Panera Coffee

Panera is awesome in general, "upscale fast food". It happens that when I stop in on my travels I've probably already had my coffee so I don't have an opinion but the rest of their fare is awesome for the price, and the WiFi hotspot is handy.

My Dad had stock in it years ago and it did very well as they grew. But my financial guy wasn't crazy about reinvesting. I haven't been watching how it's doing but for somebody on the road a lot like me it's a welcome sight when hunger strikes.

Yeah, I agree. And you can get good vegetarian food there.

We live in two small towns and travel to big cities fairly often. We prefer to find good mom and pop type places but if we can't, Panera is pretty good.

And, they pay a bit better than the usual fast food places and donate their leftover bread to shelters and food kitchens.

Not perfect but way better than the alternatives.

About K-cup coffee - what a rip off and amazing how many have fallen for it. Never underestimate what gullible people will spend their money on.

Sadly, one of the dummmber RWs - Katzndogz - actually said she switched to K-cups so she could throw away more trash.

Yeah, totally agree. The very concept of parceling out coffee into individual portions and then even inventing a machine to use it in is absurd. Goes against everything that represents efficiency.

It is amazing what the gullible can be sold... SUVs.... thin crust pizza.... chicken wings... seems to be entirely about offering the opportunity for the consumer to pay more and still get less value.

Oh here is a tip for you coffee lovers. If you use cream in your coffee? Make your own. Buy a a little container of half and half whipping cream. Pour out some in a small cup or bowl and use a whisking tool and whip it up into a fluffy texture - like whipped cream looks- then take a teaspoon or two of that and put it into your freshly made coffee. You will not taste a better coffee cream than that. It is very easy to do and here is the best part - you can take the cream you didn't use and put it in a small tupperware container and save it for your next coffee. It is a part of the "coffee experience". Enjoy. p.s. taste it before adding any sugar.

I imagine that stuff is already spiked with sugar... same as making a mocha, which I'll do with just a touch of hot chocolate powder.

But I use soy creamer and avoid the dairy altogether. That way I'm not hacking up phlegm later on.
I sweeten with (usually) agave syrup. I've got a bag of this natural stuff called SustaBowl if I run short.

It must be, Pogo. Because I do not add any sugar to my coffee with it. Agave syrup is natural - so that is fine - but do not ever use a false sweetner - that is bad for your body - in fact I would not even take a synthetic medicine as it doesn't leave your body. It's cumalative. Who knows what the long term effects?

I absolutely agree. Sustabowl is completely natural though.

I'm looking at Truvia --- not for a source at home but just because I see it in public as an alternative to sugar. Absent any other alternatives I'll use honey.

I will ask my husband to look for that. Thank you, Pogo. I do use honey as my alternate - especially in tea.

Panera is awesome in general, "upscale fast food". It happens that when I stop in on my travels I've probably already had my coffee so I don't have an opinion but the rest of their fare is awesome for the price, and the WiFi hotspot is handy.

My Dad had stock in it years ago and it did very well as they grew. But my financial guy wasn't crazy about reinvesting. I haven't been watching how it's doing but for somebody on the road a lot like me it's a welcome sight when hunger strikes.

We live in two small towns and travel to big cities fairly often. We prefer to find good mom and pop type places but if we can't, Panera is pretty good.

And, they pay a bit better than the usual fast food places and donate their leftover bread to shelters and food kitchens.

About K-cup coffee - what a rip off and amazing how many have fallen for it. Never underestimate what gullible people will spend their money on.

Sadly, one of the dummmber RWs - Katzndogz - actually said she switched to K-cups so she could throw away more trash.

Yeah, totally agree. The very concept of parceling out coffee into individual portions and then even inventing a machine to use it in is absurd. Goes against everything that represents efficiency.

It is amazing what the gullible can be sold... SUVs.... thin crust pizza.... chicken wings... seems to be entirely about offering the opportunity for the consumer to pay more and still get less value.

When it comes to fooling the gullible consumer, chicken wings are my all time fave. Have to admire whoever thought of it. Imagine taking something that is inedible, no meat on it, has no real value, pouring a bunch of really crappy sauce on it and then then charging several times what the very best boneless chicken breast would cost?

Ain't nobody dumb enough to fall for that.

If you really like coffee? Roast your own.
Sweet Maria s Home Coffee Roasting

You'll be shocked at how much the flavor changes as your fresh roasted beans age.
After roasting you let the beans sit for at least two days.Over the course of a week the
beans change flavor dramatically.

