Palestinians test tactic of unarmed mass marches

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
RAMALLAH, West Bank – Palestinian activists are calling it a preview of new tactics to pressure Israel and win world support for statehood: Masses of marchers, galvanized by the Arab Spring and brought together by Facebook, descending on borders and military posts — and daring Israeli soldiers to shoot.

It could prove more problematic for Israel than the suicide bombings and other deadly violence of the past — which the current Palestinian Authority leadership feels only tainted their cause.

After attempted border breaches from Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Gaza left 15 Palestinians dead Sunday, Israeli officials openly puzzled over how to handle an unfamiliar new phase.

"The Palestinians' transition from terrorism and suicide bombings to deliberately unarmed mass demonstrations is a transition that will present us with difficult challenges," said Defense Minister Ehud Barak.

"There is a new energy, a new dynamism," said Hanan Ashrawi, a former Palestinian negotiator. "The Palestinians feel they have put themselves on the map again."

Sunday's marches occurred on the day Palestinians mourn Israel's 1948 creation, when hundreds of thousands of their people were uprooted and scattered throughout the region.

Marking the anniversary, called the "nakba," Arabic for "catastrophe," Palestinian organizers bused hundreds to Lebanon's border with Israel and to the Syrian frontier in the Israeli-held Golan Heights. Surprised and overwhelmed, Israeli troops fired to keep the crowds from breaching the borders. Four Palestinians were killed in the Golan and 10 in Lebanon, while a 15th was fatally shot as dozens rushed Israel's border wall with the Gaza Strip.

Ex-general Yossi Peled, who commanded Israeli troops on the Lebanese and Syrian borders, said border breaches will likely be attempted again and must be stopped at any cost — regardless of the political fallout — because they pose a direct challenge to Israel's sovereignty.

"Yesterday's promo leaves us little time to draw the conclusions and come up with a new method of warfare where Israel will confront unarmed civilians, children and women," he said.

Palestinians test tactic of unarmed mass marches - Yahoo! News

"Yesterday's promo leaves us little time to draw the conclusions and come up with a new method of warfare where Israel will confront unarmed civilians, children and women," he said.
Arab men hiding behind women and children is nothing new.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with no violent protest and frankly have been waiting on something like this for what seems like decades....but alas, its not new at all, its new for them.

And it will not last, the hardliners will never ever take a back seat to this, not for long.

They will crush and kill, any moderating influences in their midst, like clockwork and this will die on the vine sadly.

Palestinian activists are calling it a preview of new tactics to pressure Israel and win world support for statehood: Masses of marchers, galvanized by the Arab Spring and brought together by Facebook, descending on borders and military posts — and daring Israeli soldiers to shoot.
And if finding a joo home on the way - murdering its inhabitants, of course. But I digress. Masses of marchers, descending on borders and military posts and daring Israeli soldiers to shoot may invite a meeting with mass-response contraptions that those Masses of dumbass misfits won't like at all, que arab "international law" babble.

Palestinian activists are calling it a preview of new tactics to pressure Israel and win world support for statehood: Masses of marchers, galvanized by the Arab Spring and brought together by Facebook, descending on borders and military posts — and daring Israeli soldiers to shoot.
And if finding a joo home on the way - murdering its inhabitants, of course. But I digress. Masses of marchers, descending on borders and military posts and daring Israeli soldiers to shoot may invite a meeting with mass-response contraptions that those Masses of dumbass misfits won't like at all, que arab "international law" babble.

What's a "Joo"?

You would think after years of dicking around with Israel,which has never worked out remotely in the Palestinians favor,they would just sit down and start really talking.

If one person blows up,it will foil this tactic ,let alone Israel will never let a mass group of people to cross their boarders without a forceful challenge.The Palestinians have detonated 1 to many suicide bombs for any trust that would allow a demonstration to cross the boarder.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with no violent protest and frankly have been waiting on something like this for what seems like decades....but alas, its not new at all, its new for them.

And it will not last, the hardliners will never ever take a back seat to this, not for long.

They will crush and kill, any moderating influences in their midst, like clockwork and this will die on the vine sadly.

Not so. The Palestinians have been doing non violent protests for years. They are approved by and participated in by all factions.

BTW, who would you call hardliners?

Here is a good take on it, I think.

Israel and Palestine: Here comes your non-violent resistance | The Economist

In any case, if you're among those who have made the argument that Israelis would give Palestinians a state if only the Palestinians would learn to employ Ghandhian tactics of non-violent protest, it appears your moment of truth has arrived. As my colleague writes, what happened on Nakba Day was Israel's "nightmare scenario: masses of Palestinians marching, unarmed, towards the borders of the Jewish state, demanding the redress of their decades-old national grievance." Peter Beinart writes that this represents "Israel's Palestinian Arab Spring": the tactics of mass non-violent protest that brought down the governments of Tunisia and Egypt, and are threatening to bring down those of Libya, Yemen and Syria, are now being used in the Palestinian cause.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
What would the world say if America repulsed Mexicans on it's borders in this way

The Palestinians have a legitimate beef that is always ignored in the fake peace talks.

All it takes is one idiot to blow himself up and this all goes to hell.

The Palestinians stopped suicide bombing years ago and Hamas has been doing serious arm twisting to stop all rockets. Firing rockets is not illegal so they can't just arrest people.

The Palestinians stopped suicide bombing years ago and Hamas has been doing serious arm twisting to stop all rockets. Firing rockets is not illegal so they can't just arrest people.

Firing rockets is not illegal? what kind of country is Hamas trying govern over there?:eek:

Firing rockets is not illegal? what kind of country is Hamas trying govern over there?:eek:

Self defense is legal under Palestinian law and international law. It is not illegal in the US either. We shot the hell out of the British in 1812. There was nothing illegal about that.

Self defense is legal under Palestinian law and international law. It is not illegal in the US either. We shot the hell out of the British in 1812. There was nothing illegal about that.

Umm no I'm pretty sure if I lobbed rockets into Canada I would be arrested by the authorities.

Umm no I'm pretty sure if I lobbed rockets into Canada I would be arrested by the authorities.

If Canada was in Michigan, it would be legal.

If Canada was in Michigan, it would be legal.

So if started launching rockets out of my backyard, I would not get arrested by the local police? I highly doubt that Tinmore.

Forum List

Back