Paperback or Kindle?

Then there's also pride of ownership that accompanies a vintage, or signed book. How can an author sign an e book?

I still buy the books, signed when possible. But for comfort in reading I prefer the Kindle.

Was surprised how well I liked it - never would have bought one for myself, it was a gift. First thought I would miss the feel and the weight of a book, the satisfaction of turning the pages. Now I've forgotten how to turn pages in a real book, and am taken aback when tapping doesn't have the desired effect.

Bit with a book, there's something about making the half way mark, or counting the pages till the end of the chapter; to see if you can stay awake just long enough to make it... Plus, a book never goes dead.

Keeping an ereader charged isn't hard. It doesn't take too long, and the charge lasts for quite a while with a good one. That is certainly an advantage to paper books, though.

Not showing page numbers is my biggest gripe with the early Kindle versions. It shows percentage of the book read, instead. That's actually nice to see, but I'd like to have the page numbers prominent, as well. The Kobo I had showed page numbers.

Most of the books I read on my Kindle I use how many pages left. If it is set differently, I just go in and set it how I want it. Very few I have found force me to only have reading progress %.

I'm using a 4th gen Kindle now, and had a 3rd gen before. There may be a way for page numbers to be displayed, but the default setting is to show %. From the little I've looked at it, page numbers were added in later additions; the older ones may just not have it as an option. :dunno:

Bit with a book, there's something about making the half way mark, or counting the pages till the end of the chapter; to see if you can stay awake just long enough to make it... Plus, a book never goes dead.

Keeping an ereader charged isn't hard. It doesn't take too long, and the charge lasts for quite a while with a good one. That is certainly an advantage to paper books, though.

Not showing page numbers is my biggest gripe with the early Kindle versions. It shows percentage of the book read, instead. That's actually nice to see, but I'd like to have the page numbers prominent, as well. The Kobo I had showed page numbers.

Most of the books I read on my Kindle I use how many pages left. If it is set differently, I just go in and set it how I want it. Very few I have found force me to only have reading progress %.

I'm using a 4th gen Kindle now, and had a 3rd gen before. There may be a way for page numbers to be displayed, but the default setting is to show %. From the little I've looked at it, page numbers were added in later additions; the older ones may just not have it as an option. :dunno:

Did you try going into Settings and Reading Progress??

Kindle for me.
Being able to buy a new book while lying in bed is a game changer.
I also like that I can download three or four books when we go on vacation and dont have to waste luggage space with books.

Do you prefer old-fashioned books or are you a Kindle person?
I love old fashioned books but as I get older I find my Kindle to be more eyesight friendly.

I still read both- but my Kindle more.

Do you prefer old-fashioned books or are you a Kindle person?

The printed page, because it can't be changed with the stroke of a keyboard.

I have an extensive personal library. :eek: Extensive digital one, too.

Last edited:
I have a paper white Kindle, but will often use the Kindle app on My iPad for the screen size. I have no place to put any more books and to be honest, I can carry My entire reading library in My back pocket.

That isn't an option in my settings. :)

That isn't an option in my settings. :)

Hmm......all of the Kindles I have owned had that option.....even my Fire, and my tablet.

I have a paper white Kindle, but will often use the Kindle app on My iPad for the screen size. I have no place to put any more books and to be honest, I can carry My entire reading library in My back pocket.

I know what you mean. I have books and books and more books.
I gave away many after I bought my first Kindle. Gave to charity. Figured someone would enjoy them. :)

`
`

I like books over electronic devices. They don't require batteries or an energy source and if you drop one, it will not break.

Never dropped one all the years I have had them. Mine is in a protective case anyhow. Nice to be able to see to read if power goes out etc.

PLus they don't stink. But, I like both actually. Just allergic to the paper and ink.

Forum List

Back