panic attacks and other fun things!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by strollingbones, Mar 25, 2010.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,921
    i am fighting a panic attack...i had them for years after a major closed head injury....fancy word for major concussion....but i havent had one in years.....*knock on wood* do you know why we knock on wood.....indians...native not ghandi's....believe that the spirits of their ancestors lived in the surrounding trees and would knock on a tree for good luck and fortune....i need to really to doing things....so i feel guilty..i hate guilt...such a useless emote...i need to be in 3 or 4 places at one time...for the next forever....

pull up a chair for the pity party....

everything is just crashing in on me...today...yea right this minute...6:41 am...i must face life and sudden decisions...or go back to bed....you know my big fear is...if i go back to bed...i wont ever get back up....a friend of mine's mother did that....just went to bed one day and never got back out...the old south....

so now i am fighting it off...i feel the panic welling up...and have to literally swallow...and breath deeply....so easy to go over the edge and let the whole thing swept you up and take you away.....like mother fucking calgon....damn i digress..

for the years i had attacks...i rarely left the house...i didnt work...i didnt go out...i just waited for the attacks to come...i was having them about 5 to 8 times a day...crippling...i would drive somewhere with friends...get there and be unable to get out of the car....i was a fun date!

it is so easy to go from a fun loving person ...to a total hermit..i know that...i am one of the lucky ones...my doctor always told me the attacks would stop one day...he never cursed me with them for life...but when i feel this way...i start to panic

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  2. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,985
    I went through a time where I had them too. My doc told me to immediately start exercising when I feel one coming on. Not too hard but do some situps, running in place, whatever you like.

Take care.

3. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    Do you ever get paranoid...

and think that someone is...

[​IMG]

FOLLOWING YOU???

4. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    A person I know well has them and the cause while unclear seems to be related to depression caused by inner ear trouble, a disease know as Meniere's. Once a symptom appears the panic starts. Xanax was the cure, and while it is addictive there may be something milder that would work too. Xanax calms the mind.

Warning: Do not take usmb recommended medicines without checking with your doctor or pharmacist. Keep out of reach of children. ;)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,969
    Asshole.

6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,969
    I had a few for a year or so after I got out of the Military. Never real bad I usually managed to control them with controlled breathing and putting myself in an enclosed space or corner with my eyes closed. They always had to do with crowds.

7. sparky

sparky VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    Bones, if you've had this for a while i won't bore you with all the 'fixes' out there, safe to say you should find what works for you....~S~

8. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,921
    oooooooooo i still cant do crowds....but i cant do enclosed spaces either...exercise does help....when i get real bad i call da man...his voice helps...i took a shower..that is one of my safe things....i have safe things....

i love the gopher....and i am not paranoid...yet

9. KissMy

KissMy Free Breast Exam

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,922
    Try EMDR therapy it really works. Go to a quiet place or lay in bed. Think of the thing causing trauma, anxiety, panic, disturbing memories, post traumatic stress and many other emotional problems. Dart your eyes side to side or with your hands pat your legs alternately. Basically you are trying to switch between the right & left sides of your brain to get them both processing the problem. It is kind of like self hypnosis. The thing you are thinking of will bring up other memories linked to that. It may even take you back to child-hood. Just keep processing those thoughts. You will know it was successful if you get extremely tired afterwords. You may take care of the problem in one try or you can do this every so often when this problem gets to you. Finally it will permanently resolve itself.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  10. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,921
    omg i saw this brain gym thing....the right side left side exercises...reminded of doing the hokey pokey....