Palestinians Certain to Win Recognition as a State by UN vote today

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
The Palestinians are certain to win U.N. recognition as a state on Thursday but success could exact a high price: delaying an independent state of Palestine because of Israel's vehement opposition.

The United States, Israel's closest ally, mounted an aggressive campaign to head off the General Assembly vote, which the Palestinians view as a historic step in their quest for global recognition.

The Palestinians say they need U.N. recognition of a Palestinian state in the West Bank, Gaza and east Jerusalem, the lands Israel captured in 1967, to be able to resume negotiations with Israel and the non-member observer state status could also open the way for possible war crimes charges against the Jewish state at the International Criminal Court.

In a last-ditch move Wednesday, U.S. Deputy Secretary of State William Burns made a personal appeal to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas promising that President Barack Obama would re-engage as a mediator in 2013 if Abbas abandoned the effort to seek statehood. But the Palestinian leader refused, said Abbas aide Saeb Erekat.

The Palestinians chose the "International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People" for the vote. Before it takes place, there will be a morning of speeches by supporters focusing on the rights of the Palestinians. Abbas is scheduled to be a speaker at that meeting, and again in the afternoon when he will present the case for Palestinian statehood in the General Assembly.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned Wednesday that the U.N. vote will not fulfill the goal of independent Palestinian and Israeli states living side by side in peace, which the U.S. strongly supports because that requires direct negotiations.

"We need an environment conducive to that," she told reporters in Washington. "And we've urged both parties to refrain from actions that might in any way make a return to meaningful negotiations that focus on getting to a resolution more difficult."

The U.S. Congress has threatened financial sanctions if the Palestinians improve their status at the United Nations.

Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev said that by going to the U.N., the Palestinians violate "both the spirit and the word of signed agreements to solve issues through negotiations," which broke down four years ago.

But Israeli officials appeared to back away from threats of drastic measures if the Palestinians get U.N. approval, with officials suggesting the government would take steps only if the Palestinians use their new status to act against Israel.

Palestinians Certain to Win Recognition as a State - ABC News

good idea----that makes the "new state" fully responsible for every Kassam rocket it launches------and unable to complain about return fire of ANY MAGNITUDE

Let us all join together to wish the Palestinains well in this UN vote. It's about time they be responsible for their own well being & stop sucking off of Israel to provide for them.

good idea----that makes the "new state" fully responsible for every Kassam rocket it launches------and unable to complain about return fire of ANY MAGNITUDE

The above is a plus I never thought of. Let there be a " Palestinian State" with Israel not going back to Borders that the Arabs never recognized, Not getting out of Jerusalem or " Right of Return"

Israel has stated if the Palestinians seek recognition all " negotiations" are over. It's about time. On the Palestinian side " negotiations" never started :eusa_boohoo:

The Palestinians are certain to win U.N. recognition as a state on Thursday but success could exact a high price: delaying an independent state of Palestine because of Israel's vehement opposition.

The United States, Israel's closest ally, mounted an aggressive campaign to head off the General Assembly vote, which the Palestinians view as a historic step in their quest for global recognition.

The Palestinians say they need U.N. recognition of a Palestinian state in the West Bank, Gaza and east Jerusalem, the lands Israel captured in 1967, to be able to resume negotiations with Israel and the non-member observer state status could also open the way for possible war crimes charges against the Jewish state at the International Criminal Court.

In a last-ditch move Wednesday, U.S. Deputy Secretary of State William Burns made a personal appeal to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas promising that President Barack Obama would re-engage as a mediator in 2013 if Abbas abandoned the effort to seek statehood. But the Palestinian leader refused, said Abbas aide Saeb Erekat.

The Palestinians chose the "International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People" for the vote. Before it takes place, there will be a morning of speeches by supporters focusing on the rights of the Palestinians. Abbas is scheduled to be a speaker at that meeting, and again in the afternoon when he will present the case for Palestinian statehood in the General Assembly.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned Wednesday that the U.N. vote will not fulfill the goal of independent Palestinian and Israeli states living side by side in peace, which the U.S. strongly supports because that requires direct negotiations.

"We need an environment conducive to that," she told reporters in Washington. "And we've urged both parties to refrain from actions that might in any way make a return to meaningful negotiations that focus on getting to a resolution more difficult."

The U.S. Congress has threatened financial sanctions if the Palestinians improve their status at the United Nations.

Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev said that by going to the U.N., the Palestinians violate "both the spirit and the word of signed agreements to solve issues through negotiations," which broke down four years ago.

