Parental Stupidity + Gun Cleaning = Dead Kid

Turboswede

Very Metal
Oct 16, 2008
The Emerald City (Seattle), USA
Marysville girl shot in head dies | Top Stories | KING5.com | News for Seattle, Washington

This is not a “Ban Guns” Post but a “Personal Responsibility” Post. As a dad I read this news story and became incredibly pissed off because I know how it’s going to go. The Dad and mom are going to feel horrible but as this was an “accident” no one will need to take responsibility and the father has been “punished enough” due to the loss of his daughter.

Look, I am not a gun guy but I am a car guy and there is no way I am going to let a 6 year old around me while I am pulling an engine or arc welding. In the event that I make the dumb ass call that my kid at 6 is old enough to help me with the cherry picker and she ends up getting crushed by a 350 small block, it’s MY fault pure and simple. I will have made a totally irresponsible parenting decision and I should be punished for it.

Family won’t be better off with the dad in Jail but he should lose parental rights of the 2 remaining kids as he has been shown to be an absolute failure at the main rule for parenting, getting your kids to 18 alive.

So then as soon as some welfare queen makes a mistake with one of her kids... or as soon as some whack job exposes one of their kids to unscrupulous characters that eventually leads to their harm... that parent should inherently lose their rights to their kids as well??

All of us, and I do mean ALL OF US, will make mistakes with our kids.. mistakes in judgment, mistakes in teaching, mistakes in supervision, etc... hopefully none of us make a mistake big enough to take that child's life... but unless that parent is completely negligent or purposely causes harm to the child, I don't think we make rushed judgments to take away that person's other children

and what about if your vice president and almost blow your buddys face off...but for the grace of god..should you still get to be vice president

Sure, it the idiot dosn't press charges. Besides, as an adult the guy kind of assumed some of the risk being around a maniac who likes killing disoriented birds with a shotgun.

The veep wasn't responsible for the guys saftey on a parental level.

So then as soon as some welfare queen makes a mistake with one of her kids... or as soon as some whack job exposes one of their kids to unscrupulous characters that eventually leads to their harm... that parent should inherently lose their rights to their kids as well??

that IS what happens. If you harm your child through negligence you lose custoday of your remaining children or you should, until such time as you can prove you are fit.

I've had a former neighbor that had his child killed when that kid ran into the road... they guy was not paying attention for a few minutes when he was talking to a neighbor... is that person to have his other kids taken away?

Accidents happen... and unfortunately, a very few will result in the most tragic thing possible... this guy meant no harm in an activity that has some 'danger' involved, but is getting wayyyyy more attention simply because it is a weapon... this is ridiculous

We can't take every other child away from parents who lose a child to a pure accident....

I've had a former neighbor that had his child killed when that kid ran into the road... they guy was not paying attention for a few minutes when he was talking to a neighbor... is that person to have his other kids taken away?

Accidents happen... and unfortunately, a very few will result in the most tragic thing possible... this guy meant no harm in an activity that has some 'danger' involved, but is getting wayyyyy more attention simply because it is a weapon... this is ridiculous

We can't take every other child away from parents who lose a child to a pure accident....

you are comparing apples to oranges DD and you know it. A child darting into the road and being hit by a car is not even in the same sphere as cleaning a LOADED GUN around a 6 year old child and accidently shooting that child in the head. nor is it the same as leaving the child unattended and/or placing them into contact with individuals who would harm them.

What the hell kind of IDIOT 1) cleans his guns with his child in the room and 2) doesn't make sure there isn't a bullet in the chamber? I'm no gun owner and even I know that much about gun safety for fuck sake :cuckoo:

seems to me that the NRA's refuse to acknowledge that guns are dangerous in the hands of idiots and in the presence of children.

What about proving you are unfit in the first place... a mistake does not inherently make someone an unfit parent

any parent who would clean a loaded weapon with his 6 year old child in the room IS unfit AND stupid as fuck.

any parent who would clean a loaded weapon with his 6 year old child in the room IS unfit AND stupid as fuck.

I'm so baffled that you would need to actually explain this to people. First of all, why would anyone clean a loaded gun? Second of all, why would you clean a loaded gun AROUND YOUR 6-YEAR OLD CHILD???

Sorry, that kind of mental capacity to do something that stupid deserves punishment.

They guy could not have made a simple mistake and had a round chambered? Yeah... he is inherently unfit? :rolleyes:

Give me a break...

