panic attacks and other fun things!

Hey Strollingbones ... sorry to hear you're dealing with a panic attack and anxiety.
I can relate to how you must be feeling, having dealt with anxiety and depression myself.

Do you meditate?
I find it helps me.

Sitting quiet taking in a few deep breaths and then focusing on your breathing. Counting each breath up to ten, and then starting at one again. Clear your mind of any fears and negative thoughts while you tell yourself out loud that you release the feelings of panic. Tell yourself you're willing to let go of your fears, tension, anger, guilt and sadness. Tell yourself you're at peace with yourself. Tell yourself you are safe.

Another exercise that I find works wonders is mirror work.
When one wants to get their point across and have you believe them, they look directly into your eyes. Well, do the same to yourself. Stand in front of a mirror looking straight into your own eyes and tell yourself whatever will work for you. Say it loud and make yourself believe it!

If you take any of the advice I posted, I do hope it works for you.
Take care.

Last edited:
thanks everyone....i made it ...without a full blown attack....

frogen is right...typing about it....just taking my mind off of it..helps..thanks for reading....

Pissing myself laughing here Bones!

But seriously I don't think cannabis is a good idea for someone having a panic attack. Mind you I could be wrong Xotoxi is better placed to make any statement about that but I reckon TCP isn't what you need in your system with all those other hormones blasting around causing and reinforcing that horrible bloody feeling.

Last edited:
Well, there goes my plan to down some magic mushroom risotto next time I have a panic attack.

And I was really looking forward to that nude kick boxing match with Jehovah too.

Glad you pulled through Strolling.

I feel kind of left out with this kind of stuff, panic attacks, migraines, mental problems and the rest. I just haven't experienced it and have a hard time relating. In other words, I'm pretty well, no help at all. If they tell me they need something no problem, they got it.

The most I ever get is crazy nervous but it only lasts until someone does something stupid and I laugh..in my life there's no lack of stupid..:lol:.

I have panic disorder. I did take xanax which worked really well for quite a few years, but no longer does.

Now I'm taking zoloft, and it seems to work well. I'm definitely sleeping better...I get insomnia and don't sleep for about a week out of each month, more or less (and not necessarily all at once...I might have two episodes where I don't sleep for three nights, or sleep only an hour at a time.)

It helps to know what it is...when I have one, I can tell myself "it's just a panic attack..." and though that won't help me sleep or feel better physically, it helps me mentally to know it will end, and to know that I didn't do anything wrong.

Cuz that's the thing...when I have panic attacks I feel like I've done something wrong, or like something bad has happened. It's this horrible feeling of DOOM. I don't want to go to work, don't want to get out of bed.

Some things will trigger it...alcohol is a big one. I've always been someone who likes to drink, but I quit because if I drink the next day I have HIDEOUS panic attacks. The kind that feels like a heart attack. My blood pressure goes up, my heart races and skips, I hyperventilate, I'm sick to my stomach, the whole shebang.

Breathing exercises do help a little, as does regular exercise. The thing is, when you're in the throes of one the last thing in the world you want to do is physically exert yourself...you just want to hole up.

Glad you feel better, Bones. Marijuana helps some people. BUT if you're using marijuana and you're having attacks you might try laying off and see if you feel better. Our systems get used to things and will use them against us (like mine started using xanax against me, and alcohol). Don't know why, it just is.

I have panic disorder. I did take xanax which worked really well for quite a few years, but no longer does.

Now I'm taking zoloft, and it seems to work well. I'm definitely sleeping better...I get insomnia and don't sleep for about a week out of each month, more or less (and not necessarily all at once...I might have two episodes where I don't sleep for three nights, or sleep only an hour at a time.)

It helps to know what it is...when I have one, I can tell myself "it's just a panic attack..." and though that won't help me sleep or feel better physically, it helps me mentally to know it will end, and to know that I didn't do anything wrong.

Cuz that's the thing...when I have panic attacks I feel like I've done something wrong, or like something bad has happened. It's this horrible feeling of DOOM. I don't want to go to work, don't want to get out of bed.

Some things will trigger it...alcohol is a big one. I've always been someone who likes to drink, but I quit because if I drink the next day I have HIDEOUS panic attacks. The kind that feels like a heart attack. My blood pressure goes up, my heart races and skips, I hyperventilate, I'm sick to my stomach, the whole shebang.

Breathing exercises do help a little, as does regular exercise. The thing is, when you're in the throes of one the last thing in the world you want to do is physically exert yourself...you just want to hole up.

Glad you feel better, Bones. Marijuana helps some people. BUT if you're using marijuana and you're having attacks you might try laying off and see if you feel better. Our systems get used to things and will use them against us (like mine started using xanax against me, and alcohol). Don't know why, it just is.

Like I said I'm not much help..

I know when my wife started going through the change, menopause, she hardly ever got a good nights sleep and was grumpy. What do doctors say, is this related to chemical changes that women go through?

I went through a time where I had them too. My doc told me to immediately start exercising when I feel one coming on. Not too hard but do some situps, running in place, whatever you like.

Take care.

Light exercise is a really good (non pharmaceutical) coping strategy for panic disorder. I have been dealing with this disorder for years--both with myself, and other familiy members who also have it. We use both non-pharm and pharm coping strategies, depending on the severity of the attack(s). I prefer non-pharm coping strategies, but sometimes there really is NO choice and you have to take medicine.

bones...one strategy that works really well for me when I feel everything crashing down on me is breathing exercises....while telling myself that everything/everyone I love is O-K, and that I can get through whatever the problem(s) are "Just for Today". That's all. I tell myself I only have to do whatever it is "Just for Today". Sounds silly and its definitely different, but it works for me. Try it....it can't hurt.

Take care of yourself.... you deserve good things. :)

Jen

I know when my wife started going through the change, menopause, she hardly ever got a good nights sleep and was grumpy. What do doctors say, is this related to chemical changes that women go through?

try not to be a fucking idiot here.....men have panic attacks....my panic attacks started when i had a concussion from falling on the ice....is that a "woman" thing too?

the breathing works till you start to hyperventilate ....

Yeah, that's the downside of this technique. I think the hope is that it will work and the panic attack will be over *before* you get to the point of hyperventilation. ;)

I used to take Xanax years ago, but like Allie, it quit working for me. We changed my medication over to Klonopin (clonazepam) and its done a great job for quite some time now.

Klonopin is a longer acting medication than regular Xanas, so it stays in your system longer at a low level, preventing panic attacks before they even have a chance to get started. It's easy to keep up with too--since it's only an AM/PM dosing schedule. Beyond that, I have noticed the side effects are fewer--for instance, it doesn't make me as sleepy as the Xanax did either so I can take it during the daytime and still function normally.

I rarely, rarely ever need to take Klonopin anymore. The last time I had my Rx filled, the tablets actually expired before I could use them all up. I'd say that's progress!

At any rate, there is help available and there is no reason to suffer so. Anytime you'd like to PM about this, feel free.

Jen

try not to be a fucking idiot here.....men have panic attacks....my panic attacks started when i had a concussion from falling on the ice....is that a "woman" thing too?

:eusa_eh:.. Sorry Honey Bun, this was all about you after all. I'm glad you've refilled up on your supply of piss and vinegar and I was there for you..:eusa_shifty:...ya real glad...:lol:

Forum List

Back