Paperback or Kindle?

They are not mutually exclusive, I have plenty of books too, and many have book marks of material I use when posting, on a myriad of topics.
`
If this thread is going to degenerate into a "which format is the best" argument, then I'm out. First off, that's a childish argument. I prefer books over electronics, for the reasons I listed. I never said I don't use electronic devices. This is just a matter of taste. I use books especially when I travel, which I do a lot of. When I drive, I listen to audio books. To each, their own.

Keeping an ereader charged isn't hard. It doesn't take too long, and the charge lasts for quite a while with a good one. That is certainly an advantage to paper books, though.

Not showing page numbers is my biggest gripe with the early Kindle versions. It shows percentage of the book read, instead. That's actually nice to see, but I'd like to have the page numbers prominent, as well. The Kobo I had showed page numbers.

Most of the books I read on my Kindle I use how many pages left. If it is set differently, I just go in and set it how I want it. Very few I have found force me to only have reading progress %.

I'm using a 4th gen Kindle now, and had a 3rd gen before. There may be a way for page numbers to be displayed, but the default setting is to show %. From the little I've looked at it, page numbers were added in later additions; the older ones may just not have it as an option. :dunno:

Did you try going into Settings and Reading Progress??

That isn't an option in my settings. :)

Hmm......all of the Kindles I have owned had that option.....even my Fire, and my tablet.

Like I said, mine is an older version. The 4th gen came out in 2011. I can see what page I am on when I use the Go To function. I might be able to get page numbers with a software update, but I keep my wireless turned off. I had a Kobo ereader not long ago that crapped out by itself, after only using it for less than a month, and that possibly had to do with a software update. I don't need to do an update on the Kindle; it works fine, and I can transfer books through the PC. I'm sort of in an "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" mindset. :p

I may go ahead and try to get an update to see if it gives me page numbers at some point. I'm not sure if it would give me the Reading Progress option in my settings, though.

Do you prefer old-fashioned books or are you a Kindle person?

I read a kindle because it's more useful.

I went traveling for three months around Africa, then went to Thailand for a month, and I had with me hundreds of books. I can also get books I wouldn't buy for free to check them out. I've rejected lots of authors that way.

`
`

I like books over electronic devices. They don't require batteries or an energy source and if you drop one, it will not break.

Not breaking when you drop them is probably the biggest advantage of paper books over Kindle. Similarly, if your Kindle breaks, you can't read the books until you repair or replace it, while if you ruin a paper book, you can read one of your other paper books.

My last Kindle was very good about working after I dropped it, though. With no case, I dropped that thing onto concrete a number of times while out walking the dog. It worked for about 7 years before it gave out. I might have been able to get it repaired, but it didn't seem cost effective.

I went traveling for three months around Africa, then went to Thailand for a month, and I had with me hundreds of books. I can also get books I wouldn't buy for free to check them out. I've rejected lots of authors that way.

Between out-of-copyright books from Project Gutenberg, to places like Baen Books' free online library, there are quite a few places to get free ebooks. I know a lot of people self-publish ebooks, as well, and you can often get some of those for free, but I haven't been willing to wade through the potential crap looking for gems, so I don't know what kind of quality you get there. :)

Between out-of-copyright books from Project Gutenberg, to places like Baen Books' free online library, there are quite a few places to get free ebooks. I know a lot of people self-publish ebooks, as well, and you can often get some of those for free, but I haven't been willing to wade through the potential crap looking for gems, so I don't know what kind of quality you get there. :)

Robin Hobb's been my biggest find, along with the Insepctor Frost series and Harry Hole series. I really don't think I'd have started reading them if I couldn't just get random books that I knew I'd throw away.

Whenever living abroad this is amazing. I used to live in one country where it was a 6 or 7 hour journey to the nearest foreign language book store. I'd go one every 6 months and stock up with the classics and then worry I'd run out of stuff to read.

They are not mutually exclusive, I have plenty of books too, and many have book marks of material I use when posting, on a myriad of topics.
`
If this thread is going to degenerate into a "which format is the best" argument, then I'm out. First off, that's a childish argument. I prefer books over electronics, for the reasons I listed. I never said I don't use electronic devices. This is just a matter of taste. I use books especially when I travel, which I do a lot of. When I drive, I listen to audio books. To each, their own.

Good. Get out then. You think this thread was made just for you or something? Go back and read the OP. Windparadox

Most of the books I read on my Kindle I use how many pages left. If it is set differently, I just go in and set it how I want it. Very few I have found force me to only have reading progress %.

