Palestine Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

The saying “one person’s trash is another person’s treasure” could not ring more true in the case of Aya Kishko, who at only 26 years old founded and is running her successful Basata Up business in Gaza. Aya launched an enterprise built on upcycling discarded wooden crates into high value furniture. On any given day, more than 200 trucks, each containing about 24 wooden crates of merchandise, enter Gaza. While the goods are distributed, the crates are usually discarded out onto the streets. Not only are they an eye sore but in the small, densely populated city they are also an environmental hazard.

Aya, a graduate of architectural engineering, is among a small but growing number of rising female innovators across the Palestinian territories who are breaking new ground in non-traditional and high impact fields. In the recent World Bank report Enhancing Job Opportunities for Skilled Women in the Palestinian Territories, supported by the Norwegian government, a striking feature is the untapped human capital of the Palestinian labor force. This untapped supply of talent and human capital is largely characterized by female and youth.

I strive to provide opportunity and hope to Gazan youth, many of whom had been jobless before working at my company,” says Aya, ”I would especially like to encourage and inspire more women in the field; one idea is to establish a women’s training center[in my workshop to involve them not only in design and marketing but also in implementation and manufacturing, which tends to be male-dominated.

This thread was created SOLELY to focus on aspects of daily living in Gaza and West Bank.. It was created to match one that featured daily aspects of Israeli life.. The objective was to show the culture, commerce, arts, science and education, recreation and even maybe some of the CURRENT effects of the occupation on travel and trade...

What was NOT "on topic" was yet another "deep dive" rolling brawl over 4000 years of history.. Was NOT to get too political or include UN edicts, US Congress bills, past wars and conflicts, propaganda cartoons and videos, ect.. It was to be a thread that shows the vibrance and resiliency of the Palestinians -- A BREAK from "all that other stuff"...

Thread lost it's way... Mod staff is discussing how to "reboot it" and KEEP the thread confined to the intended purpose.. Will probably be restarted sometime early next week... Too many "off topic" thread diversions to moderate here -- so this one will be closed.. Contacting the OP for ideas on how to LIMIT the topic.. Coyote WillHaftawaite Meister Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back