Palestinian Flag Flies Officially for First Time in Washington

Jos

Rookie
Feb 6, 2010
The Palestinian flag was flown for the first time outside PLO diplomatic offices in Washington today, in a symbolic step that officials said shows momentum towards creation of an independent Palestinian state.

Ambassador Maen Areikat unfurled the red, green, white and black banner from a balcony above the office entrance to a round of applause from supporters. He hailed the moment as historic.

"It's about time that this flag that symbolizes the struggle of the Palestinian people for self-determination and statehood to be raised in the U.S.,"
Palestinians Raise Flag Outside PLO Offices in U.S. for First Time - ABC News

:clap2:

I remember how invulnerable White South African appeared during the Reagan Administration, and I also recall how quickly that changed.

"We hope that this will help international efforts to provide recognition of the Palestinian state and we hope that, as President Obama said at the U.N. General Assembly last year, by the next General Assembly session this year in September, Palestine will be a full member of the U.N."

"Palestinian leaders have been intensely lobbying members of the U.N. for official recognition this year despite U.S. opposition and the threat of a veto... "

Palestinians Raise Flag

Never underestimate Washington's role or the part Brussels could play in bringing down the Jewish apartheid state:

"...interbank transfer instructions are conducted through the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT), which is based in Belgium.

"So, instead of New York — as in the period when sanctions were applied on South Africa– Belgium is now the pressure point.

"SWIFT links 8,740 financial institutions in 209 countries.

"Without access to SWIFT and its interbank payment network, countries are unable either to pay for imports or to receive payment for exports.

"In short, no payment..."

The Palestinian flag was flown for the first time outside PLO diplomatic offices in Washington today, in a symbolic step that officials said shows momentum towards creation of an independent Palestinian state

The Arabians can finally fly a flat. Good. Maybe someday they will have the presence of mind to create a peace and fly it in Gaza and West Bank.

And maybe other places.

This is proof that both states exist. Not what PF and George wants though. I'm fine with them flying their flag.

But U.S. officials said the move did not signify an upgrade in diplomatic status.

The PLO "operates under guidance provided by the State Department. It does not have any diplomatic privileges or immunities," State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said in July. "But these steps have symbolic value, they reflect improved relations between the United States and Palestinians, but they have no meaning under the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations."

In a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in August, 36 members of Congress protested the Department's decision to grant the Palestinians' requests and insisted instead that the PLO offices be closed.

Republican Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, who chairs the House Foreign Affairs Committee, called Tuesday's flag raising a Palestinian "scheme" to manipulate public and international opinion.

"The Palestinian leadership's ongoing drive to win recognition from foreign governments, and its latest push to condemn Israel at the UN, is part of the same strategy aimed at extracting concessions without being required to meet international commitments," she said in a statement. "I remain deeply disappointed that the Palestinian leadership continues to reject the opportunity to negotiate directly and in good faith with the Israeli government to resolve all outstanding issues and achieve security and peace. Instead, Palestinian leaders reject negotiations, they make excuses, and they seek shortcuts to statehood."

From OP's link.

Last edited:
"Palestine" exists extemporaneously and is up to the Arabians to create their country.

They beg others to do that which they can not. Every Arabian country that is in existence has not been created by Arabians, but by incoming and outgoing Empires.

Still, they can not create Palestine after being given it in 48.

Rather pitiful if you ask me.

Oh, here I am discussing with trolls again. My mistake.

Forum List

Back