Paraphrase: Christians and Messianics Who Celebrate Passover Piss off Jews

btw, there is no such thing as a 'christian seder'. seder's had nothing to do with jesus except to the extent that his 'last supper' was one. and he attended it as would any other jew.
----------------------------

You would be wrong. Every Catholic Mass is the commemoration of a seder. Communion, as remembrance of the Last Supper, is also a remembrance of the Passover.

What is passover?

Weird.

The good friday supper that is celebrated in the eucharist was a passover seder, IIRC.

I think it might actually be a good idea. Passover is a very basic part of Jewish practice, and I do think lots of christians would be well off to learn some of its lessons.

Process of the celebration is questions and answers. Why do we do this, why do we eat this crappy food once a year? We need to remember that we were slaves, and we were liberated from slavery, and we need to remember where we came from, and what our goals are.

The Roman Catholic Mass is a reenactment of Jesus Christ's Last Supper. We (in reality) have a Seder each and every Mass.

Are Jews going to start protesting at our doors? :eusa_think:
You can do whatever you want.

However, a passover seder is a jewish ceremony. I don't appreciate the distortion and mockery of our traditions.

Also, if you are saying that the seder represents anything to do with jesus, you are not reenacting it.

I tell you what, if our Mass offends you so much, why don't you attend one first before you make such ridiculous statements. You would be welcomed with open arms at any Catholic Church, and you would see that our Mass does not in ANY way "mock" Judaism or your traditions.

It is a beautiful and solemn occasion, complete with traditions that date back to Christ's Last Supper. Mass is a very reverential occasion--and having attended a "Jewish" Seder, with a Jewish family on several occasions, I know that our Mass in NO WAY mocks anyone or anything, at any time..

Come, join us this Sunday and see for yourself.

The matzah has nothing to do with jesus. G-D spelled out the reason for the unleavened bread pretty clearly in Exodus 12

Exodus - Chapter 12 (Parshah Bo) - Exodus - Torah - Bible

14. And this day shall be for you as a memorial, and you shall celebrate it as a festival for the Lord; throughout your generations, you shall celebrate it as an everlasting statute. יד. וְהָיָה הַיּוֹם הַזֶּה לָכֶם לְזִכָּרוֹן וְחַגֹּתֶם אֹתוֹ חַג לַי־הֹוָ־ה לְדֹרֹתֵיכֶם חֻקַּת עוֹלָם תְּחָגֻּהוּ:

15. For seven days you shall eat unleavened cakes, but on the preceding day you shall clear away all leaven from your houses, for whoever eats leaven from the first day until the seventh day that soul shall be cut off from Israel. טו. שִׁבְעַת יָמִים מַצּוֹת תֹּאכֵלוּ אַךְ בַּיּוֹם הָרִאשׁוֹן תַּשְׁבִּיתוּ שְּׂאֹר מִבָּתֵּיכֶם כִּי כָּל אֹכֵל חָמֵץ וְנִכְרְתָה הַנֶּפֶשׁ הַהִוא מִיִּשְׂרָאֵל מִיּוֹם הָרִאשֹׁן עַד יוֹם הַשְּׁבִעִי:

16. And on the first day there shall be a holy convocation, and on the seventh day you shall have a holy convocation; no work may be performed on them, but what is eaten by any soul that alone may be performed for you. טז. וּבַיּוֹם הָרִאשׁוֹן מִקְרָא קֹדֶשׁ וּבַיּוֹם הַשְּׁבִיעִי מִקְרָא קֹדֶשׁ יִהְיֶה לָכֶם כָּל מְלָאכָה לֹא יֵעָשֶׂה בָהֶם אַךְ אֲשֶׁר יֵאָכֵל לְכָל נֶפֶשׁ הוּא לְבַדּוֹ יֵעָשֶׂה לָכֶם:

17. And you shall watch over the unleavened cakes, for on this very day I have taken your legions out of the land of Egypt, and you shall observe this day throughout your generations, [as] an everlasting statute. יז. וּשְׁמַרְתֶּם אֶת הַמַּצּוֹת כִּי בְּעֶצֶם הַיּוֹם הַזֶּה הוֹצֵאתִי אֶת צִבְאוֹתֵיכֶם מֵאֶרֶץ מִצְרָיִם וּשְׁמַרְתֶּם אֶת הַיּוֹם הַזֶּה לְדֹרֹתֵיכֶם חֻקַּת עוֹלָם:

18. In the first [month], on the fourteenth day of the month in the evening, you shall eat unleavened cakes, until the twenty first day of the month in the evening. יח. בָּרִאשֹׁן בְּאַרְבָּעָה עָשָׂר יוֹם לַחֹדֶשׁ בָּעֶרֶב תֹּאכְלוּ מַצֹּת עַד יוֹם הָאֶחָד וְעֶשְׂרִים לַחֹדֶשׁ בָּעָרֶב:

19. For seven days, leavening shall not be found in your houses, for whoever eats leavening that soul shall be cut off from the community of Israel, both among the strangers and the native born of the land. יט. שִׁבְעַת יָמִים שְׂאֹר לֹא יִמָּצֵא בְּבָתֵּיכֶם כִּי כָּל אֹכֵל מַחְמֶצֶת וְנִכְרְתָה הַנֶּפֶשׁ הַהִוא מֵעֲדַת יִשְׂרָאֵל בַּגֵּר וּבְאֶזְרַח הָאָרֶץ:

20. You shall not eat any leavening; throughout all your dwellings you shall eat unleavened cakes."

Go to Mass. We have unleavened bread (Communion Wafer) at our Last Supper....through His miracle, it becomes the body of Christ during the Mass.

Same with the wine...it becomes the blood of Christ.

Go to Mass before you condemn us....we are descended of your faith. We are your brethren, whether you believe this to be true or not. Judge not, least you be judged.

Sit not in judgement of us for our beliefs.....only G-D may make those calls. Not you. Not me.

:eusa_doh:

The Roman Catholic Mass is a reenactment of Jesus Christ's Last Supper. We (in reality) have a Seder each and every Mass.

Are Jews going to start protesting at our doors? :eusa_think:

However, a passover seder is a jewish ceremony. I don't appreciate the distortion and mockery of our traditions.

Also, if you are saying that the seder represents anything to do with jesus, you are not reenacting it.

I tell you what, if our Mass offends you so much, why don't you attend one first before you make such ridiculous statements. You would be welcomed with open arms at any Catholic Church, and you would see that our Mass does not in ANY way "mock" Judaism or your traditions.

It is a beautiful and solemn occasion, complete with traditions that date back to Christ's Last Supper. Mass is a very reverential occasion--and having attended a "Jewish" Seder, with a Jewish family on several occasions, I know that our Mass in NO WAY mocks anyone or anything, at any time..

That would be prohibited according to my religion.

I am just going by this thread, where the matzah is supposedly supposed to represent jesus. Obviousy, it's not, G-D said exactly why jews are supposed to eat unleavened bread.

The matzah has nothing to do with jesus. G-D spelled out the reason for the unleavened bread pretty clearly in Exodus 12

Exodus - Chapter 12 (Parshah Bo) - Exodus - Torah - Bible

14. And this day shall be for you as a memorial, and you shall celebrate it as a festival for the Lord; throughout your generations, you shall celebrate it as an everlasting statute. יד. וְהָיָה הַיּוֹם הַזֶּה לָכֶם לְזִכָּרוֹן וְחַגֹּתֶם אֹתוֹ חַג לַי־הֹוָ־ה לְדֹרֹתֵיכֶם חֻקַּת עוֹלָם תְּחָגֻּהוּ:

15. For seven days you shall eat unleavened cakes, but on the preceding day you shall clear away all leaven from your houses, for whoever eats leaven from the first day until the seventh day that soul shall be cut off from Israel. טו. שִׁבְעַת יָמִים מַצּוֹת תֹּאכֵלוּ אַךְ בַּיּוֹם הָרִאשׁוֹן תַּשְׁבִּיתוּ שְּׂאֹר מִבָּתֵּיכֶם כִּי כָּל אֹכֵל חָמֵץ וְנִכְרְתָה הַנֶּפֶשׁ הַהִוא מִיִּשְׂרָאֵל מִיּוֹם הָרִאשֹׁן עַד יוֹם הַשְּׁבִעִי:

16. And on the first day there shall be a holy convocation, and on the seventh day you shall have a holy convocation; no work may be performed on them, but what is eaten by any soul that alone may be performed for you. טז. וּבַיּוֹם הָרִאשׁוֹן מִקְרָא קֹדֶשׁ וּבַיּוֹם הַשְּׁבִיעִי מִקְרָא קֹדֶשׁ יִהְיֶה לָכֶם כָּל מְלָאכָה לֹא יֵעָשֶׂה בָהֶם אַךְ אֲשֶׁר יֵאָכֵל לְכָל נֶפֶשׁ הוּא לְבַדּוֹ יֵעָשֶׂה לָכֶם:

17. And you shall watch over the unleavened cakes, for on this very day I have taken your legions out of the land of Egypt, and you shall observe this day throughout your generations, [as] an everlasting statute. יז. וּשְׁמַרְתֶּם אֶת הַמַּצּוֹת כִּי בְּעֶצֶם הַיּוֹם הַזֶּה הוֹצֵאתִי אֶת צִבְאוֹתֵיכֶם מֵאֶרֶץ מִצְרָיִם וּשְׁמַרְתֶּם אֶת הַיּוֹם הַזֶּה לְדֹרֹתֵיכֶם חֻקַּת עוֹלָם:

18. In the first [month], on the fourteenth day of the month in the evening, you shall eat unleavened cakes, until the twenty first day of the month in the evening. יח. בָּרִאשֹׁן בְּאַרְבָּעָה עָשָׂר יוֹם לַחֹדֶשׁ בָּעֶרֶב תֹּאכְלוּ מַצֹּת עַד יוֹם הָאֶחָד וְעֶשְׂרִים לַחֹדֶשׁ בָּעָרֶב:

19. For seven days, leavening shall not be found in your houses, for whoever eats leavening that soul shall be cut off from the community of Israel, both among the strangers and the native born of the land. יט. שִׁבְעַת יָמִים שְׂאֹר לֹא יִמָּצֵא בְּבָתֵּיכֶם כִּי כָּל אֹכֵל מַחְמֶצֶת וְנִכְרְתָה הַנֶּפֶשׁ הַהִוא מֵעֲדַת יִשְׂרָאֵל בַּגֵּר וּבְאֶזְרַח הָאָרֶץ:

20. You shall not eat any leavening; throughout all your dwellings you shall eat unleavened cakes."

Go to Mass. We have unleavened bread (Communion Wafer) at our Last Supper....through His miracle, it becomes the body of Christ during the Mass.

Go to Mass before you condemn us....we are descended of your faith. We are your brethren, whether you believe this to be true or not. Judge not, least you be judged.

Sit not in judgement of us for our beliefs.....only G-D may make those calls. Not you. Not me.

:eusa_doh:

That is contradictory to what G-D said in the Torah.

Devarim - Deuteronomy - Chapter 13

Chapter 13
1. Everything I command you that you shall be careful to do it. You shall neither add to it, nor subtract from it.

Look it's really simple, either you believe in the Torah or the NT, you can't believe in both. They are mutually exclusive.

That would be prohibited according to my religion.

I am just going by this thread, where the matzah is supposedly supposed to represent jesus. Obviousy, it's not, G-D said exactly why jews are supposed to eat unleavened bread.

That is too bad. I minored in Religious Studies in school.

One of the requirements of one of my classes was that we attend at least two services of a faith other than our own. I picked Judaism and learned quite a bit from the assignment.

I believe we get along so much better when we understand each other more.

Immie

FYI, the Catholic Mass is nothing like the Seder.

It is theologically linked to Jesus' practicing the Seder as described in the Gospels, but things have dramatically changed over the past 2000 years, particularly thanks to the Diaspora.

I have met a "Jew for Jesus" who claimed to be descendant from a lost African tribe of Israel. Fascinating merging of religions.

BlackJesusMontage%28c%29BarzoniARTCOM10055775.jpg

One of the requirements of one of my classes was that we attend at least two services of a faith other than our own. I picked Judaism and learned quite a bit from the assignment.

Immie

i don't know that he was referring to going to the service, i believe he was talking about participating, though i could be wrong. i, for one, have been to episcopal and catholic and greek orthodox services for various occasions. i found each experience interesting.

but.. we cannot kneel and could never participate in taking communion.

and any suggestion that eating matzoh is somehow akin to communion is inappropriate.

FYI, the Catholic Mass is nothing like the Seder.

It is theologically linked to Jesus' practicing the Seder as described in the Gospels, but things have dramatically changed over the past 2000 years, particularly thanks to the Diaspora.

