Palestinian Woman Aya Baradiya's 'Honor' Killing Sparks Tougher West Bank Laws

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA

s-AYA-BARADIYA-large.jpg

SURIF, West Bank -- A 20-year-old Palestinian woman who was thrown into a well and left to die in the name of "family honor" has not become just another statistic in one of the Middle East's most shameful practices.

The killing of Aya Baradiya – by an uncle who didn't like a potential suitor – sparked such outrage that Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas scrapped laws this week that guaranteed sentences of six months or less for such killings.

And in another sign of changing attitudes, the young college student is being mourned as a "martyr" and her grieving parents are being embraced, not shunned, by neighbors.

So-called "honor killings" are committed regularly in traditional Arab societies that enforce strict separation between the sexes and view an unmarried woman's unsupervised contact with a man, even by telephone, as a stain on the family's reputation. There were nine such killings in the West Bank last year, and Jordan reports about 20 every year.

Women's activists hailed Abbas' decision as a milestone in what they say is still a long road toward protecting women from such abuse.

"Such a tragic event managed to send a message that change is needed," said rights campaigner Hanan Ashrawi. "We have traction and we are going to move."

Suha Arafat, Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's widow, emerged from self-imposed seclusion to praise Abbas. Speaking in an interview with The Associated Press, she said she tried to persuade her husband many times to take such a step, but was told the Palestinian people faced other pressing problems that needed to be dealt with first.

One of 13 siblings, Baradiya lived in the West Bank town of Surif near the city of Hebron, where she majored in English literature at Hebron University. She wore the traditional Muslim headscarf and classmates described her as chaste and noble-minded.

"She was lovely. She was intelligent. She had a big heart," said the woman's mother, Fatma, calling her daughter "the dynamo of the household."

Let's face it. You post about Muslims killing one of their own and immediately a "Free Speech" troll comes in and starts posting about Israel and Jews. Saigon and America.

Anything other than Muslims slaughtering their own young.

s-AYA-BARADIYA-large.jpg

SURIF, West Bank -- A 20-year-old Palestinian woman who was thrown into a well and left to die in the name of "family honor" has not become just another statistic in one of the Middle East's most shameful practices.

The killing of Aya Baradiya – by an uncle who didn't like a potential suitor – sparked such outrage that Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas scrapped laws this week that guaranteed sentences of six months or less for such killings.

And in another sign of changing attitudes, the young college student is being mourned as a "martyr" and her grieving parents are being embraced, not shunned, by neighbors.

So-called "honor killings" are committed regularly in traditional Arab societies that enforce strict separation between the sexes and view an unmarried woman's unsupervised contact with a man, even by telephone, as a stain on the family's reputation. There were nine such killings in the West Bank last year, and Jordan reports about 20 every year.

Women's activists hailed Abbas' decision as a milestone in what they say is still a long road toward protecting women from such abuse.

"Such a tragic event managed to send a message that change is needed," said rights campaigner Hanan Ashrawi. "We have traction and we are going to move."

Suha Arafat, Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's widow, emerged from self-imposed seclusion to praise Abbas. Speaking in an interview with The Associated Press, she said she tried to persuade her husband many times to take such a step, but was told the Palestinian people faced other pressing problems that needed to be dealt with first.

One of 13 siblings, Baradiya lived in the West Bank town of Surif near the city of Hebron, where she majored in English literature at Hebron University. She wore the traditional Muslim headscarf and classmates described her as chaste and noble-minded.

"She was lovely. She was intelligent. She had a big heart," said the woman's mother, Fatma, calling her daughter "the dynamo of the household."

Why would they be any different than the 57 Muslim countries who kill their unbelievers. The proof of how they will treat their unbelievers is proven by how they treat their own.

I mean its' pretty much out there.

Let's face it. You post about Muslims killing one of their own and immediately a "Free Speech" troll comes in and starts posting about Israel and Jews. Saigon and America.

Anything other than Muslims slaughtering their own young.

s-AYA-BARADIYA-large.jpg

Why would they be any different than the 57 Muslim countries who kill their unbelievers. The proof of how they will treat their unbelievers is proven by how they treat their own.

I mean its' pretty much out there.

I fail to see what Saigon or Israel has to do with this, this young Palestinian girl was murdered by her own uncle and for what? this is disgusting.:evil:

s-AYA-BARADIYA-large.jpg

Is a good start, i hope they do change. I somehow don't think they will.

i hope they do change. I somehow don't think they will.

I'm with you.

When I was younger I used to believe people could change and be good if you give them a chance, but after my time in the Military and other things I have been through I really believe we are who we are, for better or worse, most people only "change" if its forced and they are still the same person underneath everything.

i hope they do change. I somehow don't think they will.

I'm with you.

When I was younger I used to believe people could change and be good if you give them a chance, but after my time in the Military and other things I have been through I really believe we are who we are, for better or worse, most people only "change" if its forced and they are still the same person underneath everything.

sad to say, but what you say is all true. Give them a few centuries and they may crawl out from under the rocks.

I'm with you.

sad to say, but what you say is all true. Give them a few centuries and they may crawl out from under the rocks.

Different cultures take longer to modernize, can't force it.

modernize? oh i think they are very modernized. Civilized and socialized is more the question.

modernize? oh i think they are very modernized. Civilized and socialized is more the question.

Some countries are modernized but some like Pakistan and Afghanistan have people living in mud huts, illiterate with no education, that is not a good mix. Some of them don't even know what a telephone is.:eek:

Forum List

Back