Papa Obama's goals for fake global warming might mean $7/gal gas

And while we're all waiting for these incredible innovations to push us away from gas.... can you imagine what will happen to basic prices of goods.... which need to be transported.

To believe our economy is that fragile is alarmist nightmare.

Really. Please describe the impact of an immediate jump in petrol prices to $20 per gallon.

TYIAFYC
You start. You're the one claiming disaster.

I'm going to use 2005 data for this:

Average Per Capita U.S. income was @ $35K

Average Per Capita Gasoline Consumptions was 604 gallons - let's assume that is $3/gallon, or approximate $1.8K per person.

What is the impact of increasing the cost of gasoline by $17/gallon, taking $10K plus out of the $35K of income (without the multiplier effect of how that increase will drive up the cost of every product or service the individual consumes).?

In a society, energy or the lack thereof is a major determiner of quality of life. If you think we can divert 30% more out of per capita income to more expensive gasoline without feeling significant pain, so be it.

Such an increase would cause enormous dislocation as people severely cut back on consumption of other goods and services to finance their unavoidable use of petrol. We have neither the energy infrastructure in place for on demand substitutes - nor sufficient public transportation to handle wholesale abandonment of automobiles.

I'd like to see you explain how we could turn our economy on such a dime.

Really. Please describe the impact of an immediate jump in petrol prices to $20 per gallon.

TYIAFYC

Average Per Capita Gasoline Consumptions was 604 gallons - let's assume that is $3/gallon, or approximate $1.8K per person.

What is the impact of increasing the cost of gasoline by $17/gallon, taking $10K plus out of the $35K of income
First impact would be, ALL unnecessary or frivolous driving would be gone.

Think about that. Then re-crunch those numbers.

What is the impact of increasing the cost of gasoline by $17/gallon, taking $10K plus out of the $35K of income

Define Unnecessary or Frivolous.

You are assuming that people now are not acting in their own rational self-interest with their current levels of consumption.

Think about that and recrunch your thinking.

You are assuming that people now are not acting in their own rational self-interest with their current levels of consumption.

Think about that and recrunch your thinking.
You're assuming they are.

You're not really thinking about this, only knee-jerk reacting.

Really, please think about it for awhile.

I have thought about it. Increasing the cost of gasoline by 567% is not something the average American could easily absorb without a significantly lower standard of living.

If such lower standard of living is your objective, then I can't help but wonder about your motivation and values.

The little trip around the corner to the c-store for ice cream.

It's not that hard to think about unnecessary and frivolous driving and come up with more examples.

$20/gallon gasoline would cause lots of motorcycle, moped, bicycle and scooter buying, spurring the economy. Folks would use the car only when absolutely necessary, unclogging the streets and highways and greatly reducing deaths on same. Also, greatly reducing maintenance costs for same.

I have thought about it. Increasing the cost of gasoline by 567% is not something the average American could easily absorb without a significantly lower standard of living.

If such lower standard of living is your objective, then I can't help but wonder about your motivation and values.
You believe riding a motorcycle or scooter, or a bicycle is lower standard?

You are NOT thinking about this.

Oh wait. I just realized you might be thinking that I'm proposing a huge tax to make gasoline $20/gallon. My bad, I ASSumed most folks knew my stance on that.

No. MY idea is, STOP all oil imports from those who don't like us. I mean ALL. THIS is what would drive the price up. Temporarily.

Now is it getting clearer?

Oh wait. I just realized you might be thinking that I'm proposing a huge tax to make gasoline $20/gallon. My bad, I ASSumed most folks knew my stance on that.

No. MY idea is, STOP all oil imports from those who don't like us. I mean ALL. THIS is what would drive the price up. Temporarily.

I'm not familiar with you - so thank you for the clarification.

I'd rather see us drill off the coasts and in ANWAR - and build a bunch of nuclear plants while we wean ourselves off of foreign oil.

I'm not familiar with you - so thank you for the clarification.

I'd rather see us drill off the coasts and in ANWAR - and build a bunch of nuclear plants while we wean ourselves off of foreign oil.
Not enough oil in ANWR to make drilling viable.

Nuclear is one big piece of the answer.

STOP all oil imports from belligerents, right now. No weaning. This would destroy them and greatly enrich us.

High gas prices is what cost the GOP in 2006. How fucking dare they "speculate". Notice the oil companies haven't dared try to jack up the prices because of events that happen in Iraq and Iran every fucking day.

Remember every day the oil companies would use some lame piece of news as their reason why they had to raise prices. Remember Israel flew over Iran and it raised gas prices? What a fucking joke.

The little trip around the corner to the c-store for ice cream.

It's not that hard to think about unnecessary and frivolous driving and come up with more examples.

Your definition of frivolous seems to be crushing the fun and joy out of life.

$20/gallon gasoline would cause lots of motorcycle, moped, bicycle and scooter buying, spurring the economy. Folks would use the car only when absolutely necessary, unclogging the streets and highways and greatly reducing deaths on same. Also, greatly reducing maintenance costs for same.

And increasing the death rate as people adopt forms which provide no protection in the case of an accident.

There is nothing stopping people who wish to use motorcycles, mopeds, scooters, and bicycles from doing so now. Forcing the rest to adopt methods they do not prefer by manipulating the price of gasoline beyond natural market forces is just social engineering. Which begs the question, who should decide when and how to socially engineer our society?

Given the values of those who are generally most eager to drive the social engineering policy (cf, progressives), I say no thank you.

Forum List

Back