I have met a "Jew for Jesus" who claimed to be descendant from a lost African tribe of Israel. Fascinating merging of religions.

i'm not sure what you mean about changes based on the diaspora. could you explain?

fwiw, and no offense to anyone, but we don't believe in such a thing as a 'jew for jesus'. jews for jesus are christians. (which is fine, but they aren't jews).

That is exactly right.

Jews can only be for the one G-D that we believe in. We are not allowed to worship any other person or being in any way.

Hear O Israel, the L-rd is our G-D, the L-ord is ONE (Deut)
I am the Lord, and there is no other; apart from Me there is no God. ...so that from the rising of the Sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides Me. I am the Lord, and there is no other. (Isaiah, 45:5-6)

...I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me. (Isaiah, 46:9)

... so that all the peoples of the Earth may know that the Lord is God and that there is no other. (1 Kings, 8:60)

Turn to Me and be saved, all you ends of the Earth; for I am God, and there is no other. (Isaiah, 45:22)

This is what the Lord says…"Surely God is with you, and there is no other; there is no other God." (Isaiah, 45:14)

...The Lord our God, the Lord is one. (Deuteronomy, 6:4)

... O Lord; no deeds can compare with Yours. All the nations You have made will come and worship before You, O Lord; they will bring glory to Your name. For You are great and do marvelous deeds; You alone are God. (Psalms, 86:8-10)

O Lord ...You alone are God over all the kingdoms of the Earth. You have made heaven and Earth. (Isaiah, 37:16)

... all kingdoms on Earth may know that You alone, O Lord, are God. (Isaiah, 37:20)

This is what the Lord says—your Redeemer, Who formed you in the womb: I am the Lord, Who has made all things, Who alone stretched out the heavens, Who spread out the Earth by Myself. (Isaiah, 44:24)

Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides You, who acts on behalf of those who wait for Him. (Isaiah, 64:4)

For this is what the Lord says—He Who created the heavens, He is God; He Who fashioned and made the Earth, He founded it; He did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited—He says: "I am the Lord, and there is no other." (Isaiah, 45:18)

...Was it not I, the Lord? And there is no god apart from Me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none but Me. (Isaiah, 45:21)

See now that I Myself am He! There is no god besides Me. I put to death and I bring to life, I have wounded and I will heal... (Deuteronomy, 32:39)

...you may know there is no one like the Lord our God. (Exodus, 8:10)

O Lord... there is no god like You in heaven above or on Earth below... (1 Kings, 8:23; 2 Chronicles, 6:14)

Then Asa called to the Lord his God and said, "Lord, there is no one like You to help the powerless against the mighty..."(2 Chronicles, 14:11)

I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from Me there is no savior. (Isaiah, 43:11)

There is no one like You, O Lord, and there is no god but You, as we have heard with our own ears. (1 Chronicles, 17:20; 2 Samuel, 7:22)

There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides You; there is no strength like our God. (1 Samuel, 2:2)

His wisdom is profound, His power is vast. Who has resisted Him and come out unscathed. (Job, 9:4)

For You are great and do marvelous deeds; You alone are God. (Psalms, 86:10)

Praise Him for His acts of power; praise Him for His surpassing greatness. (Psalms, 150:2)

You alone are the Lord. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the Earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You give life to everything, and the multitudes of heaven worship You. (Nehemiah, 9:6)

They will say of Me, "In the Lord alone are righteousness and strength."... (Isaiah, 45:24)

You were shown these things so that you might know that the Lord is God; besides Him there is no other. (Deuteronomy, 4:35)

... Is there any god besides Me? No, there is no other strong one; I know not one. (Isaiah, 44:8)

This is what the Lord says—I am the first and I am the last; apart from Me there is no god. (Isaiah, 44:6)

Who has done this and carried it through, calling forth the generations from the beginning? I, the Lord—with the first of them and with the last—I am He." (Isaiah, 41:4)

O Lord, are You not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One… (Habakkuk 1:12)

I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere Him. (Ecclesiastes, 3:14)

Before the mountains were born or You brought forth the Earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting You are God. (Psalms, 90:2)

Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever…(Psalms, 45:6)

For this is what the high and lofty One says—He Who lives forever, Whose name is holy...(Isaiah, 57:15)

and said: "Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are His." (Daniel, 2:20)

He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. (Ecclesiastes, 3:11)

…For He is the living God and He endures forever… His dominion will never end. (Daniel, 6:26)

Praise be to the Lord … from everlasting to everlasting… (1 Chronicles, 16:36)

But You, O Lord, are exalted forever. (Psalms, 92:8)

The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever. (Isaiah, 40:8)

Immie

i don't know that he was referring to going to the service, i believe he was talking about participating, though i could be wrong. i, for one, have been to episcopal and catholic and greek orthodox services for various occasions. i found each experience interesting.

and any suggestion that eating matzoh is somehow akin to communion is inappropriate.