I am not saying that this guy did nor did not have a pattern (we don't have that info)... I am simply saying that from the info seen, this was a tragic mistake... and not inherently a pattern showing he is unfit to be a father to his remaining kids

Sounds like conservatives are all for personal responsibility, as long as firearms aren’t involved. From the story the guy was having his kid help clean the guns, that’s different from a kid running into the street and getting hit by a car.

If I am pulling a motor or dropping a transmission, my kids are not allowed in the garage because I see their safety as my primary responsibility on this planet. When I feel my daughter is old enough to help replace an axel then I need to step up and take responsibility if something happens to her.

If that welfare queen burns (non fatally) her 6 year old with a crack pipe, you better believe they are going to pull the kids out of her home because she has shown extremely poor judgment as a parent.

there's not enough information here to make ANY kind of judgement on this guy's fitness as a parent. it doesn't say the kid was even in the same room as him, nor what kind of weapon was being cleaned. you do know that a bullet will go through a wall, yes? why the rush to judgment?

i have friends who've lost children through accidents that were no fault of theirs (swimming pool, bike accident, car accident) and they look like they're just waiting for their bodies to die because they're already dead inside.

so, yeah, unless this guy was incredibly negligent, i'd say he's being punished enough.

Parents and family members back cars over their kids every single year in the US. Should those folks go to prison or be denied access to their kids because of it?

Parents who enjoy horseback riding have children killed in horse-related accidents every year. Should those parents be denied access to their kids because of it?

What about the parents who are enjoying a summer holiday with their children and one of the kids gets caught underwater and drowns before anyone can free them or even realizes they are missing?

Accidents happen. Growing up is risky at best. I guarantee you, if the parent cleaning the gun was a felon who wasn't supposed to have firearms, or if he was under the influence, he will be facing charges. Otherwise, if it was just a tragic accident, there is no reason to further penalize him.

BTW, these are all real-life scenarios I'm giving you, where in my area these things have happened. They aren't just theoreticals. And I could trot out a lot more. The little boy who was playing with bb guns with his brother...and in a freak occurrence a bb ruptured his juglar, killing him. Anyone who has ever had bb guns knows this is a ridiculously bizarre thing to have happen. He didn't even know what had happened..the hole was tiny, and the rupture bled in, not out. So he said "ow" one minute and was dead within 20.

They guy could not have made a simple mistake and had a round chambered? Yeah... he is inherently unfit? :rolleyes:

Give me a break...

I am not saying that this guy did nor did not have a pattern (we don't have that info)... I am simply saying that from the info seen, this was a tragic mistake... and not inherently a pattern showing he is unfit to be a father to his remaining kids

simple mistake? are you shitting me? a simple mistake does NOT result in the death of your child from a bullet wound to the head DD. you're making excuses for the inexcusable.

This is why GUN CONTROL laws are important. basic gun safety instruction was obviously needed for this idiot if he didn't KNOW you should always check and empty the chamber before you begin cleaning your weapon.

The long and short of this story is this IDIOT was cleaning a gun with a bullet IN THE CHAMBER! that is negligent and stupid for ANY gun owner.

Tragic accident? yes, I don't think he meant to shoot his little girls' brains out BUT the FACT remains it's NOT the same as accidently backing over a child with your car who may have run behind there without your knowledge....it's certainly not the same as two brothers playing with a bb gun (which btw, I've been shot with a bb gun and they are very dangerous and children should not be allowed to play with them) and an accident happening.

We are talking about a supposedly RESPONSIBLE adult, who should've known better, cleaning a dangerous weapon, whether the child was in the room or out of the room, with a BULLET remaining in the gun. It's called culpable negligence/involuntary manslaughter. Didn't mean for it to happen but through his own lack of care someone died.

I've never understood how anyone can be shot while cleaning a gun. I guess some idiots forget to remove the bullets, but most of the time I think it's intentional.

simple mistake? are you shitting me? a simple mistake does NOT result in the death of your child from a bullet wound to the head DD. you're making excuses for the inexcusable.

This is why GUN CONTROL laws are important. basic gun safety instruction was obviously needed for this idiot if he didn't KNOW you should always check and empty the chamber before you begin cleaning your weapon.

Yes.. .it can be a simple and tragic mistake at the same time... even with a careful weapon owner and a careful and loving and good parent

Even the best of us can be prone to a one-off mistake...

As stated.. there is not enough detail to this situation... but that does not stop the uber-lefties from jumping all over this because of the situation involving a weapon...

Forum List

Back