Palin Hired Lobbyists To Bring In $27 Million

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
At any point now, I expect Ashton Kutcher to jump out and tell us this whole Palin thing is just John McCain doing a “Punk’d” on the entire country.

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin employed a lobbying firm to secure almost $27 million in federal earmarks for a town of 6,700 residents while she was its mayor, according to an analysis by an independent government watchdog.

Sarah Palin Hired Lobbyists To Bring In $27 Million In Federal Earmarks Oliver Willis

There are other sources for this information by the way. Just do a search for Palin $27 million in earmarks for town of 6700.

That's over $4000 per person!!!!

Maybe they needed a new sewer system. Or streets. Maybe they needed a clinic, dumbass.

Why don't you look into it?

Maybe they needed a new sewer system. Or streets. Maybe they needed a clinic, dumbass.

maybe you should find out what they were for before spouting insults about what you dont fully understand either.

heres what i was able to find about it.

But under her leadership, the state of Alaska has requested 31 earmarks worth $197.8 million in next year's federal budget, according to the website of Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), the former chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee.

Palin has recently been publicly critical of requests made in past years by Stevens and others for $223 million in federal funds for a bridge from Ketchikan, Alaska, to Gravina Island, calling it "the Bridge to Nowhere," a derogatory label critics attached to the project.

As a candidate for governor in 2006, she backed funding for the bridge. After her election, however, she killed the project, saying she would use the federal funds for other purposes.

As mayor of the small city of Wasilla, Alaska, Palin appears to have made use of the system she now decries, hiring a Washington lobbyist, Steven Silver, to represent the town. Years ago, Silver worked as an aide to Stevens.

After he was hired, the city obtained funding for several projects, including a city bus facility that received an earmark valued at $600,000 in 2002. That year a local water and sewer project received $1.5 million in federal earmarks, according to Taxpayers for Common Sense, a nonpartisan watchdog organization.

Palin relied on earmark system she now opposes - Los Angeles Times

I think you're kind of missing the point. I have no problem with going after federal money for city and state improvements. I have a problem with someone who is running on a platform who bashes others who do it knowing full well they were dipping their fingers in the coffers too.

Palin Received Millions In Earmarks, Clouding Reformer Image

From 2000 through 2002, Wasilla received more than $5.5 million in federal cash for transportation and social service projects.

According to the group Citizens Against Government Waste, the city received $1 million for a bus facility in 2000. In 2001, the Wasilla Health Center was granted a half million dollars for a community mental health center. That same year the city's emergency shelter also was granted $500,000 for a transitional living program for homeless youth. A year later, the Wasilla regional dispatch center received $1 million in pork, the city was granted $1.5 million for water and sewer improvements, and received an additional $600,000 for a bus facility.

The use of the earmark system that -- as a vice presidential candidate -- Palin now criticizes continued into her tenure as governor. As the Los Angeles Times reported, the state of Alaska requested 31 earmarks worth $197.8 million for next year's federal budget. And according to Citizens Against Government Waste, Alaska received $379,669,715 in pork during fiscal year 2008, nearly $100 million more than any other state.

Now personally I think all those programs are worthwhile and money well spent. But I'm a liberal who believes in government helping their citizens improve their lives. Are we sure Palin isn't a dem? I mean except for the NRA/pro life thing she seems like a liberal to me.

She vetoed an anti-gay bill, she built a mental health facility, she built a shelter for homeless teens? I'm cornfuzzled now... :eusa_eh:

Now personally I think all those programs are worthwhile and money well spent. But I'm a liberal who believes in government helping their citizens improve their lives.

why do they need the money from the federal govt? why cant the citizens in a town all chip in a little extra to pay for the improvements they desire?

I think you're kind of missing the point. I have no problem with going after federal money for city and state improvements. I have a problem with someone who is running on a platform who bashes others who do it knowing full well they were dipping their fingers in the coffers too.

From 2000 through 2002, Wasilla received more than $5.5 million in federal cash for transportation and social service projects.

According to the group Citizens Against Government Waste, the city received $1 million for a bus facility in 2000. In 2001, the Wasilla Health Center was granted a half million dollars for a community mental health center. That same year the city's emergency shelter also was granted $500,000 for a transitional living program for homeless youth. A year later, the Wasilla regional dispatch center received $1 million in pork, the city was granted $1.5 million for water and sewer improvements, and received an additional $600,000 for a bus facility.

