a step in the right direction. As both a parent of twenty something kids and more than a decade of teaching experience, kids need chores. In school one can spot the kids who do not contribute at home. They are disorganized, haven't a clue to how to work independently or in groups, and lack self-esteem. While I've only taught in middle and high schools, it's true in lower grades too.

Chores though need to be age appropriate, beginning around 2. It's not easy and the younger they are, the quicker you need to adapt their chores, getting a bit more detailed as they gain mastery. Toddlers can put their toys in a basket. As they get the hang of that, give them sets of baskets: big toys (stuffed animals, musical stuff, mostly 1 big piece stuff that's pretty indestructible), one for books, one for puzzles, and small ones for duplos, etc.

By later 3 or early 4, they can help with picking out clothes and laying them out for the next day. When feasible, they should be putting on their socks, underwear, pull up pants, some can even put on t-shirt or sweater if laid out correctly. They should know where dirty clothes go and put them there. They should put their shoes in closet or wherever you say they belong at the end of the day, (Your kid will not have 2 different shoes because he could only find one left one. They should be able to brush their teeth and have a place to put it away. They can tear lettuce for dinner and set the table. They can help pour liquids into a batter. With supervision they can even stir the batter.

By late 4 they should be dressing themselves in the morning, brushing their teeth, and be ready for the day before breakfast. They should know to wipe out the sink and dry off the counter. If they have an alarm clock that you set the time on and show them how to set the alarm, they can do that. If in preschool, they should know what they need in their book bag and have it ready to go by the door the night before. (Right there your child is light years ahead of the kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade peers).

By 5 most kids can handle a not too sharp knife or better yet, a vegetable cutter to help prepare salads. They can set the table after you show them, pour beverages, etc. They tend to eat what they help make and especially if they helped pick out the 'dinner food' at the grocery.

As kids get older, though many can make a bed by 5, add to what they can do. From dusting furniture, to vacuuming, to raking leaves, shoveling snow, taking out the trash. Expect them to mark a calendar of what their chores are, what activities they need to be at and when. They should check off when completed.

These types of routine segue easily into expectations in school by 3rd or 4th grade. Kids should be writing down their assignments, including anything they may need to make plans for, (i.e., buy posterboard, need new markers, get to library, ask mom for ride on Tuesday-project too big for bus, need $10 for field trip-in 2 weeks. How many kids ask for that the morning of? Parents don't have it, that's a crisis.)

All the activities tend to make homework a lower priority than it should be. Until middle school though, most activities tend not to immediately follow school, but start around 4-4:30. One of the best and hardest things I did when mine were small was to pick them up from school, tell them to change their clothes, gave them a snack and then homework. They really wanted to chill, truth was though they were still in school mode and wanted to either get out and play or get to soccer or whatever.

Now to my real point in this post. The age of the 'new son' is considerably older than the younger. He'll be capable of much more and that should be pointed out at a 'family meeting.' Think of it as one of those times, "Oh my! I never noticed how strong you've gotten, you are really becoming a young man!" Then to the little ones, "In a few years you too will be able to do what ____ is doing. He can be the one to help you carry in the groceries, while one of the younger ones carry in the gallon of milk or laundry detergent. The younger ones can grab the trash from the bedrooms, bathrooms, while he can bring the kitchen garbage to the cans and the cans to the curb.

Along with more responsibilities come privileges. I believe you mentioned pulling electronics by 11pm? In middle school that's late, really. Homework should be first done. If tv is on the menu, pick together-you having final say and limiting to an hour. Video games should be 1/2 hour or borrowed from whatever tv time you allow. Computer time should also be limited and always where you can see it. 5-7 year olds should be ready for bed and settled down by 8:30. 8-10 year olds by 9. 11-14 by 10.

High schoolers? Well that's tough, but parents should control electronics, including cell phones, ipads, etc., from 10-11 pm on. You can't make them go to sleep, but without ability to converse with peers, they will probably be out by 10:30. A word though, if your high schooler is into extra-curricular activities and hopefully they are; and taking honors/AP or having trouble in school, they may be doing homework until midnight or later some nights. They may need the computer and they need an adult presence as much as possible that late. (Again, the voice of experience. My youngest had the year from hell in his jr year. 4 AP courses, X-Country on an All-State team and he was All-State runner, track & field. Most nights he was up until 1:30 and left for training at 5:45 am, how he didn't come down with mono?) I probably stayed in kitchen 2 out of 5 nights, I had to leave for work myself at 6 am and I didn't do well with less than 6 hours of sleep.