I'm using a 4th gen Kindle now, and had a 3rd gen before. There may be a way for page numbers to be displayed, but the default setting is to show %. From the little I've looked at it, page numbers were added in later additions; the older ones may just not have it as an option. :dunno:

Did you try going into Settings and Reading Progress??

That isn't an option in my settings. :)

Hmm......all of the Kindles I have owned had that option.....even my Fire, and my tablet.

Like I said, mine is an older version. The 4th gen came out in 2011. I can see what page I am on when I use the Go To function. I might be able to get page numbers with a software update, but I keep my wireless turned off. I had a Kobo ereader not long ago that crapped out by itself, after only using it for less than a month, and that possibly had to do with a software update. I don't need to do an update on the Kindle; it works fine, and I can transfer books through the PC. I'm sort of in an "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" mindset. :p

I may go ahead and try to get an update to see if it gives me page numbers at some point. I'm not sure if it would give me the Reading Progress option in my settings, though.

It would be worth it if there is an update available. I forgot about updates. Mine is off until I turn it on to read each night, but I think it still would notify me of an update.

Robin Hobb's been my biggest find, along with the Insepctor Frost series and Harry Hole series. I really don't think I'd have started reading them if I couldn't just get random books that I knew I'd throw away.

Whenever living abroad this is amazing. I used to live in one country where it was a 6 or 7 hour journey to the nearest foreign language book store. I'd go one every 6 months and stock up with the classics and then worry I'd run out of stuff to read.

I thought I had read something by Robin Hobb, but looking back, I think I may have gotten a book of her's but never read it. :p

Montrovant Do you tap the part on the home page that is a few little lines to get to different settings? (hope that made sense)

I thought I had read something by Robin Hobb, but looking back, I think I may have gotten a book of her's but never read it. :p

She's really good at making fantasy seem real. I've read 4 of her trilogies, though her last trilogy has 4 books, so.... 3=4

I have a paper white Kindle, but will often use the Kindle app on My iPad for the screen size. I have no place to put any more books and to be honest, I can carry My entire reading library in My back pocket.

I know what you mean. I have books and books and more books.
I gave away many after I bought my first Kindle. Gave to charity. Figured someone would enjoy them. :)

I have done much the same. I love my books and have so many--I've never counted but I am sure they number into the several hundreds. But so many people could benefit from reading those that I will probably not read again--I do have several I just won't part with. But the Kindle has changed my reading habits as I can carry a whole library with me everywhere I go with it.

I have a paper white Kindle, but will often use the Kindle app on My iPad for the screen size. I have no place to put any more books and to be honest, I can carry My entire reading library in My back pocket.

I know what you mean. I have books and books and more books.
I gave away many after I bought my first Kindle. Gave to charity. Figured someone would enjoy them. :)

I have done much the same. I love my books and have so many--I've never counted but I am sure they number into the several hundreds. But so many people could benefit from reading those that I will probably not read again--I do have several I just won't part with. But the Kindle has changed my reading habits as I can carry a whole library with me everywhere I go with it.

Exactly!

One thing I've been known to do with some books; particularly heavier reading; is to highlight certain passages, and quotes. Usually by the end of a book I have enough material singled out; that I can go back at a later date, and skim through to find the important parts I'm looking for. If the kindles had a way of doing the same thing; that would be a plus for me, and would pique my interest. Maybe something like a "blank page" attached to the book file; that could be used to cut and past quotes, and passages to. Is that an option? If not... It should be. Its an excellent idea for study.

One thing I've been known to do with some books; particularly heavier reading; is to highlight certain passages, and quotes. Usually by the end of a book I have enough material singled out; that I can go back at a later date, and skim through to find the important parts I'm looking for. If the kindles had a way of doing the same thing; that would be a plus for me, and would pique my interest. Maybe something like a "blank page" attached to the book file; that could be used to cut and past quotes, and passages to. Is that an option? If not... It should be. Its an excellent idea for study.

Kindles DO have something like that....and then some. :)

Kindles DO have something like that....and then some. :)

Yes. The Kindle Fire especially lets you highlight and has means of making notes, etc. Quite a remarkable thing.

Montrovant Do you tap the part on the home page that is a few little lines to get to different settings? (hope that made sense)

I don't have a touch screen. :D I hit the home button, then the settings button. I also tried the settings button while in a book. No go.

This is what my kindle looks like:
kindle-4th-gen-7.jpg

This is what it looks like once you go to settings:
kindle-factory-reset-screen.jpg

Except for me, I've only got 2 pages of settings stuff. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

I've never used it, as I read almost exclusively fiction and don't see any reason for highlighting that, but I know that Kindles have highlight and note functionality. However, it may not be as user-friendly as a paper book and a pen/highlight marker. :dunno:

New Topics

Forum List

Back