Palestine: the things you don’t hear about

Status
Not open for further replies.
A New Generation of Palestinian Chefs Poised to Conquer the World
A new generation of Palestinian chefs poised to conquer the world

“I was linked as a child to my family and tradition, we celebrated all the holidays and I knew a lot of the stories and history, but not in depth. When I learned to read and speak Arabic fluently, the language became my heritage. Even the choice to deal with cooking professionally was part of a process of opening up to my family and community’s culture. When I handed the book to my father, he wept with emotion and said he never thought that I of all people would contribute so much to changing the world’s image of the Palestinian people,” Kalla said.

The chef is part of a wave of third-generation Palestinian refugees and exiles trying to revolutionize their people's image by preserving and publicizing Palestinian culture. In many places, including Israel, first and second generations of immigrants are busy overcoming trauma and the difficulties of immigration alongside adapting to a new society. Those of the third generation don't need to prove they belong in the place where they were born, and many eventually seek to return to their roots and the traditions from which they were cut off.

The kitchen provides a comfortable means of identity formation — in this case Palestinian — and can be used to disseminate historic and national heritage. The rhetoric used by these young chefs, many of them women, recalls the way in which the kitchen helped Jews preserve their identity in the Diaspora.

443026D6-4B92-47CE-8645-CB892B02F5B5.jpeg

This thread is for news about Palestine and Palestinians today you might not normally hear about.

I don't believe any of us would deny there are some good Palestinians doing good for their own kind. So tell us, are these Palestinians you present not victims of their own elected leadership?

Many good Palestinians inform on the crazies to prevent terrorist attacks.
They also don’t want to live in an Arab ruled country.

I don't believe any of us would deny there are some good Palestinians doing good for their own kind. So tell us, are these Palestinians you present not victims of their own elected leadership?
What elected leadership? When was the last election?

I found it particularly interesting that Gaza had a growing high tech sector and especially, the number of women involved there and in the sciences.

Gaza: Child Centre – Gaza hosts the Palestine Rubik’s Cube Championship

The first of its kind in mind sports in Palestine, the Palestine Rubik’s Cube Championship aimed to offer an opportunity to children to play mind games. These games develop the mind and intuition, enhance one’s subconscious mind and intelligence, and improve the spirit of challenge and competitiveness.

The Palestine Rubik’s Cube Championship brought together five players from Gaza and 120 others from the West Bank governorates, including Jerusalem. Players competed to solve the Rubik’s cube. The event was organised on the CCG premises via Skype with the Al-Quds University, Abu Dis.T

38612526_515760515519974_5438500723652296704_n_0.jpg

Anera’s Land Reclamation Projects in Palestine Bolster Rural Communities

Terrace walls are almost as ubiquitous as the olive trees that grow behind them on the arid hills of the West Bank. The crumbling remains of terraces cut by Roman farmers dot the landscape.

Driving along the steep road that leads from Qabalan to Jorish today, the role that terraces continue to play in conserving fertile land for farming is evident. In such mountainous terrain, terracing decreases erosion and surface runoff.

The-quintessential-West-Bank-scene-terraced-hills-and-olive-trees.-1024x677.jpg

There is an art to building terraces. Farmers begin by using bulldozers to remove rocks and large stones from the ground. Then skilled terrace technicians re-purpose these stones to construct durable walls across the slopes in fields being reclaimed.

Terraced agricultural fields on steep hillsides conserve water and protect nutrient-rich soil from erosion. Farmers like to construct the walls from naturally existing stones, instead of concrete, as it is cheaper and at the same time permeable. The local stones allow water to flow out of the terraces during heavy rainfall to protect crops from flooding.

An-old-terrace-wall-in-the-town-of-Yatma-near-Nablus.-1024x678.jpg

Land Reclamation Projects in Palestine Bolster Rural Communities

Lost cities of Palestine: Haifa, Nazareth, and Jaffa

Most of what was presented was not built or developed by the Arabs.
But the movie does confirm that a big portion of the people called now 'Palestinians' are descendants of recent foreign workers.

7EE22D62-9738-4601-B967-982C2FFFB7E9.jpeg

Shining a light on the forgotten food of Gaza

When we think of the Gaza Strip, our minds probably turn to conflict, isolation and an insurgence of refugees, rather than food.

But this small Palestinian territory, bound by the Mediterranean Sea, Israel and Egypt, has a cuisine that will rival some of the world’s hottest culinary meccas. This is what Laila El-Haddad, and her co-author Maggie Schmitt, set out to demonstrate in their 2013 cookbook, The Gaza Kitchen.

El-Haddad, an award-winning author, chef, and journalist (she’s been published in The Washington Post and cooked with Yotam Ottolenghi), was eager to fill in the gaps left by her history teachers by exploring her country’s food.

“Why had our neighbours from Jerusalem never heard of sumagiyya (a spicy meat stew), or dill seeds? Why were there certain dishes, like bisara and rumaniyya, that my parents largely kept to themselves? What could all these foods tell us about the hundreds of towns and villages that existed only in the collective memory of Palestinians, but none of the textbooks or maps I read growing up?” she asks, speaking to SBS Food ahead of a 10-day visit to Australia in April.

View attachment 227012

Shining a light on the forgotten food of Gaza

When we think of the Gaza Strip, our minds probably turn to conflict, isolation and an insurgence of refugees, rather than food.

But this small Palestinian territory, bound by the Mediterranean Sea, Israel and Egypt, has a cuisine that will rival some of the world’s hottest culinary meccas. This is what Laila El-Haddad, and her co-author Maggie Schmitt, set out to demonstrate in their 2013 cookbook, The Gaza Kitchen.

El-Haddad, an award-winning author, chef, and journalist (she’s been published in The Washington Post and cooked with Yotam Ottolenghi), was eager to fill in the gaps left by her history teachers by exploring her country’s food.

“Why had our neighbours from Jerusalem never heard of sumagiyya (a spicy meat stew), or dill seeds? Why were there certain dishes, like bisara and rumaniyya, that my parents largely kept to themselves? What could all these foods tell us about the hundreds of towns and villages that existed only in the collective memory of Palestinians, but none of the textbooks or maps I read growing up?” she asks, speaking to SBS Food ahead of a 10-day visit to Australia in April.

You guys got to be kidding,
rumaniyyeh is a well known dish both among Arabs and Jews of the middle east, it's pretty common, as well as bisara - a Morrocan humus.

Paliwood lies have no boundaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back