Parenting 101

I don't understand it either but people are just wired differently, my brother has 2 children and is a drug addict, career criminal and is always in and out of prison. Right now now he is in a rehab in Salt Lake City Utah that my dad is paying for, my dad also sends child support to his kids because my brother doesn't support them and really doesn't care, he was interested for a little bit when the first kid was born but quickly grew bored and went back to doing drugs and dealing them as well, one of the kids almost choked to death on a Vicodin he left out and had to go to the ER. He really doesn't care, and it's wierd because we had both parents and we were raised better than this. Sometimes people are just bad and its not the fault of the parents.

It's almost like some don't even have an emotional attachment to their own children.

As if they lack some sort of instinct...

My sister has kids, there is nothing in this world I wouldn't do for them...

I treat them as if they were my own...

At one point I was like your bro tho, however I cleaned my act up.... However I would never neglect my child - even if I did have a substance problem.

My brother is 27 years old, 3 years younger than me, he is never going to change or claim any responsibility for these kids, him and his girlfriend were both on drugs when she was pregnant with the second child so now it has all kinds of problems and seizures and is always in the hospital, and of course my scumbag brother doesnt care and doesn't even go down there. Its scary to think how these kids are going to turn out, some folks really don't have any business reproducing.

Totally understand bro....

I have a brother that is 3 years younger too, he's 28 tho.. He has no kids, but he is a total pothead and his girl lived in my house and before that in my parents house for the last 6 years and she was a stripper and a pothead/junky....

If they ever had a kid I would have recommended it to my parents that they take it away and have and they agreed.

Thankfully she moved out and away....

Yeah, I should have been more proactive around 21 instead of playing poky-poky or "big pimping."

Then again no nice chick would have touched me with a yard stick back then...

Funny how things workout..

I think you did the right thing though, when you are in your 20's it's the right time to try and enjoy as many women as possible when you are in your prime, plus if you did get married when you were younger chances are she would have changed up on you, women change alot from the age 20 to their mid 20's, even 30's sometimes. I got married when I was 19 and thought I was set for life, 5 years later we just became totally different people, I kind of regret getting married because I should have spent my early 20's partying and having fun with as many women as possible, I am 30 now and I should have waited until around this age for the marriage, kids etc. now I don't want to ever get married again, divorce is hell and living with someone you don't love or trust is pure misery, I don't want that ever again. I was in the Military when I was going through my divorce and I actually asked to deploy to Iraq to get away from her, and this was back in 2006 when people were getting killed in Iraq everyday!

I wanted to serve in the military in my early 20's...

They wouldn't let me because I had cases pending, then when they were over I tried again and they wouldn't give me the waiver needed...

I had my fun in my teens and twenties, now at 31 I want a family...

In my lifetime I have been with many woman just loved a few of them ironically the ones I did love/who loved me I only been with them a few times.....Of course I was horndogging it all over the place....

You are at the right age now if you still want to try marriage, plus you got your partying out of the way. When I was in the service I saw so many Airmen in their 20's get married and most of those marriages all went down in flames, because either one of them or both of them were not done partying and wanted to go out and have fun, and eventually people started cheating and everything went to hell. I have seen this story so many times it all sounds the same now.

It's almost like some don't even have an emotional attachment to their own children.

As if they lack some sort of instinct...

My sister has kids, there is nothing in this world I wouldn't do for them...

I treat them as if they were my own...

At one point I was like your bro tho, however I cleaned my act up.... However I would never neglect my child - even if I did have a substance problem.

My brother is 27 years old, 3 years younger than me, he is never going to change or claim any responsibility for these kids, him and his girlfriend were both on drugs when she was pregnant with the second child so now it has all kinds of problems and seizures and is always in the hospital, and of course my scumbag brother doesnt care and doesn't even go down there. Its scary to think how these kids are going to turn out, some folks really don't have any business reproducing.

I have a brother that is 3 years younger too, he's 28 tho.. He has no kids, but he is a total pothead and his girl lived in my house and before that in my parents house for the last 6 years and she was a stripper and a pothead/junky....

If they ever had a kid I would have recommended it to my parents that they take it away and have and they agreed.

It seems like there's a fuck up like that in every family, thats why I make sure to tell people its not always the parents fault, when people see fuck ups like my brother they automatically assume my parents did a shitty job raising us which is completely false, my dad is an electrical engineer and my mom was a stay at home mom so we got all the attention we needed in the home, they are not to blame for him being this way.

