Palin to tea partiers: "You’re going to have to choose between the parties"

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Hot Air Blog Archive Palin to tea partiers: You’re going to have to choose between the parties

It’s in her interest to say this, of course, if she wants any shot at the GOP nomination, and it’s bound to irritate tea-party indies who bristle at her attempts to “hijack” the movement for Republicans.

But if, like me, you’re first and foremost interested in knocking the Democrats out of power, this is pure gold.

Asked what her advice would be to conservatives as the November elections approach, Palin first lavished praise on the Tea Party movement, calling it “a grand movement” and adding, “I love it because it’s all about the people.”

But she quickly pivoted to the broader question of whether the Tea Party movement might successfully field its own candidates in national elections, and on that point she sounded far from convinced.

“Now the smart thing will be for independents who are such a part of this Tea Party movement to, I guess, kind of start picking a party,” Palin said. “Which party reflects how that smaller, smarter government steps to be taken? Which party will best fit you? And then because the Tea Party movement is not a party, and we have a two-party system, they’re going to have to pick a party and run one or the other: ‘R’ or ‘D’.”

The Neocons are squirming in their seat and trying to bargain with the Tea Parties after this:

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - CNN Poll: Who are the Tea Party activists - Blogs from CNN.com

"If the Tea Party runs its own candidates for U.S. House, virtually every vote the Tea Party candidate gets would be siphoned from the GOP candidate, potentially allowing the Democrats to win in districts that they might have otherwise lost," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "While the concept of an independent third party is extremely popular, most Americans, including most Tea Party supporters, don't favor a third party that would result in a winner who disagrees with them on most major issues."

According to the survey, most Tea Party activists describe themselves as Independents.

"But that's slightly misleading, because 87 percent say they would vote for the GOP candidate in their congressional district if there were no third-party candidate endorsed by the Tea Party," says Holland

Independents my ass.

Oh, the amount of comedy gold from this is too good. :lol:

Most independents are merely embaressed republicans.

I'd say it's more like disenfranchised Republicans. Many Republicans will admit they don't like the direction their party has moved in, and welcome the Tea Party Movement if it can help change that course. It remains to be seen if that's a real possibility.

I'd say it's more like disenfranchised Republicans. Many Republicans will admit they don't like the direction their party has moved in, and welcome the Tea Party Movement if it can help change that course. It remains to be seen if that's a real possibility.

I relish my place as a disenfranchised former GOPer. Instead of one, I got two big government tax and spend bands of organised thieves that I can cuss. Partisans only get to cuss one.

Yep pretty much a different way to say the same thing. Without being quite as critical as I was.

I've never voted Republican in my life. I voted for Kerry, and I voted in our Democratic governor in Arkansas. I didn't vote for McCain (or Obama). I supported Hillary for President, and I supported Gore in 2000 (but was a year too young to vote).

And at this point, I find myself attached to more moderate Republicans than moderate Democrats.

I've never voted Republican in my life. I voted for Kerry, and I voted in our Democratic governor in Arkansas. I didn't vote for McCain (or Obama). I supported Hillary for President, and I supported Gore in 2000 (but was a year too young to vote).

And at this point, I find myself attached to more moderate Republicans than moderate Democrats.

I am close to that point, but lean pretty far in one direction or another on a few issues.
Depends on the issue. I am the decider :D

I am currently registered as a Republican. Independent is a party here. Wish we had unafiliated.

Last edited:
So, let's recall what the other Sarah Palin said, in July of last year:

"I will go around the country on behalf of candidates who believe in the right things, regardless of their party label or affiliation."

I wonder how many independent suckers gave her PAC money thinking that was what they were getting?

"And then because the Tea Party movement is not a party, and we have a two-party system, they’re going to have to pick a party and run one or the other: ‘R’ or ‘D’.”

...I'm Dede Scozzafava, and I approved this message.

:lol:

I guess Sarah Palin is not really a conservative either?

She's racing to get herself back in good graces with the GOP establishment. I admit that surprises me; I had concluded she'd given up aspirations for a 2012 run, based on the direction she'd been taking for the last few months. Then again she may lurch off in another direction next week.

She's racing to get herself back in good graces with the GOP establishment. I admit that surprises me; I had concluded she'd given up aspirations for a 2012 run, based on the direction she'd been taking for the last few months. Then again she may lurch off in another direction next week.

this is the more predictable path I had figured for her.
Perhaps she is getting some better handlers?

Sometimes she talks like a conservative, however I suspect she's just a McCain-like big government progressive in conservative clothing. Unlike the rabid left I have nothing against her, she seems like a decent person but then again I wouldn't vote for her if she ran for national office, she has no credentials to prove her convictions and lacks the experience one expects from someone at the national level.

Sometimes she talks like a conservative, however I suspect she's just a McCain-like big government progressive in conservative clothing. Unlike the rabid left I have nothing against her, she seems like a decent person but then again I wouldn't vote for her if she ran for national office, she has no credentials to prove her convictions and lacks the experience one expects from someone at the national level.

Ohh I like her as a person I would think. But unqualified to be president.
And she is such a darn good source of entertainment. Well her and her followers.

Forum List

Back