Palestinian people

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Results of a DNA study by geneticist Ariella Oppenheim appears to match historical accounts that Arab Israelis and Palestinians,[13][14] together as the one same population, represent modern "descendants of a core population that lived in the area since prehistoric times"

"Throughout history a great diversity of peoples has moved into the region and made Palestine their homeland: Jebusites, Canaanites, Philistines from Crete, Anatolian and Lydian Greeks, Hebrews, Amorites, Edomites, Nabateans, Arameans, Romans, Arabs, and European crusaders, to name a few. Each of them appropriated different regions that overlapped in time and competed for sovereignty and land. Others, such as Ancient Egyptians, Hittites, Persians, Babylonians, and Mongols, were historical 'events' whose successive occupations were as ravaging as the effects of major earthquakes ... Like shooting stars, the various cultures shine for a brief moment before they fade out of official historical and cultural records of Palestine. The people, however, survive. In their customs and manners, fossils of these ancient civilizations survived until modernity—albeit modernity camouflaged under the veneer of Islam and Arabic culture."

Palestinian people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This blows a hole in Israel's "we were here first" propaganda.

Last edited:

The propaganda you made up the existence of, you mean.

Back in the real world, I think most of us who have spent time in both Israel and Palestine have noticed how alike they are, and it also makes sense that any two peoples who have lived on the same piece of land for 2,700 years would also have interbred quite a lot at times. Genetically, I would imagine they are very close.

Nevertheless, what separates people is not always as simple as genetics - what about Estonians and Russians, Germans and Poles, or Iranians and Azeris?

It is also about culture, tradition, religion, history and politics.

Take those into account, and you have a more realistic basis for understanding why we see two societies, and not one.

The propaganda you made up the existence of, you mean.

Back in the real world, I think most of us who have spent time in both Israel and Palestine have noticed how alike they are, and it also makes sense that any two peoples who have lived on the same piece of land for 2,700 years would also have interbred quite a lot at times. Genetically, I would imagine they are very close.

Nevertheless, what separates people is not always as simple as genetics - what about Estonians and Russians, Germans and Poles, or Iranians and Azeris?

It is also about culture, tradition, religion, history and politics.

Take those into account, and you have a more realistic basis for understanding why we see two societies, and not one.

What this seems to suggest is that the indigenous population of Palestine which includes Muslims, Christians, and Jews have a long and shared heritage.

What this seems to suggest is that the indigenous population of Palestine which includes Muslims, Christians, and Jews have a long and shared heritage.

To some extent, yes.

Put it this way - if you've ever travelled along the Syrian coast, you might have noticed a lot of blonde, blue eyed Syrian people around. The reason is that this is the route taken by the Crusades.

Go back 2,000 years and I'm sure there was more intermingling of "tribes" than you could shake a stick at. It's a natural part of history, I think.

To some extent, yes.

Put it this way - if you've ever travelled along the Syrian coast, you might have noticed a lot of blonde, blue eyed Syrian people around. The reason is that this is the route taken by the Crusades.

Go back 2,000 years and I'm sure there was more intermingling of "tribes" than you could shake a stick at. It's a natural part of history, I think.

That is true. Many flags have been raised over city hall over the centuries. Some people have come and some have gone. Those who have stayed form the indigenous population.

This is interesting.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPRgXAYTQlU&NR=1[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPkLWlylISM[/ame]

Forum List

Back