Panetta: Israel strike in Iran will engage US

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by toomuchtime_, Mar 31, 2012.

1. toomuchtime_

toomuchtime_ Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,990
    Panetta: Israel strike in Iran will engage US - Israel News, Ynetnews

Of course it's clear that the US will join in when Israel strikes Iran's nuclear weapons and long range missile programs both from a policy and a political perspective. In terms of policy, the administration has been unequivocal in stating it would do whatever was necessary to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons. Since an Israeli strike will create a lot of blowback that will make it difficult to take strong action against Iran at a later time, it makes sense to make sure these programs are completely destroyed, and, of course, it makes sense in light of Iran's many threats to retaliate against US interests to destroy Iran's ability to project military force beyond its borders.

As a matter of politics, with recent polls showing the majority of Americans supporting using military force to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons, it makes good political sense to make sure Iran's nuclear weapons and long range missile programs are smoked and that Iran's offensive capabilities are destroyed.

2. JStone

JStone BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    I don't believe US involvement would be imminent. America is war weary despite siding with Israel, and, Obama is wobbly on Israel.

3. toomuchtime_

toomuchtime_ Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,990
    On his best days, Obama is wobbly on Israel, and I agree that he doesn't want to take military action against Iran at this time, but I am confident that once Israel attacks, the US will at least supply logistical support and may well join the attack for the reasons I cited above. To put it another way, it will get him more votes than the strongest pro Israel or anti Iran speech he can make.

4. JStone

JStone BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    If the calculus is that going into Iran would be politically expedient, Obama will do so. Otherwise, I don't see him helping Israel in an offensive, rather than defensive, war, especially given US pressure against an Israeli attack.

5. toomuchtime_

toomuchtime_ Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,990
    I don't believe Obama would give Israel support for an attack beforehand, but if Israel attacks without a US green light, I think Obama would order US forces to at least provide logistical support. Perhaps we'll just have to wait and see.

6. pbel

pbel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +907
    It is clear as a bell, that Israel through the Power of AIPAC over Money donations to Congress and the Presidency that the Tail Wags the Dog America...Israel's plans are to start more wars against her enemies in Islam, so she can keep her war gains in Israel.

American boys die daily for a Foreign Power.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Hossfly

Hossfly ZIONUT Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,549
    It's clear as a bell that Pbel doesn't work for Fox News Channel. Stormfront?

8. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    As Iran has long claimed that if Israel strikes them, Iran's counter attack would include us, or our interests, it would follow that we would be involved. Unless, obama just absorbs attacks on our interests around the world and does nothing.

9. toomuchtime_

toomuchtime_ Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,990
    It's like you stepped right out of 19th Russia or 1930's Germany to put up this post. AIPAC issues no political endorsements and makes no political contributions. US politicians overwhelmingly support Israel because, as polls show, US voters overwhelmingly support Israel. Politicians go to AIPAC events to show their constituents they support Israel.

10. Ropey

Ropey To Life! Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,990
    And pbel thinks that those arguments pass muster.

Fail.