Here's the thing with your 13 year old. Build him up in front of the younger boys. Make sure HE knows he's a model for them. He is the one they'll look to for eating, studying, friends, etc. Most kids, but especially boys, literally are thirsting for admiration: looks, smarts, strength, trustworthiness, kindness...

Most younger boys follow older ones, especially if their talents align. Might be sports, demeanor, manners, etc.

Good luck!

What a great post and I completely agree with everything!

I made it a point to let him know, as soon as we decided to have him move here, and before he even got here, that I considered him a model for the youngsters. You're absolutely right about building him up, and I work reallly hard to do that. It's been interesting because on the one hand, encouragement for him is super important...at the same time, my children question every privilege he has and have a hard time understanding that when he gets to do things they aren't allowed to (staying up later, walking without supervision from one place to another) it's not because I like him more but because he's OLDER. My daughter had a verrry difficult time with that last week.

The chore list will probably take place this weekend or next week...and I'm glad you brought up family meetings. That's something I've never formally done but I was just thinking, when I started thinking about chores, that in this situation it's probably a necessity. We do communicate every day, usually as we're in the car moving from one place to another, or walking (sigh) but there's a lot to be said about acknowledging exactly what it is we're doing, and actually having an agenda, and giving everybody an opportunity to have a formal part in it.

Thanks, Annie!

Your words were quite clear on the matter.

Of course my words are quite clear - anyone is welcome to go back and read them.

Logic :lol::lol:

You don't even know what the word is defined as BITCH...

Um, yes, yes I do.

:cuckoo::confused:

i was a tough mom....he did chores.....he made his own money....if he wanted 80 buck jeans....i would give him what i would spend on jeans....35 bucks and he had to make the rest....i love my son enough to make sure he has a reality base....simple as that...

still no grandkids.....he is 29...the meter has been ticking for years now

What is it with moms and grandchildren??

The second moms push us out the house they want new babies...

It's almost like trading in a used car for a new car :lol:

My mom is the same way.....

Sorry, I'm not going to make a baby just so my mother can play mom again (without the work)...

I would love a child - that's not the issue - the issue is that it has to be with the right person.

My mother hardly understands that...

o fucking get over yourself.....

what do you mean ..mom without the work....

do you realize the treasures that will be showered on the child? o that is it...isnt it....you still want them treasures...well guess what buddy....you are outta that nest and the only way back in ...is with a grand child.....

i have been bitchin for years now.....years....

Last edited:
i was a tough mom....he did chores.....he made his own money....if he wanted 80 buck jeans....i would give him what i would spend on jeans....35 bucks and he had to make the rest....i love my son enough to make sure he has a reality base....simple as that...

Sorry, I'm not going to make a baby just so my mother can play mom again (without the work)...

I would love a child - that's not the issue - the issue is that it has to be with the right person.

do you realize the treasures that will be showered on the child? o that is it...isnt it....you still want them treasures...well guess what buddy....you are outta that nest and the only way back in ...is with a grand child.....

I took care of my bothers and sisters BITCH..

I want nothing...

Fuck off little boy...

I made it a point to let him know, as soon as we decided to have him move here, and before he even got here, that I considered him a model for the youngsters. You're absolutely right about building him up, and I work reallly hard to do that. It's been interesting because on the one hand, encouragement for him is super important...at the same time, my children question every privilege he has and have a hard time understanding that when he gets to do things they aren't allowed to (staying up later, walking without supervision from one place to another) it's not because I like him more but because he's OLDER. My daughter had a verrry difficult time with that last week.

The chore list will probably take place this weekend or next week...and I'm glad you brought up family meetings. That's something I've never formally done but I was just thinking, when I started thinking about chores, that in this situation it's probably a necessity. We do communicate every day, usually as we're in the car moving from one place to another, or walking (sigh) but there's a lot to be said about acknowledging exactly what it is we're doing, and actually having an agenda, and giving everybody an opportunity to have a formal part in it.

Thanks, Annie!

I cut out my long, long post here. I'm glad this helped in some way. With the younger kids just let them know that the sooner they prove themselves capable, the more you will give them to do and the rewards that go with it. Remind all of them, that failure to do what they agree they are capable of, will result in some sort of loss of privileges. For instance, let's say the 13 year old swears or doesn't take out the garbage. 15 minutes earlier to 'lock down electronics' for 3 days, for each offense. (both swearing and garbage=30 minutes for 3 nights.)

I understand your finances, I was a single mother too. However, if you can give some sort of 'allowance' make it by age. I wouldn't tie it to chores, rather use the benefits of responsibility and loss there of to take care of that.) If you can give the older child 2x what the younger ones get, he'll have more 'free money' than them. It might only be $1 a week, but it's 'his' and the .50 is 'theirs.' Perhaps a nickle for them to save per week, while .25 for him.