Ah!

Maybe I misunderstood him.

When put in your words, it does make more sense. I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran. We practice closed communion so we do not take communion when we attend the services of other denominations and request that visitors not take communion when they visit us either unless they profess our beliefs which are written on cards in the pews. So your not kneeling and not taking communion makes sense.

As for the suggestion that eating matzoh is akin to communion being inappropriate, I have never thought of it in that light. I believe Jesus took bread, gave thanks, broke it and said "this is my body given for you". He did this during the Passover meal. Therefore, it would have been unleavened bread which is why we Christians use unleavened bread/wafers in our communion. I would state it the other way around than you put it. We use unleavened bread because of the Passover tradition.

In our way, we are carrying on that part of the Passover Tradition and unfortunately for us, we have lost much of the significance of Passover and the traditions that have flowed through your faith even to today.

Immie

i'm not sure what you mean about changes based on the diaspora. could you explain?
Certainly! I will make a new thread.

fwiw, and no offense to anyone, but we don't believe in such a thing as a 'jew for jesus'. jews for jesus are christians. (which is fine, but they aren't jews).
I found the claim laughable, but I wasn't about to insult them.

Ah!

When put in your words, it does make more sense. I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran. We practice closed communion so we do not take communion when we attend the services of other denominations and request that visitors not take communion when they visit us either unless they profess our beliefs which are written on cards in the pews. So your not kneeling and not taking communion makes sense.

As for the suggestion that eating matzoh is akin to communion being inappropriate, I have never thought of it in that light. I believe Jesus took bread, gave thanks, broke it and said "this is my body given for you". He did this during the Passover meal. Therefore, it would have been unleavened bread which is why we Christians use unleavened bread/wafers in our communion. I would state it the other way around than you put it. We use unleavened bread because of the Passover tradition.

In our way, we are carrying on that part of the Passover Tradition and unfortunately for us, we have lost much of the significance of Passover and the traditions that have flowed through your faith even to today.

Immie

Fair enough and I appreciate your response. I certainly understand the reason that you use unleavened bread for communion in the context of what you believe jesus' comments were at that last seder. my own particular comment was that if one is going to have a seder, there is a particular order to it, none of which has anything to do with jesus. In fact, seder means 'order' since that is what is required in the re-telling of the story of the exodus from egypt.

so in the performing a seder, which has a specific purpose, it would not, in my view, be appropriate to reference jesus.

Ah!

Immie

Fair enough and I appreciate your response. I certainly understand the reason that you use unleavened bread for communion in the context of what you believe jesus' comments were at that last seder. my own particular comment was that if one is going to have a seder, there is a particular order to it, none of which has anything to do with jesus. In fact, seder means 'order' since that is what is required in the re-telling of the story of the exodus from egypt.

so in the performing a seder, which has a specific purpose, it would not, in my view, be appropriate to reference jesus.

For the record, I have never been to a "Christian Seder" and don't know what transpires during one. Having been to a Jewish Seder a long time ago, I would say that if the Christian Seder were to follow the order of the Jewish one but referred to Christian beliefs of the initial Passover and how it relates to our lives today, I would be at a loss as to the issue at hand.

Immie

...through His miracle, it becomes the body of Christ during the Mass.

:cuckoo:

Just as I see your belief you receive 72 Virgin(ians) upon arrival in "paradise" after you kill innocent men, women and children makes you insane, as well as your worship of a pedophillic, syphillis infected, mentally ill cretin called Mohammad. Crazy. :cuckoo:

Immie

Ah!

The Roman Catholic Church also practices closed communion. It is offered only to those who have been baptised Roman Catholic and who have been through religious training so as to understand the nature of the sacrament they are receiving.

Visitors are welcome in the Catholic Church, of course, but we do not expect to find non-Catholics online to receive the Communion host.

Exactly.

Immie

Exactly. Excellent post. Thank you for sharing with us, though you be Protestant. *hug* :D

Forum List

Back