But Israeli officials appeared to back away from threats of drastic measures if the Palestinians get U.N. approval, with officials suggesting the government would take steps only if the Palestinians use their new status to act against Israel.

Palestinians Certain to Win Recognition as a State - ABC News

As a State the first time the fire rockets mortars and missiles into Israel , she is free to occupy them until the Government of Palestine can stop such from happening. Go ahead make it a State.

If anyone anywhere has some sane reason why the U.S. would work against this I would like to see it, otherwise, WTF WH? :mad:

If anyone anywhere has some sane reason why the U.S. would work against this I would like to see it, otherwise, WTF WH? :mad:
What are its borders? Who is the ruling govt., leaders, responsible parties etc? What is its capital? If any of this includes parts of Israel, has there been a negotiated agreement?

That's why.

What are its borders? Who is the ruling govt., leaders, responsible parties etc? What is its capital? If any of this includes parts of Israel, has there been a negotiated agreement?

That's why.

That's why the administration opposes the initiative? Not seeing it here?

Does this mean when a country has a border dispute or there is a change of government they are temporarily barred from being a member of the U.N.? Is the location of the capital a requirement? Missed that one.

As has been stated this is a stepping stone. I thought most people were in agreement that this was the direction that things should be going. So why take away the stepping stone until after you have jumped across the river?

That's why.

Does this mean when a country has a border dispute or there is a change of government they are temporarily barred from being a member of the U.N.? Is the location of the capital a requirement? Missed that one.

As has been stated this is a stepping stone. I thought most people were in agreement that this was the direction that things should be going. So why take away the stepping stone until after you have jumped across the river?

I think the main concern is that once declared a "state" said state will propose its borders to not only be gaza, the west bank and east jerusalem, but all of Israel proper, thus having two states claiming the same territory. This would lead to UN issues for Israel that they dont really want to deal with.

That's why.

I think the main concern is that once declared a "state" said state will propose its borders to not only be gaza, the west bank and east jerusalem, but all of Israel proper, thus having two states claiming the same territory. This would lead to UN issues for Israel that they dont really want to deal with.

Taiwan?

I think it would be nice if this thread was merge with History passing Israel..

How does one get a moderator's attention around here. I could try flaming one. :)

Except the "chosen state" is still the only state sanctioned by nearly a hundred UNSC Resolutions condemning its illegal occupation of Palestine...Does that make you tingle all over?

Except the "chosen state" is still the only state sanctioned by nearly a hundred UNSC Resolutions condemning its illegal occupation of Palestine...Does that make you tingle all over?

I agree georgie, Israel should surrender to the great nation of Palestine, led by a bunch of AK-47 toting monkeys named Hamas who are calling for the genocide of Jews while yelling Allah Ahkbar !

14j6yvt.jpg

I agree georgie, Israel should surrender to the great nation of Palestine, led by a bunch of AK-47 toting monkeys named Hamas who are calling for the genocide of Jews while yelling Allah Ahkbar !

14j6yvt.jpg
Or the five million Jews and six million Arabs living between the Mediterranean Sea and the Jordan River could settle it all at the ballot box?

Taiwan?

Look what happened to Taiwan, they got booted out of the UN to make way for "Red" China. Also here is a case where it is the same nationality fighting over the same land. Basically you had a civil war and the side that lost took over an island forming a "government in exile"

14j6yvt.jpg
What's with the ski masks?

14j6yvt.jpg
Or the five million Jews and six million Arabs living between the Mediterranean Sea and the Jordan River could settle it all at the ballot box?

You would then get a civil war, and the muslims would lose.... again.

Why would any Israeli voluntarily give up power to people that want them dead?

Taiwan?

Look what happened to Taiwan, they got booted out of the UN to make way for "Red" China. Also here is a case where it is the same nationality fighting over the same land. Basically you had a civil war and the side that lost took over an island forming a "government in exile"

Taiwan is currently a non-member state of the UN.
Non-Members of the United Nations
(See? It did come up as your next trivia question.)

Let us all join together to wish the Palestinains well in this UN vote. It's about time they be responsible for their own well being & stop sucking off of Israel to provide for them.

Or held responsible for lobbing rockets at innocent civilians... Oh, I forgot... Non Muslims are never innocent right.

14j6yvt.jpg

You would then get a civil war, and the muslims would lose.... again.

Why would any Israeli voluntarily give up power to people that want them dead?

But they would claim victory lol

Forum List

Back