You might want to wait for a windfall, where you can go open a passbook savings account and they can keep track of what they've saved and interest. Starting out at maybe $20 for the older and $10 for the youngers. ;)

I don't know the neighborhood, but the 13 year old might be able to pick up some extra money by doing chores for someone or yard work. Perhaps an elderly person that could really use his 'muscles' for trash on Thursday for $2. a month? Something where he has responsibility outside the home and payback. You don't know, but encouraging that type of thinking might help him realize that the old lady really needs the help, and he might refuse the money, but get the idea that there are folks that can pay.

It worked with one of my kids, the least likely I'd have thought. He was heading for serious problems, but several things coalesced to turn things around. My parents moved in with us, my mom needing 24 hour nursing. Sundays for 6 hours we were 'on our own.' I'd been out somewhere and came in to find this son, standing by the bathroom door with the wheelchair by him. My mom was talking and laughing on the pot. I was like, "Oh D___, where's Grandpa? I'm sorry! Let me..." He said, "Mom, stop, she's fine, I'm fine. You're going to upset everything."

Grandpa had run to the grocery. The kid was right, I was feeling so guilty for both my mom and him I was going to go nutso. I didn't and he got her cleaned up and back in bed. Oh, did I mention he had friends up in his room? Yes, they can rise above!

The same kid around the same time had experienced a severe knee injury. Going into high school, he had to choose between soccer, which he'd played and excelled at since 4 years old or X country. He chose X country because of the team and coach. Best decision ever.

He was always in gifted classes, we moved in Oct of his 5th grade. He went into regular classes and that was alright. Then in the middle school, again the district put him into regular classes. Truth is, I was working 80-90 hours a week and didn't have the time to argue. He seemed fine. In 8th grade though, math, problem in MARCH! The math teacher hated him, said he was disruptive. Kid said, "That's because you don't know when to say, ENOUGH! Get it or not, move on!" This in a meeting with all of his teachers, principal, social worker, school psychologist, (he was already seeing a social worker, after 6 years of psychiatrist).

The other teachers didn't have a problem with him. Seems the psychologist and social worker both picked up on his being very bored in math and having issues, (not verbalized in meeting), with the math teacher. I explained the issues of his being in gifted thru part of 5th grade, then the move. Then my part in not insisting on testing in this 'new' district. Lo and behold, the principal said to the kid, "How about you come to the office instead of math, I'll tutor you and you work. We'll see about moving you into honors math in freshman year? You'll have to do Geometry in summer school though." Kid took him up on it, and high school was a breeze regarding math, well actually everything. He stayed in honors math, then AP throughout high school.

Interesting tidbit, in his sophomore year, the math teacher was indicted for sexual harassment of females, which was what his 'issues' were with the teacher, those issues not verbalized. ;)

Go beg government bitch..........

Of course my words are quite clear - anyone is welcome to go back and read them.

Then why do you claim they were "misinterpreted"?

Did I say misrepresented??

No you being the fucking idiot you are you just made that up.

Now leave me alone or i will just put you on "mute."

Not "misrepresented," idiot, "misinterpreted." You can't even read the words you quote? wtf?

And you said it here:

Did you take a whole bottle of stupid pills today, or what?

Then why do you claim they were "misinterpreted"?

Not "misrepresented," idiot, "misinterpreted." You can't even read the words you quote? wtf?

And you said it here:

You're retarded..

Welfare is not enough eh?...

I want nothing...

Fuck off little boy...

You said:

Well, my parents always provided for me, so I wouldn't know what it would be like to be neglected..............

Then you try to put on the "Y-you don't know what it's like to grow up poor! (sob)" routine. You have indicated several times that you grew up with two parents who cared for you and now you are trying to go on as if YOU raised your siblings and thus have experience as a parent. Come on kid, at least try a little...

Thanks, Annie!

I cut out my long, long post here. I'm glad this helped in some way. With the younger kids just let them know that the sooner they prove themselves capable, the more you will give them to do and the rewards that go with it. Remind all of them, that failure to do what they agree they are capable of, will result in some sort of loss of privileges. For instance, let's say the 13 year old swears or doesn't take out the garbage. 15 minutes earlier to 'lock down electronics' for 3 days, for each offense. (both swearing and garbage=30 minutes for 3 nights.)

I understand your finances, I was a single mother too. However, if you can give some sort of 'allowance' make it by age. I wouldn't tie it to chores, rather use the benefits of responsibility and loss there of to take care of that.) If you can give the older child 2x what the younger ones get, he'll have more 'free money' than them. It might only be $1 a week, but it's 'his' and the .50 is 'theirs.' Perhaps a nickle for them to save per week, while .25 for him.