The use of the earmark system that -- as a vice presidential candidate -- Palin now criticizes continued into her tenure as governor. As the Los Angeles Times reported, the state of Alaska requested 31 earmarks worth $197.8 million for next year's federal budget. And according to Citizens Against Government Waste, Alaska received $379,669,715 in pork during fiscal year 2008, nearly $100 million more than any other state.

Now personally I think all those programs are worthwhile and money well spent. But I'm a liberal who believes in government helping their citizens improve their lives. Are we sure Palin isn't a dem? I mean except for the NRA/pro life thing she seems like a liberal to me.

She vetoed an anti-gay bill, she built a mental health facility, she built a shelter for homeless teens? I'm cornfuzzled now... :eusa_eh:

More change! LOL, I love it!

She's a double agent---if Mcain wins she bumps him off and switches parties. You didn't now this ?

I have no problem with someone who legally obtains money for her people when it's available, while at the same time stating she will vote against earmarks. Why should she force her constituents to suffer when everybody else is raking in the benefits of a crappy and stupid system? Meanwhile, she can work to reform it.

When the earmarks end, so does the flow. Until then, it's there, she might as well grab it. Doesn't mean she has to vote for it.

And don't be confused, though dems are often confused when they are hit between the eyes of the reality of republicans, as opposed to their misconceptions.

We need mental health facilities. In the 70s and 80s they were all shut down and our mentally ill were turned out onto the streets...a huge mistake made by LIBERALS, and which resulted in a huge blossoming of homeless, mentally ill people wandering around...while funding essentially stopped for the mental institutions. Republicans have always voted for maintaining mental institutions and prisons. Now we have no place to put our mentally ill people. There aren't enough group homes, the hospitals themselves are not adequate, jail is an inappropriate place (though where many end up..and jails and prisons are also inadequate, given the influx of alien criminals taxing the system).

None of this is conflicting, except in the eyes of those who have preconceived (and incorrect) notions of what republicans and conservatives are about.

I have no problem with someone who legally obtains money for her people when it's available, while at the same time stating she will vote against earmarks. Why should she force her constituents to suffer when everybody else is raking in the benefits of a crappy and stupid system? Meanwhile, she can work to reform it.

When the earmarks end, so does the flow. Until then, it's there, she might as well grab it. Doesn't mean she has to vote for it.

And don't be confused, though dems are often confused when they are hit between the eyes of the reality of republicans, as opposed to their misconceptions.

We need mental health facilities. In the 70s and 80s they were all shut down and our mentally ill were turned out onto the streets...a huge mistake made by LIBERALS, and which resulted in a huge blossoming of homeless, mentally ill people wandering around...while funding essentially stopped for the mental institutions. Republicans have always voted for maintaining mental institutions and prisons. Now we have no place to put our mentally ill people. There aren't enough group homes, the hospitals themselves are not adequate, jail is an inappropriate place (though where many end up..and jails and prisons are also inadequate, given the influx of alien criminals taxing the system).

None of this is conflicting, except in the eyes of those who have preconceived (and incorrect) notions of what republicans and conservatives are about.

That bitch tried to get money for homeless kids and the mentally ill ???
String her up---I've heard enough.

You're all alone here Allie, you mental midget. The others have you and your party pegged. Your party made PORK an issue, as if they don't abuse pork and the Dems do. Turns out, they GOP abuses pork more.

McCain has been anti pork. Of course he has though. When Bush played dirty politics and stole the election from McCain in 2000, McCain spoke out against all the pork spending the GOP did, in hopes that he would look good in 2004 or 2008. He didn't do shit to stop all the pork spending, but he spoke out.

Sort of like how Hillary voted against giving telecom's immunity and the FISA bill. She did that so in 2012 she can show you how she is different. She knew that bill was going to pass without her.

And McCain wasn't sincere about reform or ending earmarks.

Also notice Bush veto's all Democratic earmarks but he NEVER veto'ed any GOP bills. Now that the Dems are in charge, he veto's everything.

We need to get the GOP out of power so we can stop playing games.

If you vote GOP, you clearly don't want to fix what is wrong. And lets face it, you all claim nothing is wrong. Am I right?

