Pan American Drug Trade

Huckleburry

Nov 22, 2004
North Carolina
Last week the economist published a report on the state of the Pan American drug war. http://www.economist.com/World/la/displayStory.cfm?story_id=3651694

The article reported more of the same. While are ability to disrupt the production of drugs continues to increase the average street price (a measure of supply) remains stable or decreases with the quantity demanded remaining constant. Thus is would seem that we continue to win the battle and loose the war. One disturbing trend is the increased use of Bolivia as transport hub indicating that the drug war continues to spread.

The United States should end the ineffective war on drugs by decimalizing them. Moral arguments aside, this policy would serve the national interest in several ways. First, the war on drugs decreases the stability of the region by providing financial support to paramilitary and terrorist organizations. The most notorious of which is FARC. A violent Colombian Para military group that receives its funding almost exclusively through their control of the Cocaine trade. If the US decriminalized drug use then drug production would enter the formal economy. Competition would increase profit margins would be squeezed and the drug trade would cease to be a source of funding for Terrorist and Para military groups. Eliminating their funding would decrease their power and increase regional stability.
Regional stability would allow the United States and Latin America to form an economic block potent enough to oppose the growing threat from the Asian and European economic blocks. Forming a pan American block would allow the United States to defend her economic interests abroad because the size of her markets would make the cost of non-negotiation very high. This is to say that the enormous size of the Pan American market would increase the negotiating power of the US because few nations would be willing to risk having those markets closed.
Lastly decriminalizing drugs would do much to eliminate violent crime and corruption through out the Americas. A nasty byproduct of the war on drugs is drug related violent crime and corruption. Take for example the case of Mexico. The drug war there leads to rampant corruption and violent crime as syndicate’s war over market share.
The United States needs a stable America. We need an honest America. We need an America with which we can oppose the rest of the world. With this end in mind it is time we end a war that is opposed to our national interest.

Yea lots of them and sad as it may be they chose to do those drugs. Notice I said moral arguments aside and posted this thread in the economics forum not the religion/ethics forum.

Huckleburry said:
Notice I said moral arguments aside and posted this thread in the economics forum not the religion/ethics forum.

Yes I did notice, and that makes no sense. Notice how your arguments rarely have a valid moral base?

That is because I am more interested in economics than ethics. If I wanted to post on ethics I would go to the religion/ethics part of the board. I do not do so because I find such subjects to be borning and useless. If we left all of the emotional religious hodgepodge out of politics we might start seeing legislation that makes sense. Most of my arguments check "morality" at the door because they are economic arguments and they should be evaluated on economic merit rather than ethical merit. I think that the majority of morals are extensions of religous doctrine. If this view is adopted then we must be quick to ask our selves "what place does religion have in a disscussion of econmics?" I say none. You can agree or dissagree with my argument on the pan american drug war. If you want to debate though then lets stick to the economics and leave morality to the minons.
Huck

Huckleburry said:
I think that the majority of morals are extensions of religous doctrine. If this view is adopted then we must be quick to ask our selves "what place does religion have in a disscussion of econmics?" I say none.

Nonesense, pure tripe.

You can agree or dissagree with my argument on the pan american drug war. If you want to debate though then lets stick to the economics and leave morality to the minons.
Huck

Profit derived from addicts.......sorry, that's low.

Still on topic, but as an aside, which S.American rep had a proposal on legalizing cocaine, and was uninvited from one of the G summits (I forget which summit)?

Huckleburry said:
There have been several. There is the united council of Coca growers. Mostly it is peru and Bolivia that are all pushing for legal reform.

It was the summit in Quebec city. I'll look it up later.

I agree we need to legalize drugs (at least start with marijuana).You can not fight a war on drugs if you do not control your borders.

1.Drug crimes constitute most of the cases in the criminal justice system.
2.Take drugs out of the hands of gangs and organized crime.
3.by regulation you increase the quality (safety) of the drugs.
4.by taxation you increase revenue to pay for drug rehab and increased health-care costs.
5.you save lives in other countries by removing the source of income from drug cartels and violent political groups.
6.you return peoples individual rights and reduce the size,scope,and power of the federal government.
7.money now being wasted in the drug war could be used in education,defense,and lower taxes which would spur the economy

remember that alcohol was once illegal and we saw what happened.more crime,more people died or went blind from illegal alcohol and it did nothing to stop consumption.

cptpwichita said:
I agree we need to legalize drugs (at least start with marijuana).You can not fight a war on drugs if you do not control your borders.

1.Drug crimes constitute most of the cases in the criminal justice system.
2.Take drugs out of the hands of gangs and organized crime.
3.by regulation you increase the quality (safety) of the drugs.
4.by taxation you increase revenue to pay for drug rehab and increased health-care costs.
5.you save lives in other countries by removing the source of income from drug cartels and violent political groups.
6.you return peoples individual rights and reduce the size,scope,and power of the federal government.
7.money now being wasted in the drug war could be used in education,defense,and lower taxes which would spur the economy

remember that alcohol was once illegal and we saw what happened.more crime,more people died or went blind from illegal alcohol and it did nothing to stop consumption.

Is all the above in reference to weed?

Why do we continue to give up personal freedom and empower the government by trying to legislate morality?

Forum List

Back