No, it's not always the parents' fault.

And people can only do their best, we're all hampered by our own foibles and inadequacies. I loved my older boys dearly but made some major mistakes with them. Now they're saddled with the backlash of those mistakes..their own personalities, that were molded by them, but the kids I'm raising now are benefiting from them (and never fear, it doesn't escape the notice of the older boys) because I won't make those mistakes again. I'm sure I'm making other mistakes though. To tell the truth, I'm sure it would have been better for the younger kids if I hadn't brought their brother here. But these are the trade offs we make. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. In this case, they get to know their older brother. So we have to walk sometimes and reaaallly stretch the menu (we're eating some interesting meals right now in this last week, I must say).

I think you did the right thing though, when you are in your 20's it's the right time to try and enjoy as many women as possible when you are in your prime, plus if you did get married when you were younger chances are she would have changed up on you, women change alot from the age 20 to their mid 20's, even 30's sometimes. I got married when I was 19 and thought I was set for life, 5 years later we just became totally different people, I kind of regret getting married because I should have spent my early 20's partying and having fun with as many women as possible, I am 30 now and I should have waited until around this age for the marriage, kids etc. now I don't want to ever get married again, divorce is hell and living with someone you don't love or trust is pure misery, I don't want that ever again. I was in the Military when I was going through my divorce and I actually asked to deploy to Iraq to get away from her, and this was back in 2006 when people were getting killed in Iraq everyday!

I wanted to serve in the military in my early 20's...

They wouldn't let me because I had cases pending, then when they were over I tried again and they wouldn't give me the waiver needed...

I had my fun in my teens and twenties, now at 31 I want a family...

In my lifetime I have been with many woman just loved a few of them ironically the ones I did love/who loved me I only been with them a few times.....Of course I was horndogging it all over the place....

You are at the right age now if you still want to try marriage, plus you got your partying out of the way. When I was in the service I saw so many Airmen in their 20's get married and most of those marriages all went down in flames, because either one of them or both of them were not done partying and wanted to go out and have fun, and eventually people started cheating and everything went to hell. I have seen this story so many times it all sounds the same now.

I still party - just not like that..

Believe it or not I hang with my parents....

Everyone wants to hang out with my parents (young people included).

They're very libertarian....

You have to be very careful who you have kids with these days, alot of women just want the baby for the child support that comes out of your check if you are gainfully employed.

That's why I don't have kids... Well that and it's difficult to find a woman that shares the same morals as I do.....

Oh come on, I'm sure you can find a woman with NO morals if you try.

I think he loves them in his way.

But he's poisonous, drunk, and dangerous. I think it's an indication that he loves them that he stays the hell away. He's doing us a favor, and it is because I dictated that was the way it was going to be, not because he flaked out. If I wanted him around I'd probably never get away from him.

Love is being a father to your children..

It's putting down the booze and being selfless and doing anything and everything possible for your child.

If I had a kid my life would be dedicated to the child - it wouldn't be about ME anymore it would be about the child.

I suppose some just aren't born with that sense of instinct....

Your dramatic declarations would carry more weight if they weren't theoretical for you.

It seems like there's a fuck up like that in every family, thats why I make sure to tell people its not always the parents fault, when people see fuck ups like my brother they automatically assume my parents did a shitty job raising us which is completely false, my dad is an electrical engineer and my mom was a stay at home mom so we got all the attention we needed in the home, they are not to blame for him being this way.

My brother is my brother..

My family is very loving, his bitch was just the problem...

My parents don't and didn't believe in being authoritarian, they're very libertarian and believed it wasn't their position to interfere with my brothers life.

He never did hard drugs tho.... Sure he was a pothead....

Cant say my parents really cared ... If you were 16+ you could basically do whatever you wanted. I suppose I paved the way for that. hehehe..

That lead to me getting a degree and my sister getting a degree... 2/4 isn't bad when the 21-year-old is half way finished with is associates... If he gets his it will be 3/4..

Last edited:

But he's poisonous, drunk, and dangerous. I think it's an indication that he loves them that he stays the hell away. He's doing us a favor, and it is because I dictated that was the way it was going to be, not because he flaked out. If I wanted him around I'd probably never get away from him.

