Palin VP brings Roe v. Wade front and center

Roe v. Wade should be repealed because no where in the Constitution does it give the federal government discretion over abortion. The issue should be left to the states.

Yeah!!! I didn't see your post until I had posted mine.

I was wondering, how would a procedure like that be? Like the State assemblies would vote on it, or referendums... I've always kind of been curious about what "letting the states decide" mean (besides the obvious). Does every state have to make a decision? Can there be a mandate so that States make a decision on it and move on within some sort of time frame? And what if on some states they just don't rule for or against it?

Roe v. Wade should be repealed because no where in the Constitution does it give the federal government discretion over abortion. The issue should be left to the states.

I'm pro-choice but agree with Kennedy. Pro-choice states like Flordia should be able to profit off of pregger women in Alabama and Georgia wanting an abortion. Imagine the tourism campaign:

Come for the abortion, stay for the sun.

Amen.

Even my liberal Con Law prof could see that. He talked about "agreeing with the result of a decision while disapproving of the method."

Yeah!!! I didn't see your post until I had posted mine.

I was wondering, how would a procedure like that be? Like the State assemblies would vote on it, or referendums... I've always kind of been curious about what "letting the states decide" mean (besides the obvious). Does every state have to make a decision? Can there be a mandate so that States make a decision on it and move on within some sort of time frame? And what if on some states they just don't rule for or against it?

Each state legislature would vote on the issue. You would have some states for, and some states against.

States do still have laws that determine that nature of abortion. Illinois law says it is a felony to do a partial birth where the fetus is born alive and not assist it. As it is a baby and has rights. Some allow for the death. Some even have time limits. You need to look up the individual state laws.

States do still have laws that determine that nature of abortion. Illinois law says it is a felony to do a partial birth where the fetus is born alive and not assist it. As it is a baby and has rights. Some allow for the death. Some even have time limits. You need to look up the individual state laws.

Regardless, the Constitution does not give the federal government the right to decide on this issue. Therefore, it should be left to the discretion of the individual states whether they want to legalize abortion.

I'm for letting the women decide personally. Even if it's a State government it's still a government dictating what I can and can not do with my body.

Men should have a say when men stop fathering multiple children with multiple women and then walking away from them all.

It is very easy for a man to say "have my baby" because their part in the pregnancy is over in 15 minutes (on a good night). They don't have to carry the baby, change the way they eat, change the way they sleep, exercise, and basically live their lives for nine months. and in almost 100% of cases they aren't the primary care giver of that child, responsible for midnight feedings, diaper changes, colds, broken bones, and all the other things that go along with being a parent.

The man doesn't stretch out his body to a degree that it never really returns to form again, he doesn't have to endure hours of excrutiating pain and labor in order to push something the size of a watermelon out a hole the size of a grapefruit either.

and to the person who thinks women decide on abortion "willy nilly" you couldn't trivialize probably the most difficult and heartwrenching decision anymore if you tried.

Abortions were happening before Roe v Wade and the truth is they will continue if it is overturned, what makes Roe v Wade important is that abortion is no longer a gamble of survival for poor women who had to get back alley butchers instead of being able to afford to pay for a licensed doctor who performed them on the side and in secret.

Roe v Wade is safe. It will not be overturned no matter who gets elected. It is not about abortion it is a law about privacy.

you know it's one vote away from being overturned, right? and the next president will have between 2 and 4 supreme court appointments.

Don't be complacent....and don't make the mistake of thinking mccain's "just kidding" when he says he'll appoint justices who will take away the right to reproductive choice.

It is very easy for a man to say "have my baby" because their part in the pregnancy is over in 15 minutes (on a good night). They don't have to carry the baby, change the way they eat, change the way they sleep, exercise, and basically live their lives for nine months. and in almost 100% of cases they aren't the primary care giver of that child, responsible for midnight feedings, diaper changes, colds, broken bones, and all the other things that go along with being a parent.

The man doesn't stretch out his body to a degree that it never really returns to form again, he doesn't have to endure hours of excrutiating pain and labor in order to push something the size of a watermelon out a hole the size of a grapefruit either.

and to the person who thinks women decide on abortion "willy nilly" you couldn't trivialize probably the most difficult and heartwrenching decision anymore if you tried.

Abortions were happening before Roe v Wade and the truth is they will continue if it is overturned, what makes Roe v Wade important is that abortion is no longer a gamble of survival for poor women who had to get back alley butchers instead of being able to afford to pay for a licensed doctor who performed them on the side and in secret.

You have the problem of generalizing all men as pigs who don't take responsibility. If I were to get a woman pregnant, I have just as much right to the life inside her as she does. And I swear before the Lord himself that if a woman ever aborted a child of mine and I found out about it, I'd be all over that bitch like white on rice. I'd hire every lawyer I could find to sue the shit out of her. If she doesn't want the child, so be it. I'll take it and raise it on my own. I would have no problem doing such.

It's not my fault that women are the ones who carry our children. I didn't make it so. But that doesn't mean men don't have a right, either.

Palin is not opposed to abortion. She's opposed to abortion as a means for birth control, which is my sentiment exactly. People need to take responsibility for their actions. If you have sex without preventive measures, it's at your own risk. Birth control comes in plenty of free forms that don't involve killing a human being. Use those.

Regardless, the Constitution does not give the federal government the right to decide on this issue. Therefore, it should be left to the discretion of the individual states whether they want to legalize abortion.

There really is no law about abortion. The law produced by Roe v Wade (Texas) and Doe v Bolton (Georgia).

The law addresses the 9th and 14th amendment and addresses privacy and says little or nothing about abortion and viability of the fetus.

ROE v. WADE
ROE v. WADE
Decided January 22, 1973
MR. JUSTICE BLACKMUN delivered the opinion of the Court.
MR. JUSTICE REHNQUIST, dissenting.
MR. JUSTICE STEWART, concurring.

Roe v. Wade

A childless married couple (the Does), the wife not being pregnant, separately attacked the laws, basing alleged injury on the future possibilities of contraceptive failure, pregnancy, unpreparedness for parenthood, and impairment of the wife's health. A three-judge District Court, which consolidated the actions, held that Roe and Hallford, and members of their classes, had standing to sue and presented justiciable controversies. Ruling that declaratory, though not injunctive, relief was warranted, the court declared the abortion statutes void as vague and overbroadly infringing those plaintiffs' Ninth and Fourteenth Amendment rights.

Doe v. Bolton

Doe v. Bolton (No. 70-40)

1. Doe's case presents a live, justiciable controversy and she has standing to sue, Roe v. Wade, ante p. 113, as do the physician [p180] appellants (who, unlike the physician in Wade, were not charged with abortion violations), and it is therefore unnecessary to resolve the issue of the other appellants' standing. Pp. 187-189.

2. A woman's constitutional right to an abortion is not absolute. Roe v. Wade, supra. P. 189.

3. The requirement that a physician's decision to perform an abortion must rest upon "his best clinical judgment" of its necessity is not unconstitutionally vague, since that judgment may be made in the light of all the attendant circumstances. United States v. Vuitch, 402 U.S. 62, 71-72. Pp. 191-192.

The laws reguarding abortion should not exist. it should be a private decision between a woman and her doctor. The law should in no way interfer. The government does not get in the way if you have a tooth pulled why doesi t get involved over abortion.

This law is safe on the books. The right to privacy that you have in your doctors office stem from Roe v Wade.

Office for Civil Rights - HIPAA
Medical Privacy - National Standards to Protect the Privacy of Personal Health Information
HHS - Office for Civil Rights - HIPAA

Last edited:

Forum List

Back