You might want to wait for a windfall, where you can go open a passbook savings account and they can keep track of what they've saved and interest. Starting out at maybe $20 for the older and $10 for the youngers. ;)

I don't know the neighborhood, but the 13 year old might be able to pick up some extra money by doing chores for someone or yard work. Perhaps an elderly person that could really use his 'muscles' for trash on Thursday for $2. a month? Something where he has responsibility outside the home and payback. You don't know, but encouraging that type of thinking might help him realize that the old lady really needs the help, and he might refuse the money, but get the idea that there are folks that can pay.

It worked with one of my kids, the least likely I'd have thought. He was heading for serious problems, but several things coalesced to turn things around. My parents moved in with us, my mom needing 24 hour nursing. Sundays for 6 hours we were 'on our own.' I'd been out somewhere and came in to find this son, standing by the bathroom door with the wheelchair by him. My mom was talking and laughing on the pot. I was like, "Oh D___, where's Grandpa? I'm sorry! Let me..." He said, "Mom, stop, she's fine, I'm fine. You're going to upset everything."

Grandpa had run to the grocery. The kid was right, I was feeling so guilty for both my mom and him I was going to go nutso. I didn't and he got her cleaned up and back in bed. Oh, did I mention he had friends up in his room? Yes, they can rise above!

The same kid around the same time had experienced a severe knee injury. Going into high school, he had to choose between soccer, which he'd played and excelled at since 4 years old or X country. He chose X country because of the team and coach. Best decision ever.

He was always in gifted classes, we moved in Oct of his 5th grade. He went into regular classes and that was alright. Then in the middle school, again the district put him into regular classes. Truth is, I was working 80-90 hours a week and didn't have the time to argue. He seemed fine. In 8th grade though, math, problem in MARCH! The math teacher hated him, said he was disruptive. Kid said, "That's because you don't know when to say, ENOUGH! Get it or not, move on!" This in a meeting with all of his teachers, principal, social worker, school psychologist, (he was already seeing a social worker, after 6 years of psychiatrist).

The other teachers didn't have a problem with him. Seems the psychologist and social worker both picked up on his being very bored in math and having issues, (not verbalized in meeting), with the math teacher. I explained the issues of his being in gifted thru part of 5th grade, then the move. Then my part in not insisting on testing in this 'new' district. Lo and behold, the principal said to the kid, "How about you come to the office instead of math, I'll tutor you and you work. We'll see about moving you into honors math in freshman year? You'll have to do Geometry in summer school though." Kid took him up on it, and high school was a breeze regarding math, well actually everything. He stayed in honors math, then AP throughout high school.

Interesting tidbit, in his sophomore year, the math teacher was indicted for sexual harassment of females, which was what his 'issues' were with the teacher, those issues not verbalized. ;)

I agree, they certainly do rise..and it builds character to care for other family members, particularly when you do suffer a certain degree of hardship because of it.

Too much hardship and a sense of defeatism on the part of the parent(s) can really beat a kid down, though...I make it a point to share information with my kids...they know we're poor, I mean you can't hide it, exactly. But even that opens a window for character. I don't waste time or energy bemoaning my fate or wishing we had more. I see our state as a challenge to meet, as a family, and I don't let my kids ever see me hopeless, afraid or overwhelmed. I mean, they see me overwhelmed, I can completely lose it and throw a big old fit sometimes when I'm at the end of my rope with THEM...but as far as behaving in a way that undermines their sense of security, it never happens in my household. I never cry "what are we going to DOOOOOO?" and put that burden on their shoulders, because it isn't their burden.

And you said it here:

You're retarded..

Just posting something nonsensical and inappropriate is not an argument or an explanation of your position, kid.

I want nothing...

Fuck off little boy...

You said:

Well, my parents always provided for me, so I wouldn't know what it would be like to be neglected..............

Then you try to put on the "Y-you don't know what it's like to grow up poor! (sob)" routine. You have indicated several times that you grew up with two parents who cared for you and now you are trying to go on as if YOU raised your siblings and thus have experience as a parent. Come on kid, at least try a little...

I was a big brother...

I did what big brothers do.

I came home from school and took care of my brothers and sisters...

My mom came home and I split until about 8-9 and i had my social life...

The Schedule was different every day...

And you said it here:

You're retarded..

Just posting something nonsensical and inappropriate is not an argument or an explanation of your position, kid.

What do you want from me?

I'm not a teacher.

You already know I'm right yet you expect me to prove you wrong...

I refuse to do that...

Forum List

Back