It's putting down the booze and being selfless and doing anything and everything possible for your child.

If I had a kid my life would be dedicated to the child - it wouldn't be about ME anymore it would be about the child.

Your dramatic declarations would carry more weight if they weren't theoretical for you.

I don't know, there's a lot to be said for men who are fairly calculated about when and with whom they have children, and who make a decision that when they do finally do it, it will be a certain way.

Of course, life loves to take those sorts of plans and tweak them a little...but starting with a plan and commitment is a really good place to start.

You do realize I'm the oldest out of 4??

You do realize I have a niece and nephew I love dearly - as in more than myself???

I don't know, there's a lot to be said for men who are fairly calculated about when and with whom they have children, and who make a decision that when they do finally do it, it will be a certain way.

Of course, life loves to take those sorts of plans and tweak them a little...but starting with a plan and commitment is a really good place to start.

I was merely pointing out that trying to sound like an 'expert' on certain matters about which one has no experience is a little ridiculous. But that is this kid's M.O. on many subjects.

You do realize I have a niece and nephew I love dearly - as in more than myself???

Do you realize that all does NOT equate to the topic at hand? I notice you do this shit a lot. You don't seem to think that logic applies to you, and you have a desperate need to think of yourself as an expert on topics about which you have little or no real knowledge or experience. You should really do something about that.

Well if I "accidentally" had a child I would certainly be a father to the individual.

I suppose my goal in life is to marry a woman I can spend the rest of my life with - eternity to boot.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with that, and anyone that does has a serious morality issue...

Lets not forget it's my individual choice...

Do you realize that all does NOT equate to the topic at hand? I notice you do this shit a lot. You don't seem to think that logic applies to you, and you have a desperate need to think of yourself as an expert on topics about which you have little or no real knowledge or experience. You should really do something about that.

I do have knowledge on the topic .........

You apparently hate humans PERIOD...

Go embrace your own miserable life..........

I do have knowledge on the topic ...................

You have said yourself that you do NOT have experience in the topic at hand.

No, it's not always the parents' fault.

And people can only do their best, we're all hampered by our own foibles and inadequacies. I loved my older boys dearly but made some major mistakes with them. Now they're saddled with the backlash of those mistakes..their own personalities, that were molded by them, but the kids I'm raising now are benefiting from them (and never fear, it doesn't escape the notice of the older boys) because I won't make those mistakes again. I'm sure I'm making other mistakes though. To tell the truth, I'm sure it would have been better for the younger kids if I hadn't brought their brother here. But these are the trade offs we make. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. In this case, they get to know their older brother. So we have to walk sometimes and reaaallly stretch the menu (we're eating some interesting meals right now in this last week, I must say).

I was going to read through the thread, then respond to a couple of points. You've brought up one here though, that is important.

Bringing this older boy to your home, may be a good thing for both the younger ones and him. You seem to have the skills and experience to carry it off.

First thing, your op on 'chores', I think it was yours, is a step in the right direction. As both a parent of twenty something kids and more than a decade of teaching experience, kids need chores. In school one can spot the kids who do not contribute at home. They are disorganized, haven't a clue to how to work independently or in groups, and lack self-esteem. While I've only taught in middle and high schools, it's true in lower grades too.

Chores though need to be age appropriate, beginning around 2. It's not easy and the younger they are, the quicker you need to adapt their chores, getting a bit more detailed as they gain mastery. Toddlers can put their toys in a basket. As they get the hang of that, give them sets of baskets: big toys (stuffed animals, musical stuff, mostly 1 big piece stuff that's pretty indestructible), one for books, one for puzzles, and small ones for duplos, etc.

By later 3 or early 4, they can help with picking out clothes and laying them out for the next day. When feasible, they should be putting on their socks, underwear, pull up pants, some can even put on t-shirt or sweater if laid out correctly. They should know where dirty clothes go and put them there. They should put their shoes in closet or wherever you say they belong at the end of the day, (Your kid will not have 2 different shoes because he could only find one left one. They should be able to brush their teeth and have a place to put it away. They can tear lettuce for dinner and set the table. They can help pour liquids into a batter. With supervision they can even stir the batter.

