Palin Betrays Base on Immigration Policy

Valerie

Platinum Member
Sep 17, 2008
Palin Betrays Base On Immigration Amnesty
By Cernig Thursday Oct 23, 2008 6:30pm

With 12 days to go until the election, today was the wrong time for Sarah Palin to shoot herself in the foot and alienate her base. But that's what she has done, in style, on Univision.

Interviewer: To clarify, so you support a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants?

Palin: I do because I understand why people would want to be in America. To seek the safety and prosperity, the opportunities, the health that is here. It is so important that yes, people follow the rules so that people can be treated equally and fairly in this country.

Needless to say, the wingnuts, those few mentioning it so far, are not at all happy.

Palin Betrays Base On Immigration Amnesty | Crooks and Liars

The Corner
Thursday, October 23, 2008

Finally, Someone Asked Her [Mark Krikorian]

The Corner on National Review Online

We now know what Gov. Palin thinks about immigration, and the results are not good (h/t Auster):

Amnesty

Governor, let me ask you about immigration. How many undocumented immigrants are there in Alaska?
I don't know, I don't know. That's a good question. [MK: She'd have some idea if she'd read my Washington Times piece.]

As governor, how do you deal with them? Do you think they all should be deported?
There is no way that in the US we would roundup every illegal immigrant -there are about 12 million of the illegal immigrants- not only economically is that just an impossibility but that's not a humane way anyway to deal with the issue that we face with illegal immigration. [MK: Same old false choice of mass roundups or amnesty.]

Do you then favor an amnesty for the 12 or 13 million undocumented immigrants?
No, I do not. I do not. Not total amnesty. [MK: "total amnesty"! At least she admits McCain's plan is a "partial" amnesty!] You know, people have got to follow the rules. They've got to follow the bar, and we have got to make sure that there is equal opportunity and those who are here legally should be first in line for services being provided [MK: "services" like Medicaid and food stamps and TANF?] and those opportunities that this great country provides.

To clarify, so you support a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants?
I do because I understand why people would want to be in America. To seek the safety and prosperity, the opportunities, the health that is here. It is so important that yes, people follow the rules so that people can be treated equally and fairly in this country. [MK: None of these sentences follow from one another.]

The Corner on National Review Online

Interviewer: To clarify, so you support a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants?

Palin: I do because I understand why people would want to be in America. To seek the safety and prosperity, the opportunities, the health that is here. It is so important that yes, people follow the rules so that people can be treated equally and fairly in this country.

Whoa, let the wingnut outrage begin!

Valerie, they've belatedly realized they need to win back the hispanic vote. They've alienated every other group in america, besides angry white christian males. African americans, latinos, jewish americans and muslim americans are overwhelmingly against the Party of White People. Hannity must have run about a billion shows fear mongering against hispanics. Why did he stop? You know its because they realized too late, that their xenophobic rhetoric was alienating everyone who wasn't a white christian male.

That's pretty funny, she was obviously pandering to Univision's audience. I'm not sure if Univision has endorsed a particular candidate, but from what I understand of people that work for them, the network is pro-Obama. That's pretty huge...they are traditionally for the GOP.

Whoa, let the wingnut outrage begin!

Valerie, they've belatedly realized they need to win back the hispanic vote. They've alienated every other group in america, besides angry white christian males. African americans, latinos, jewish americans and muslim americans are overwhelmingly against the Party of White People. Hannity must have run about a billion shows fear mongering against hispanics. Why did he stop? You know its because they realized too late, that their xenophobic rhetoric was alienating everyone who wasn't a white christian male.

Did you see they said the interview was for Univision?

Maybe she didn't know it was going to leak out! :tongue:

That's pretty funny, she was obviously pandering to Univision's audience. I'm not sure if Univision has endorsed a particular candidate, but from what I understand of people that work for them, the network is pro-Obama. That's pretty huge...they are traditionally for the GOP.

:clap2:

How DARE a woman not follow the rules set for her by the party of white men? So make up your minds ? Is just jsut some dumb hottie or a woman with courage enough to speak her own mind ?

So people should follow the rules, unless they don’t, in which case they will become citizens…but it’s not amnesty! That’s probably as concise a summary of McCain’s dishonest position on immigration as anyone could manage, so give Palin some credit for that. I have given up trying to understand what Palinites see in their favorite candidate. If this does not drive home how malleable and unacquainted with the relevant policy options she is, I’m not sure what would.

Eunomia Palin Works For McCain

How DARE a woman not follow the rules set for her by the party of white men? So make up your minds ? Is just jsut some dumb hottie or a woman with courage enough to speak her own mind ?

"Courage" to speak her own mind?

WTF, do you have a shrine to Sarah Palin in your house that you worship at every night?

This was a pander. You said so yourself. Pandering is not "courage".

First, I don't like the two choices you game me - I don't think she's hot, and I think what she is is a cynical, law breaking, unqualified stooge that McCain propped up in a stupid and cynical attempt to pander to women voters.

I could have told McCain that it wouldn't work. I know women aren't that dumb. And I would have given McCain my advice for free. McCain probably paid some GOP political consultants big bucks to tell him Palin was a great choice to pander for women votes.

Your probably right---women can't have courage to speak their own minds--especially the really hot Republican ones.

youre giving me a laugh with how you are trying to take a criticism of this one particular woman and turn it into widespread sexist attitude held by dems against all women with republican leanings

Your probably right---women can't have courage to speak their own minds--especially the really hot Republican ones.
You don't like women much, do you dillo? Her missteps and hypocritical bullshit have nothing to do with her gender.

I doubt even the viewers of Univision are taken in.

youre giving me a laugh with how you are trying to take a criticism of this one particular woman and turn it into widespread sexist attitude held by dems against all women with republican leanings

Glad you're getting a chuckle---which hot conservative woman do dems like ?

You don't like women much, do you dillo? Her missteps and hypocritical bullshit have nothing to do with her gender.

I doubt even the viewers of Univision are taken in.

Bingo.

People, including women, don't support her because she's totally unqualified to be a potential president.

And as far as I know, the only ones who were swooning over her "winking" at the TV camera during a somber vice presidential debate, were dateless and starstruck con men.

Forum List

Back