Palin says media easier on Kennedy because of class.

That's your opinion, not a fact. And in my opinion, not only are you wrong, but your opinion on the matter is reflective of your racism.

I don't know the specifics behind Obama's time at Harvard, but affirmative action is racism. If skin color played any role in Obama being chosen, that in itself is racist, and unfair to Obama, honestly. African Americans, according to "Social Problems" written by Henslin, are against affirmative action.

I think in every election someone's demographics come into play. Sometimes it is religion making someone "marketable" or not marketable (e.g. mitt romney didn't have a chance b/c he wasn't saleable to the religious right); sometimes it is color; sometimes it is family name (bush, reagan, clinton, kennedy, cuomo) and sometimes it is sex (like palin wouldn't have been chosen to run with McCain if it weren't for their [misguided] desire to attract disenchanted hillary voters).

So saying that Obama wouldn't have risen as far as fast were he not black is both true and a non-sequitur.

I can also tell you that who is chosen to run for what seat, even locally, is done with at least an inquiry into demographics.
I pretty much agree with this. This election was the right election to be black. Next one might not be.

Mani used to be convinced that he couldn't win because he is black so it is a bit strange that he is now convinced someone's ethnic background is moot.

I pretty much agree with this. This election was the right election to be black. Next one might not be.

Mani used to be convinced that he couldn't win because he is black so it is a bit strange that he is now convinced someone's ethnic background is moot.

Interestingly though, it may have been the right election to be black because Bush left such a mess behind that people were able to let go of the issue of color.

Damned if I know. ;)

Interestingly though, it may have been the right election to be black because Bush left such a mess behind that people were able to let go of the issue of color.

Damned if I know. ;)

No one knows, but that is a good point.

Damned if I know. ;)
Yep, that too. Or people were just damn sick and tired of the white boys club screwing them over. :lol:

why would it be a bad thing if his being black was the one thing that put him over the top and allowed him to win the election?

I never said it would be a bad thing. I said it's an illogical conclusion based on every shred of available information.

Moot?

You really aren't paying attention here are you? The first part of your statement is correct, early on I didn't think he could win because of his ethnicity. I was wrong and I'm quite pleased about that. But I don't see anything strange with me now saying that he OVERCAME this obstacle and won despite being black. In fact, that's perfectly consistent.

Damned if I know. ;)

Could be. And that would be consistent with my position that Obama's ethnicity was an obstacle to overcome which Bush's incompetence made possible. It is certainly not consistent with the ridiculous position that Obama's ethnicity provided an advantage. I guess I'll have to cut Ravi some slack since she's obviously still bitter about Obama knocking out Hillary and she's not able to think straight.

It is certainly not consistent with the ridiculous position that Obama's ethnicity provided an advantage.
People like to be a part of history. The choice between the old established same-old (McCain) and a fresh history making change (Obama) was a big benefit to the Obama campaign. What made Obama fresh and history making was his age and his ethnic background and his outsider status. Palin's outsider status and age didn't help her or McCain. If he'd picked Condi Rice, I bet the race would have been closer. Or some other rational Republican female (if one exists). The Republicans have made people fed up with white men.

Could be. And that would be consistent with my position that Obama's ethnicity was an obstacle to overcome which Bush's incompetence made possible. It is certainly not consistent with the ridiculous position that Obama's ethnicity provided an advantage. I guess I'll have to cut Ravi some slack since she's obviously still bitter about Obama knocking out Hillary and she's not able to think straight.

His ethnicity did play some role in the primaries. He garnared 87 percent of the African American vote in the primaries.

People like to be a part of history. The choice between the old established same-old (McCain) and a fresh history making change (Obama) was a big benefit to the Obama campaign. What made Obama fresh and history making was his age and his ethnic background and his outsider status. Palin's outsider status and age didn't help her or McCain. If he'd picked Condi Rice, I bet the race would have been closer. Or some other rational Republican female (if one exists). The Republicans have made people fed up with white men.

How did Obama make history? shouldn't it be that America made history? I think it would have been difficult for McCain with a Bush admin member as a running mate. interesting though.

How did Obama make history? shouldn't it be that America made history? I think it would have been difficult for McCain with a Bush admin member as a running mate. interesting though.
Either way, if Obama made history or America made history (for America, anyway), it was history making.

This is a little bit different than your earlier claim that he wouldn't have won the presidency if he wasn't black... isn't it? :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back