You're all alone here Allie, you mental midget. The others have you and your party pegged. Your party made PORK an issue, as if they don't abuse pork and the Dems do. Turns out, they GOP abuses pork more.

McCain has been anti pork. Of course he has though. When Bush played dirty politics and stole the election from McCain in 2000, McCain spoke out against all the pork spending the GOP did, in hopes that he would look good in 2004 or 2008. He didn't do shit to stop all the pork spending, but he spoke out.

Sort of like how Hillary voted against giving telecom's immunity and the FISA bill. She did that so in 2012 she can show you how she is different. She knew that bill was going to pass without her.

And McCain wasn't sincere about reform or ending earmarks.

Also notice Bush veto's all Democratic earmarks but he NEVER veto'ed any GOP bills. Now that the Dems are in charge, he veto's everything.

We need to get the GOP out of power so we can stop playing games.

If you vote GOP, you clearly don't want to fix what is wrong. And lets face it, you all claim nothing is wrong. Am I right?

Nothing will be wrong once we reclaim Congress...

Nothing will be wrong once we reclaim Congress...

We? Do you make over $250K a year? I hate it that the party for the rich convinced average, or in your case, below average Americans, that you belong to the GOP. HA!

Remember Bush's famous remarks to a white-tie crowd at the Waldorf-Astoria during his 2000 campaign. Referring to his audience as the "haves and have mores," he said that "some people call you the elite. I call you my base."

Bush gave the "base" some very big tax cuts in 2001 and 2003. They never generated enough revenue to pay for themselves. When higher collections helped lower the 2005 and 2006 deficits, the administration credited tax-cutting magic. Most economists disagreed, citing an upswing in the business cycle, bolstered by a housing bubble.

And contrary to conservative legend, the Bush tax "reforms" did not raise the overall income-tax burden of the very rich.
The administration cleverly claims that the share paid by the top 40 percent is higher than it was in 2000 — which is true. It neglects to add that families at the tiny pinnacle — the top tenth of 1 percent (who made at least $1.7 million in 2005) — have seen their tax burdens decline significantly. In 2005, this group of 300,000 men, women and children made nearly as much money as all 150 million Americans in the lower half.

So the high earners below this super-elite accounted for the entire heavier burden of the top 40 percent. These are the members of the upper middle class — the doctors, lawyers and businesspeople who have to work for their money.

That "base" represents the American dream, and the protection of the dream. YOu cannot penalize people for succeeding.

That "base" represents the American dream, and the protection of the dream. YOu cannot penalize people for succeeding.

Why not?

They overcharge us for legal services and medical care.

Why shouldn't we get some back.

Because if you penalize people for succeeding, you doom people to poverty and economic stagnation. The people you penalize are the very people you say you want to help. You stick them where they are forever.

We're overcharged because idiots like yourself insist on state-funded healthcare for all, and have made insurance a run-away industry. You want affordable health care? Make it competitive. Stop using our tax dollars to fund the births of the babies of illegal aliens. Stop using our tax dollars to fund abortions.......

Is any of this ringing a bell?

Oh, and stop suing doctors for refusing to perform elective procedures on the basis on their moral code, and stop bringing lawyers into every aspect of our lives. Stop legislating our private lives, stop trying to control every move we make, stop making new laws.

At any point now, I expect Ashton Kutcher to jump out and tell us this whole Palin thing is just John McCain doing a “Punk’d” on the entire country.

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin employed a lobbying firm to secure almost $27 million in federal earmarks for a town of 6,700 residents while she was its mayor, according to an analysis by an independent government watchdog.

Sarah Palin Hired Lobbyists To Bring In $27 Million In Federal Earmarks Oliver Willis

There are other sources for this information by the way. Just do a search for Palin $27 million in earmarks for town of 6700.

That's over $4000 per person!!!!

It seems the MSM is just starting to run some of these stories, and I see some of it being discussed during newscasts from the convention. Republicans seem to be in damage control mode because Palin is even canceling some public appearances.

Good grief. If they pull her out I'll be incredibly pissed off. The whole point of choosing a maverick is THAT SHE'S A MAVERICK. Let her fucking weather it out.

So sick of politicians who won't stand up and take the heat.

You guys really need to get me nominated. I wouldn't cancel any appearances, screw them.

New Topics

Forum List

Back