Parallels

sirius black

Sirius Black
Jul 22, 2010
Sunshine State
He came from Illinois to run for President, but had little experience that would prepare him for that office. His educational background was questioned. Early in his career he had made statements critical of traditional Christianity and was viewed by many as being anti Christian. His base political support came from people who were radically liberal. Rumors about he and his wife filled the tabloids. Many people feared his election would destroy this country.

Once elected he appointed corrupt or inept people to high positions in his administration. He suspended laws that protected individual rights, and tried to limit free speech. . He criticized free enterprise declaring that, " capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert, to fleece the people." He revamped the banking system, and called for printing more paper money than all of his predecessors combined. He instituted large tax increases while the national debt increased 15 fold during his first term. People questioned his ability to make military decisions; he was mistrusted
and even opposed by some of the country's top military leaders. His popularity dropped rapidly as citizens questioned his ability to lead and his political opponents opposed his every move. Under his presidency this nation's stature diminished on the world stage, and his election led to open rebellion.

In spite of all of these difficulties he served well as President the United States of America until he was assassinated on April 14, 1865.

Well isn't that cute.

Of course, Lincoln has gone down as one of the best--if not *the* best--President of this country. I guess a pseudo-dictator is good for the national soul every once and awhile, once people forget about those trivial things like suspending habeas corpus and shutting down any criticism from press.

The historical record is all about the results. :cool:

Well isn't that cute.

Of course, Lincoln has gone down as one of the best--if not *the* best--President of this country. I guess a pseudo-dictator is good for the national soul every once and awhile, once people forget about those trivial things like suspending habeas corpus and shutting down any criticism from press.

Don't forget issuing an arrest warrant for the Chief Justice and deporting a duly elected Congressman for speaking out against him.

Well isn't that cute.

Don't forget issuing an arrest warrant for the Chief Justice and deporting a duly elected Congressman for speaking out against him.

For right or wrong, I think all those violations--to put it nicely--are marginalized because he's known as the President who freed the slaves. Not like Congress and 3/4 of the states had anything to do with it. :doubt:

Well isn't that cute.

For right or wrong, I think all those violations--to put it nicely--are marginalized because he's known as the President who freed the slaves. Not like Congress and 3/4 of the states had anything to do with it. :doubt:

Those violations are never spoken of, unless to call Lincoln a "benevolent dictator" and praise him for his ability to "do what had to be done" to "save" the Union.

Those violations are never spoken of, unless to call Lincoln a "benevolent dictator" and praise him for his ability to "do what had to be done" to "save" the Union.

and save the Union he did. :clap2:

Which must justify everything he did wrong.

Funny how you feel different about modern Republican attempts to do the same thing.

Which must justify everything he did wrong.

Funny how you feel different about modern Republican attempts to do the same thing.

Lincoln was justified in saving the Union. Bush easily could have succeeded in spending less than 10% of what he did and almost 200,000 dead and wounded in Iraq on all sides. Being objective and balanced and knowledgeable will improve your creditability here, QWB.

Saved the Union just like a husband that beats his wife into submission to stop her from divorcing him.

Saved the Union just like a husband that beats his wife into submission to stop her from divorcing him.

(sigh) A wife has the legal right to divorce her husband and to be protected from his violence.

The Confederacy had no right to exist and was righteously beaten down and murdered.

Forum List

Back