Paperback or Kindle?

Montrovant Do you tap the part on the home page that is a few little lines to get to different settings? (hope that made sense)

I don't have a touch screen. :D I hit the home button, then the settings button. I also tried the settings button while in a book. No go.

This is what my kindle looks like:
kindle-4th-gen-7.jpg

This is what it looks like once you go to settings:
kindle-factory-reset-screen.jpg

Except for me, I've only got 2 pages of settings stuff. :)

Ahh okay. Yep, yours does look different.

One thing I've been known to do with some books; particularly heavier reading; is to highlight certain passages, and quotes. Usually by the end of a book I have enough material singled out; that I can go back at a later date, and skim through to find the important parts I'm looking for. If the kindles had a way of doing the same thing; that would be a plus for me, and would pique my interest. Maybe something like a "blank page" attached to the book file; that could be used to cut and past quotes, and passages to. Is that an option? If not... It should be. Its an excellent idea for study.

Kindles DO have something like that....and then some. :)

Yes. The Kindle Fire especially lets you highlight and has means of making notes, etc. Quite a remarkable thing.

One thing I've been known to do with some books; particularly heavier reading; is to highlight certain passages, and quotes. Usually by the end of a book I have enough material singled out; that I can go back at a later date, and skim through to find the important parts I'm looking for. If the kindles had a way of doing the same thing; that would be a plus for me, and would pique my interest. Maybe something like a "blank page" attached to the book file; that could be used to cut and past quotes, and passages to. Is that an option? If not... It should be. Its an excellent idea for study.

Yes. The Kindle Fire especially lets you highlight and has means of making notes, etc. Quite a remarkable thing.

I haven't talked to you in forever. How are you doing sweetie?

Hello old friend. I wish I was richer, younger, and less busy, but all in all I am doing great. Hope you are also. :)

They are not mutually exclusive, I have plenty of books too, and many have book marks of material I use when posting, on a myriad of topics.
`
If this thread is going to degenerate into a "which format is the best" argument, then I'm out. First off, that's a childish argument. I prefer books over electronics, for the reasons I listed. I never said I don't use electronic devices. This is just a matter of taste. I use books especially when I travel, which I do a lot of. When I drive, I listen to audio books. To each, their own.

I don't think it is a matter of which format is best. Just folks discussing why they prefer one over the other as you did here. I too enjoy sitting back with a real bound book in my hand. I like not worrying about having to track how much power I have left on the Kindle and being able to go back to a previous chapter or whatever more easily. Paper books are user friendly.

BUT. . .on the road or at interminable waits at the MVD or doctor's office or at loose ends when visiting somebody or whatever, I have a whole library of books and reference information and games at my fingertips with my Kindle Fire. I can Facebook or access USMB or do many of the tasks I can do with a computer. Or just sit and finish up a good book and start another or shop for a new book to read. And with many of the e-book services out there--especially Amazon--there are lots of pretty good or at least readable free e-books for those times you really don't have extra money to spend.

I think most people who love books probably love books regardless of the format.

Kindle. If I were to put both of my books on my shelf, then I'd need to find another place for my pet rock.

Montrovant Do you tap the part on the home page that is a few little lines to get to different settings? (hope that made sense)

I don't have a touch screen. :D I hit the home button, then the settings button. I also tried the settings button while in a book. No go.

kindle-4th-gen-7.jpg

For those who prefer Kindle more, you might like the Kindle Oasis

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

Kindle. If I were to put both of my books on my shelf, then I'd need to find another place for my pet rock.

kindle-4th-gen-7.jpg

For those who prefer Kindle more, you might like the Kindle Oasis

Ouch! $250 is way too much for me to spend. :p

Hello old friend. I wish I was richer, younger, and less busy, but all in all I am doing great. Hope you are also. :)

Recovering from a spinal fusion, but back to work and doing very good.

Forum List

Back