Palestinian discord over holocaust concert

Godboy

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2008
TEL AVIV – Wafaa Younis is a woman whose heart is in the right place; she is an Israeli Arab who has made a real effort to help Palestinian children in the Jenin refugee camp in the northern West Bank.
She started with the boys; she wanted them to put down their stones and learn the violin, in the hope that they would not grow up and pick up a gun. I first met her three years ago when she finally persuaded the Israelis to allow the Palestinian children to leave the West Bank and go to her home in the Israeli town of Ara for violin lessons.

She even took them on trips to the coast; even though they grew up 30 miles from the Mediterranean, they had never seen the sea. Her first attempts to teach a few boys the violin grew into a small orchestra of boys and girls. She even rented an apartment in Jenin so that she could teach them there, because it was easier for her to cross into the West Bank than it was for them to leave.

Then Younis had an idea; as part of Israel’s annual Good Deeds Week, she would arrange a little concert in Holon, near Tel Aviv. Her young musicians from the "Strings of Freedom" orchestra would entertain Holocaust survivors. They would play their favorite classics, and also some songs of peace; a way to bridge the divide between Palestinians and Israelis.

Too volatile an issue
At the concert last Wednesday, the group of 13 young musicians from Jenin played for about 30 Holocaust survivors and they even dedicated one song to Gilad Shalit, the Israeli soldier who has been held prisoner by Hamas in Gaza for three years.

Younis is not the first person to make such an effort – there are literally hundreds of peace groups that have the same aim – bringing together Arabs and Jews with similar interests and hopes.

But playing for the Holocaust survivors turned out to be bridge too far. Adnan Hindi, a Palestinian political leader in Jenin, was outraged by the concert. He called the Holocaust a political issue and said that the Palestinian children had been tricked.

He complained that Younis had not told the children they would be playing before such a politically sensitive audience. She answered that she tried to explain to them, but that they made too much noise on the bus and didn't hear her. Other Palestinians said that was a bit late to tell them.

Younis said she didn't realize anybody could possibly object to playing a concert for those "poor old people" – and anyway, most of the Palestinian children had never heard of the Holocaust.

The Holocaust is a particularly sensitive subject for Palestinians. There is widespread ignorance of the details of the atrocities committed by the Nazis against Jews during World War II and there is a sense among many Palestinians that why should they care about Jewish suffering more than 60 years ago when Israelis don’t seem to care about the suffering they are causing Palestinians today.

No good deed goes unpunished
Younis is an Israeli Arab who tried to do a bit of good. For her pains, her apartment in Jenin has been boarded up and she is not allowed into the town anymore. Her orchestra has been disbanded. She said the Palestinian officials just want to take the money that she had raised for the children's orchestra.

I know Younis. After I met her several years ago she called me for months, asking for donations, for a contribution for a new violin, or even an old one, just so that she could teach music to her Palestinian students.

She wanted to introduce a bit of light into their lives and direct them toward the violin bow, and away from the gun. She had many ideas to help people, and she possessed in abundance that peculiar combination of strength and naiveté that mark people who, against great odds, achieve great things.

Today she didn't answer her phone.

I wonder how many jewish choirs were busy singing for Nazis.... hmmm... I'm sure they could have depended on continued support from the synagogue deep into 1945.

I wonder how many jewish choirs were busy singing for Nazis.... hmmm... I'm sure they could have depended on continued support from the synagogue deep into 1945.

The synagogues had all been burned down by the Nazis.

what.. did bulldozers get invented the day after hitler died?

Ok, I got what you were saying now. Do you feel sorry for the Nazis?

not at all. which is why I don't have a problem applying the same contempt to zionists. If you can't fathom a jewish group supporting a choir sung to nazis then why would you imagine palis should do that exact thing in support of choirs sung to zionists?

If anything I think this would have been a great opportunity for Palestinian leaders to capitalize on such an event. That under such oppression and suffering, that they could be the bigger then it all, using the most powerful weapon of all, knowledge and understanding.

not at all. which is why I don't have a problem applying the same contempt to zionists. If you can't fathom a jewish group supporting a choir sung to nazis then why would you imagine palis should do that exact thing in support of choirs sung to zionists?

They didnt pull the plug because they were performing for jews, they pulled it because they found out it was for holocaust victims, and Palestinians are holocaust deniers. They are a stupid people, and you are stupid too Shogun, for not getting the point of the whole story. It was all right there in the article, yet somehow you fucked that up with your dumbass comparison about performing a concert for Nazi's.

What a moron.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back