Palin thinks $215,000 a year is "working class"

Lets say a salary was 100k

If I went hourly they cut it to 70k

thats $34 an hour (rounding off)

If I worked the same amount of hours I work now which is ALWAY 60-80 a week. Lets call it 70

Overtime= time and a half which equals another $51 per hour

51 x 30= an additional $1,530 weekly

1,530 x 52= $79,560
plus the original 70,000
$149,560

Yeah I'll take over time.

Why do you think city workers even though their salary might be low, most do EXTREMELY well cause they a;; beg for overtime hours.

Now, if you work a simple 9-5 and don't want any responsibility past that because it's the philisophy of they ain't payin me after 5 I don't need to work then hourly is great.

But please don't say that you ahve to be an hourly person to be a working class citizien.

That is a crock of shit. Besides they are are plenty of salary people that make 50k

Last edited:
215K per year is not that much if you are a small business owner with employees etc. Buy the time to pay out your overhead and then pay yourself, you are back down in the world with the rest of us. I know this because I work for a guy along with three other employees. Great guy, and even though the business cleared about half a mil, he aint rich a'tall.

You're right Peg.

Like I said in my last post.

I make 100k,

My wife stays home and cares for our 2 kids.

Live in Miami, Pay a mortgage, 2 cars, bills, invest for retirement, homeowners insurance, life insurance, car insurance, utilities, food, tuition, and tell me 100k is living the good life.

Someone brought up they make 40k and said anyone who makes 6 digits isn't working class. You are clueless. Like I said before just like Michelle Obama, i too graduatedfrom College, only difference is I am still paying for it through my school loans.

215K per year is not that much if you are a small business owner with employees etc. Buy the time to pay out your overhead and then pay yourself, you are back down in the world with the rest of us. I know this because I work for a guy along with three other employees. Great guy, and even though the business cleared about half a mil, he aint rich a'tall.

I don't think she's talking about gross earnings for a small business. And, no, $215,000 isn't a lot if that were the case. I believe we're talking about personal income.

Small business owners aren't working class by the traditional definition.

The spin here is hysterical.

Small business owners are just all rich americans then that don't work and go on cruises around the world.

A brain surgeon whose income comes from his labors is, AFAIC, a worker no less than somebody swabbing the floors of a public bathroom.

If their incomes depend on them showing up and doing something for pay?

They're workers.

If one's income comes from returns on investments?

they're CAPITALISTS.

Small businessmen become capitalist the day they turn their keys over to managment and live off the labor of others who are now WORKING their capital (business) for them.

The lines obviously gets blurred, folks.

Plenty of multibillionaires work their asses off every day, too, let's face it.

Small business owners are just all rich americans then that don't work and go on cruises around the world.

they are working class, they probably work harder than most people and secondarily they provide jobs.. very important sub-sect of working class.

well then....Obama is working class too... McCain is not...thanks for the clarification Willow...it's most helpful.. :clap2:

that works for me. McCain would not have to work another day in his life if he didn't choose to. Obama probably still has to work.

A combined income of $215,000 a year is NOT working class. They're in the top 5% of Americans as far as income.

And can someone please tell her that savings accounts aren't affected by the stock market???

Would not anyone that works be considered working class? It has nothing to do with income. Someone that is so wealthy that they travel and just live off the money that they have is not working class. Someone who collects welfare and chooses not to work is also not included in the working class.

If you work on the North Slope you make 6 figures...AND work your ass off. You have no clue how many ways there are to die out there. So who the @#$% cares if they make $215k.

:eusa_boohoo::eusa_boohoo::eusa_boohoo:

Even if you could use that for a argument, guess what?

THEY COULD MOVE!

:cuckoo:

Would not anyone that works be considered working class? It has nothing to do with income. Someone that is so wealthy that they travel and just live off the money that they have is not working class. Someone who collects welfare and chooses not to work is also not included in the working class.

is that your spin? words have actual meaning... you don't get to change them because you wake up one day and feel like:

working class
n. The socioeconomic class consisting of people who work for wages, especially low wages, including unskilled and semiskilled laborers and their families.

In the United States, the population of blue-collar workers, particularly skilled and semiskilled laborers, who differ in values, but not necessarily in income, from the middle class. In Marxism, this term refers to propertyless factory workers.

working class: Definition from Answers.com

Joe Biden barely makes more money then her then. Perhaps that's why she won't release her tax returns until the day AFTER the debate.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Biden tax returns revealed - Blogs from CNN.com

At least half the nation’s senators are millionaires. But Biden and his wife Jill earned a relatively small $320,000 in 2006, paying about $66,000 in taxes. Over the last 10 years Biden and his wife earned just shy of $2.5 million — an average income of roughly $245,000 per year.

A McCain aide told CNN Friday the campaign would release Palin's documents, but on their "own timeframe."

The Bidens' returns do not specify the various sources of the income, but the Delaware Democrat earns $165,000 per year as a senator and draws roughly $20,000 annually from his visiting law professorship at Widener University. Jill Biden is a teacher in Delaware and draws a salary of about $66,000. The 2007 tax returns also indicate Biden earned $71,000 in royalties for his book "Promises to Keep."

Alaska Median Household Income: 1997
Alaska 43657
Anchorage 54245
Matanuska Susitna Borough 50273
Kenai Peninsula Borough 47189
Kodiak Island Borough 46673
Valdez-Cordova Census Area 50526
Source: US Dept of Commerce, Census Bureau

Nope: In 1997, it wasn't 215.000.00 I doubt if it has gone that high in 2008.

Obama is a Senator, not working class income.

McCain is worth 60,000,000 - Definately not working class

ok, so any guy in a shirt and tie busting his ass making 40-60k a year working 50 hours a week isn't working class

I am glad we got that figured out

Forum List

Back