Panetta at CIA? Trouble is brewing.

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
I love Leon Panetta, but it seems some people in power are upset with the nomination.

Obama picks Leon Panetta as CIA head

4 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) — US president-elect Barack Obama has chosen former White House chief of staff Leon Panetta to head the Central Intelligence Agency, a Democratic Party official told AFP Monday.

In turning to a political heavyweight with no direct background in intelligence, Obama appeared to be opting for someone who would bring fresh eyes and credibility to an agency battered by controversy over its conduct of the war on terrorism.

"Here is a guy who will be very credible with the Democrats in Congress and here's someone who brings not only an outsider's perspective but knows how the White House works," said James Lewis, an intelligence expert at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

"He knows what presidents want and need. That's a plus," he said.

Panetta was former president Bill Clinton's chief of staff from 1994 to 1997, following a 16-year career as a lawmaker from California.

Although his expertise in the House of Represenatives and in the Clinton administration was in budgets and finance, observers say his political savvy and connections should make him a powerful CIA director.

His appointment will also help Obama reassure critics who worry that the leadership of the US intelligence community has been dominated in recent years by the US military.

Senator Dianne Feinstein, who will chair the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, said she had not been informed about the appointment and was ambivalent about Panetta's qualifications for the job.

"I know nothing about this, other than what I've read," the California Democrat said in a statement.

"My position has consistently been that I believe the (CIA) is best-served by having an intelligence professional in charge at this time," she added.

Panetta will work under retired admiral Dennis Blair, Obama's choice to oversee the sprawling intelligence system as director of national intelligence.

Obama has not yet formally announced either appointment, but Democratic officials and transition aides have confirmed the picks on condition of anonymity.

A former commander of US forces in the Pacific from 1999 to 2002, Blair will be only the third director of national intelligence (DNI).

The position was created by Congress in 2004 after investigations revealed that turf-sensitive intelligence agencies failed to share information that might have averted the September 11 attacks. That failure was followed by US intelligence's fateful error on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction.

The DNI's main mission was to break down the barriers between the agencies, and make them operate more collaboratively.

"It'll be interesting to see how that relationship between Blair and Panetta develops," said Lewis, noting that Panetta's political clout as a former White House chief of staff outweighs that of his nominal boss.

"Panetta is a heavyweight, and he will be reporting to Blair," he said. "What does it say about the DNI position? In some ways Panetta would have been good for that job as well."

The current leaders of the US intelligence community are retired or active military officers who have worked together for years, come from similar backgrounds and have longstanding relationships, he said.

"Picking someone who is a civilian works against that fear of militarization. It helps to have somebody who is politically astute, and one thing you can say about Leon Panetta is that he is as astute politically as you can get."

If confirmed, Panetta will replace air force general Michael Hayden, who has led the CIA since 2006.

A key challenge for Panetta will be dealing with the fallout from the CIA's use of waterboarding and other techniques widely denounced as torture on detainees at secret prisons as part of the war on terror.

John Pike, director of GlobalSecurity.Org, a non-partisan research group, said Panetta's task will be "to keep the agency out of the news."

"You need somebody who can stand up and say: 'Don't worry everything is under control, trust me.'"

Having a politically-connected CIA director will help with "the process of deconstructing the Bush policies," said Lewis.

At the CIA, he said, "they'll be watching to see what he says on the torture issue. Will he be pro-witch hunt or will he be able to defend his guys. And if he defends them, they'll love him."
- here we go...

---

and in other news....the GOP dipshit has no class and will go to court. what a doosh. what does he want....an activist court to seat him?

Seems to me that Obama is now Bush II revisited. GW wanted to be a 'domestic president' that brought both sides together. He failed in that, partially because of the election, partially because of the card deal known as 9/11. With that, I don't think he did so bad. But that is for history to decide, right now, I'm in the tiny minority.

Why is Obama copying this, at this point in time?

Seems to me that Obama is now Bush II revisited. GW wanted to be a 'domestic president' that brought both sides together. He failed in that, partially because of the election, partially because of the card deal known as 9/11. With that, I don't think he did so bad. But that is for history to decide, right now, I'm in the tiny minority.

Why is Obama copying this, at this point in time?

I have no idea what you are insinuating. Obama hasn't done anything yet as President since he is not President yet..

How did Bush do? He screwed up the occupation of Iraq with Bremer. Katrina? I believe Bush will be rated better by history than he is now, but that is so funny in some ways. He is thought of so badly now that he has nowhere else to go but up. It will all be a matter of degrees.

When 911 happened he and his team panicked...pure and simple. A few people who helped write the laws/regulations/policies for the WH concerning the WoT have suggested this is the case and they were on the inside. I saw a few speak on Cspan? I forget but it's out there.

They would not like anyone he appointed.

I think its a great Idea , the CIA needs cleaning up.

that's crazy. Why? the powers that be are huge supporters of his campaign early on. d'oh?

be clearer. are you saying the powers that be would not be happy unless they got to appoint or that they have it in for Obama?

I have no idea what you are insinuating. Obama hasn't done anything yet as President since he is not President yet..

How did Bush do? He screwed up the occupation of Iraq with Bremer. Katrina? I believe Bush will be rated better by history than he is now, but that is so funny in some ways. He is thought of so badly now that he has nowhere else to go but up. It will all be a matter of degrees.

When 911 happened he and his team panicked...pure and simple. A few people who helped write the laws/regulations/policies for the WH concerning the WoT have suggested this is the case and they were on the inside. I saw a few speak on Cspan? I forget but it's out there.

Cool that, how you pile on and later come to ask, 'why' I said what I did.

If he was on the ball 911 would not have happened.

Absolute 100% BULLSHIT. I think Bush is one of the worst presidents in modern history, but 9/11 was NOT because Bush wasn't on the ball. 9/11 happened because our intelligence agencies were so fucked up in the late '90s, early 2000s, they couldn't even get the Colenel's secret recipie from KFC!

The CIA learned that Pakistan and India both had nuclear weapons from CNN.

After the 1993 attack on the World Trade Center, we should've beefed up our intelligence agencies so much they were on political steroids. Instead, funding was cut to them and all of a sudden we had a budget surplus. Hell, if you cut enough defense programs, you'll have enough money to buy Russia! Good luck finding out where that is, though.

Are you Chris/Paperboy in disguise? You cannot be this stupid. The CIA needs to improve itself by growing, having less restrictions and regulations placed on it and by working with our allies and sharing intelligence. You don't hire someone who knows how to pump gas to be the CEO of Starbucks and you certainly don't hire someone who ABSOLUTELY NO intelligence experience whatsoever to be the head of the CIA.

Why the conservatives on this board aren't flipping out is beyond me. THIS IS A HORRIBLE CHOICE! This is the guy who's going to be in charge of appointing and making calls on where our intelligence goes and what we do with it. Great, he was a budget director. Hire him for the fucking budget, not to run the most important and elaborate spy agency world wide!

If he appointed, people will die. American people will die. Guaranteed.

Forum List

Back