Parent/teacher Night

Did they schedule it at 5:01 so nobody who works a regular job can get to it?

They like to do that around here.

Did they schedule it at 5:01 so nobody who works a regular job can get to it?

They like to do that around here.

Lots of people don't even work "regular" hours, and many work multiple jobs (just like their children's teachers and often the students as well).

Unkatore...you are such a stern person. I hope you project a happier persona in the classroom than you do here.

"I said I BEFORE E!" :lol:

Unkatore...you are such a stern person. I hope you project a happier persona in the classroom than you do here.

Kids respond to the expectations of discipline. They crave it.

I certainly get the impression that you deliver it. I agree that discipline is very important for youth. Do you think that there is a general lack thereof in classrooms?

I certainly get the impression that you deliver it. I agree that discipline is very important for youth. Do you think that there is a general lack thereof in classrooms?

Depends on the school. Varies widely.

Do parents have other means of direct communication with their kids' teachers?

Of course. They all have the school email addresses of their children's teachers. They can view the student's grades on a daily basis online, they can contact teachers or guidance by phone, and the parents of some students with particular issues have my private phone/email address as well. Parents who want to meet before or after school any day need only contact me or arrange it through the student.

But not arrogant, judgmental teachers who respond to questions with belittling. If you actually are a teacher and not a janitor, you must thank your lucky stars for tenure every day.

But not arrogant, judgmental teachers who respond to questions with belittling. ....

Attitudes like that are part of what leads to the low-expectations that are an insidious danger to kids facing so many other challenges.

But not arrogant, judgmental teachers who respond to questions with belittling. ....

Attitudes like that are part of what leads to the low-expectations that are an insidious danger to kids facing so many other challenges.
It doesn't have to be. Being met with criticism every time you open your mouth doesn't lead to students anxious to ask questions, either.

It doesn't have to be. Being met with criticism every time you open your mouth doesn't lead to students anxious to ask questions, either.

The Stuart Smalley approach doesn't mean much to kids who have seen and survived more hairy shit in their 14-15 years than you will ever imagine. Save that shit for Sally Suburbia, who has her therapist on speed-dial in case she doesn't get picked first for Croquet.

Forum List

Back