If you really like coffee? Roast your own.
Sweet Maria s Home Coffee Roasting

You'll be shocked at how much the flavor changes as your fresh roasted beans age.
After roasting you let the beans sit for at least two days.Over the course of a week the
beans change flavor dramatically.

I had a friend down in Fla. who had a large burlap sack of blonde colored coffee beans given to her by a friend who flew them in from Tanzania. I believe it was Tanzania or it might have beeen Kenya. Anyhow she gave them to me told me they needed to be roasted and then you ground the beans and make the coffee. Back then I was not that involved in what a good cup of coffee was and so I think I gave the bag of beans away to someone. It was probably outstanding coffee although at the time I didn't realize what she was giving me. I will have to check out the website. I'll also have to see if Atlanta has the place Ernie is referring to - I'm sure they do.
Tanzania is famous for their pea berry coffee. It's considered excellent by most, though I find it has an unpleasant metallic taste.
The wife LOVES it.
Pea berry is an unusual coffee it grows just one bean to the fruit, unlike all other coffees and the bean is quite small average about 1/4" long. It's confined to specific areas so it is fairly rare so moderately expensive. 10 bucks for 12 oz at World Market.
Blue Mountain prices vary a lot by year and run $30 to $100/pound. Last November, I paid $50/pound. I'm seeing $44 to $50 on-line today.

If you are tempted to buy some $50/pound coffee, I recommend the Wallenford Estate grown.

thank you for the information, Ernie. I will give it to my husband as he does the shopping. I like great coffee - my husband is not as particular. There is a restaurant in Atlanta that makes fabulous coffee - it is an old southern diner and Hillary Clinton goes there when she is in town - everything is made from scratch - I bought their recipe book and the only thing that isn't in there is their coffee! They even have the recipe for their sweet tea in there! If I can remember the name of the place I'll let you know. In case you are ever in Atanta - actually there are two places ( I know of ) in Atlanta like that and they serve wonderful coffee.
I'm 95% of the time, underwhelmed by coffee I buy at restaurants. I understand that they are in business to turn a profit, but geeze! put some coffee in the basket! I like my coffee strong. If I can see the bottom of a white cup through my coffee, it's tea.

When it comes to fooling the gullible consumer, chicken wings are my all time fave. Have to admire whoever thought of it. Imagine taking something that is inedible, no meat on it, has no real value, pouring a bunch of really crappy sauce on it and then then charging several times what the very best boneless chicken breast would cost?

While you're right, chicken wings are pretty damned expensive for what you get, you have to admire the guy who started putting hot sauce on chicken wings. Wings, along with pizza are the perfect bar food. Cost is minimal and profit is huge, especially with pizza when you toss on 30 cents worth of pepperoni and up charge 2 bucks.
Wings bring in another marketing plus as well, at least for guys. That is the competition for who is the manliest man and can eat the hottest wings.

We have a relationship with a local pizza place. We have their menus at the bar and they deliver to our place for free. They do likely $400 per week out of Doc's.
Last night, Jack, the owner, brought in a warmer and we will begin test marketing his pizza by the slice next week end. I'm thinking we should add wings. Thanks, Luddley.

This is the front of our partner/pizza shop. The artwork was done by the drummer in a band that plays at Doc's from time to time.

bmt0BbmAI70xUI-640m.jpg

While you're right, chicken wings are pretty damned expensive for what you get, you have to admire the guy who started putting hot sauce on chicken wings. Wings, along with pizza are the perfect bar food. Cost is minimal and profit is huge, especially with pizza when you toss on 30 cents worth of pepperoni and up charge 2 bucks.
Wings bring in another marketing plus as well, at least for guys. That is the competition for who is the manliest man and can eat the hottest wings.

We have a relationship with a local pizza place. We have their menus at the bar and they deliver to our place for free. They do likely $400 per week out of Doc's.
Last night, Jack, the owner, brought in a warmer and we will begin test marketing his pizza by the slice next week end. I'm thinking we should add wings. Thanks, Luddley.

This is the front of our partner/pizza shop. The artwork was done by the drummer in a band that plays at Doc's from time to time.

bmt0BbmAI70xUI-640m.jpg

As I wrote in my post:
Have to admire whoever thought of it.

But I also wrote:

I stand corrected. :rolleyes-41:

Forum List

Back