By late 4 they should be dressing themselves in the morning, brushing their teeth, and be ready for the day before breakfast. They should know to wipe out the sink and dry off the counter. If they have an alarm clock that you set the time on and show them how to set the alarm, they can do that. If in preschool, they should know what they need in their book bag and have it ready to go by the door the night before. (Right there your child is light years ahead of the kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade peers).

By 5 most kids can handle a not too sharp knife or better yet, a vegetable cutter to help prepare salads. They can set the table after you show them, pour beverages, etc. They tend to eat what they help make and especially if they helped pick out the 'dinner food' at the grocery.

As kids get older, though many can make a bed by 5, add to what they can do. From dusting furniture, to vacuuming, to raking leaves, shoveling snow, taking out the trash. Expect them to mark a calendar of what their chores are, what activities they need to be at and when. They should check off when completed.

These types of routine segue easily into expectations in school by 3rd or 4th grade. Kids should be writing down their assignments, including anything they may need to make plans for, (i.e., buy posterboard, need new markers, get to library, ask mom for ride on Tuesday-project too big for bus, need $10 for field trip-in 2 weeks. How many kids ask for that the morning of? Parents don't have it, that's a crisis.)

All the activities tend to make homework a lower priority than it should be. Until middle school though, most activities tend not to immediately follow school, but start around 4-4:30. One of the best and hardest things I did when mine were small was to pick them up from school, tell them to change their clothes, gave them a snack and then homework. They really wanted to chill, truth was though they were still in school mode and wanted to either get out and play or get to soccer or whatever.

Now to my real point in this post. The age of the 'new son' is considerably older than the younger. He'll be capable of much more and that should be pointed out at a 'family meeting.' Think of it as one of those times, "Oh my! I never noticed how strong you've gotten, you are really becoming a young man!" Then to the little ones, "In a few years you too will be able to do what ____ is doing. He can be the one to help you carry in the groceries, while one of the younger ones carry in the gallon of milk or laundry detergent. The younger ones can grab the trash from the bedrooms, bathrooms, while he can bring the kitchen garbage to the cans and the cans to the curb.

Along with more responsibilities come privileges. I believe you mentioned pulling electronics by 11pm? In middle school that's late, really. Homework should be first done. If tv is on the menu, pick together-you having final say and limiting to an hour. Video games should be 1/2 hour or borrowed from whatever tv time you allow. Computer time should also be limited and always where you can see it. 5-7 year olds should be ready for bed and settled down by 8:30. 8-10 year olds by 9. 11-14 by 10.

High schoolers? Well that's tough, but parents should control electronics, including cell phones, ipads, etc., from 10-11 pm on. You can't make them go to sleep, but without ability to converse with peers, they will probably be out by 10:30. A word though, if your high schooler is into extra-curricular activities and hopefully they are; and taking honors/AP or having trouble in school, they may be doing homework until midnight or later some nights. They may need the computer and they need an adult presence as much as possible that late. (Again, the voice of experience. My youngest had the year from hell in his jr year. 4 AP courses, X-Country on an All-State team and he was All-State runner, track & field. Most nights he was up until 1:30 and left for training at 5:45 am, how he didn't come down with mono?) I probably stayed in kitchen 2 out of 5 nights, I had to leave for work myself at 6 am and I didn't do well with less than 6 hours of sleep.

Here's the thing with your 13 year old. Build him up in front of the younger boys. Make sure HE knows he's a model for them. He is the one they'll look to for eating, studying, friends, etc. Most kids, but especially boys, literally are thirsting for admiration: looks, smarts, strength, trustworthiness, kindness...

Most younger boys follow older ones, especially if their talents align. Might be sports, demeanor, manners, etc.

Good luck!

I was merely pointing out that trying to sound like an 'expert' on certain matters about which one has no experience is a little ridiculous. But that is this kid's M.O. on many subjects.

How the fuck do you know I'm not an expert?

Prove that shit bitch...

I do have knowledge on the topic ...................

You have said yourself that you do NOT have experience in the topic at hand.

I said myself I have NEVER experienced stealing cars or having no parents...

I do know what it's like to grow up poor BITCH...

You don't know what its like to grow up poor bitch...

Last edited:

How the fuck do you know I'm not an expert?

Prove that shit bitch...

You said yourself several times on this thread that you have no experience in the matter. And yet, you still feel qualified to pontificate over the "instincts" of others.

Forum List

Back