Pandie!

*Points to my Avatar.*

I saw this earlier today, wish the Panda could stay. :eek:

"
But now it's time to say goodbye. Now it's time for him to be just a young male panda cub whose time it is to go to the Beifengxia base in Sichuan to join the main breeding program to serve in his role so that we can have a self-sustaining panda population in the future," said Stevens.

In other words, Tai Shan is heading to China to make baby pandas.

"He will have many girlfriends," Wang Baodong, a spokesman for the Chinese embassy in Washington, assured AFP.

Tai Shan's new home will be "one of 62 nature reserves in Sichuan province for pandas," said Wang.

Monfort said Tai Shan would likely be "a great addition to China's breeding program," which is close to reaching the milestone number of 300 pandas in captivity.

"Once you have 300 cubs, it's considered that you have a demographically and genetically stable reservoir population to be able to one day reintroduce cubs into the wild," explained Monfort.

"We hope that one day you'll see the genes passed from Tai Shan in pandas that are once again free-roaming in China," he said.

I know, I know.

But still, he will be missed. :(

Make sure he takes lesons from Tiger Woods before he goes. Might as well get a lot of pandas out of this.

Forum List

Back