Palestine 1896

Biblical Historian and Scholar Dr. Paula Fredriksen, Ph.D, History of Religion, Princeton University, Diploma in Theology, Oxford University
The Judean revolt against Rome was led by [Jewish messiah] Bar Kochba in 132-135 CE. The immediate causes of this rebellion are obscure. Its result was not: [Roman Emperor] Hadrian crushed the revolt and banned Jews from Judea.

The Romans now designated this territory by a political neologism, "Palestine" [a Latin form of "Philistine"], in a deliberate effort to denationalize Jewish/Judean territory. And, finally, Hadrian eradicated Jewish Jerusalem, erecting upon its ruins a new pagan city, Aelia Capitolina.
Random House, Inc. Academic Resources | Augustine and the Jews by Paula Fredriksen

PBS ...
Specializing in the history of early Christianity, Paula Fredriksen is author of two books and over a dozen articles on early Christianity. Among her numerous awards and honors are a National Endowment for the Humanities grant for University Professors and a Lady Davis Visiting Professorship of Ancient Christianity at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. Her second book, From Jesus to Christ: The Origins of the New Testament Images of Jesus, received the Yale Press Governors' Award for Best Book in 1988. Fredriksen holds a Ph.D. in history of religions, ancient christianity, and Greco-Roman religions from Princeton University and a theology diploma from Oxford University. She served as historical consultant for the BBC production The Lives of Jesus and was a featured speaker and historical consultant for U.S. News and World Report's "The Life and Times of Jesus."
Biographies | From Jesus To Christ - The First Christians | FRONTLINE | PBS

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xrnw-yIc9w]The True History of Palestine - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vaIK8wlAl0]Palestine 1896 - YouTube[/ame]

Biblical Historian and Scholar Dr. L. Michael White, Ph.D. and Master of Divinity Degrees from Yale University ....
Responses to the Roman Destruction of Jerusalem

The Roman destruction of Jerusalem sent shock waves through the Jewish population. The loss of life was devastating, but the destruction of Jerusalem and especially the Temple was even more devastating.

Several other effects were discernable in the period of the postwar reconstruction...

Roman coinage of the period carried the legend Judaea Capta [Judaea Captured], a clear statement of the Jewish subjugation

The province of Judaea was reorganized and even renamed Palestina [the Latin form of the old regional name Philistia]. The name change was another slap in the face to Jewish identity

From Jesus to Christianity: How Four Generations of Visionaries & Storytellers Created the New Testament and Christian Faith by L. Michael White

PBS
One of the nation's foremost religion scholars, L. Michael White has a special interest in the social world of early Christians and Jews in the Greco-Roman period. His forthcoming book, Images of Jesus: The Shape of the Gospels and the Making of Tradition, deals extensively with the development of the gospels in early Christian history. White's distinguished career includes academic appointments at Yale University, Oberlin College, and University of Texas at Austin, where he currently serves as professor of classics and director of the religious studies program. White has published six books and over thirty articles and book reviews on Christianity and has received numerous awards and honors, including two National Endowment for the Humanities research fellowships. He is active as a program leader in the Society of Biblical Literature and is currently series editor for the Archaeology and Biblical Studies Series. He has served on the editorial boards of The Journal of Early Christian Studies and Biblical Archaeologist. White has served on archaeological excavations in Israel and also has done extensive field research in Italy, Greece, and Turkey. He received his Ph.D. and master of divinity degrees from Yale University.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xrnw-yIc9w]The True History of Palestine - YouTube[/ame]

• Banned
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k9IlR3-_-A&feature=player_embedded]The West Wing - Holy Land Map - YouTube[/ame]

BARTLET
Charlie.

CHARLIE
Good morning.

BARTLET
How was your weekend?

CHARLIE
It was good, sir.

BARTLET
What'd you do?

CHARLIE
I was here most of the time with you, sir.

BARTLET
Time well spent.

CHARLIE
Yeah

BARTLET
Weren't you going to a flea market?

CHARLIE
Yeah, I picked something up for you.

BARTLET
You didn't have to do that.

CHARLIE
Yeah? It's a map of the Holy Land that was drawn in 1709. It's titled "Canaan, Palestine, or the Holy Land."

BARTLET
Nice sucking up.

CHARLIE
Thank you, sir.

BARTLET
Look at these topographical details. Seriously, I'm going to have this framed, this is great.

CHARLIE
If you leave it here, I'll send it out.

BARTLET
No, I'm going to play with it some more.

LEO
Good morning.

BARTLET
Look at this map. 1709. The Dead Sea, Jordan River, Mount Sinai.

LEO
That's beautiful.

BARTLET
You want to come inside?

LEO
Yeah.

BARTLET
Thanks again, Charlie.

SCENE 2.

BARTLET
All right. Hey, you want to see something? Charlie gave this to me. It's a map of the Holy Land, drawn in 1709. He got at a flea market. It's hand-colored, copper engraved. I was going to put it in the outer office.

TOBY
This outer office?

BARTLET
Yeah.

TOBY
No.

BARTLET
Why?

TOBY
Why?

BARTLET
Yeah.

TOBY
'Cause some people are going to find it offensive.

BARTLET
Why?

TOBY
It doesn't recognize Israel.

BARTLET
It was drawn in 1709.

TOBY
Yeah.

BARTLET
There was no Israel.

TOBY
Right.

BARTLET
Israel wouldn't happen for another 250 years.

TOBY
Yeah.

BARTLET
So, what's the problem with the map?

TOBY
Some people are going to find it offensive.

BARTLET
Why?

TOBY

BARTLET
Take lunch, would you?

SCENE 3.

BARTLET
Wait. I want to show you this great map Charlie found.

C.J.
Sir, I know about it. You can't put it up in the West Wing.

BARTLET
C.J.?!

C.J.

BARTLET
There was no Israel in 1709.

C.J.
That's right.

BARTLET
So, it's not on the map.

C.J.
Which is what some people are going to find offensive.

BARTLET
That's ridiculous.

C.J.
You know what would be great?

BARTLET
If I put it someplace else?

C.J.
Yes.

BARTLET
Leo has--in what used to be his house when he was married--a map of the United States. The first third of it is the 13 original colonies. The second third of it is the French territory of Louisiana. And the third third is Mexico. In this map of the United States, there is not a single state. That's because when this map was made there was no United States.

CHARLIE knocks and enters.

BARTLET
I am the President of the United States and I'm not offended by it.

C.J.
Well, you're bigger than ten men, sir. What do you say we put it out of the way?

BARTLET
I'm having it enlarged and bolting it to the hood of my limo. They don't want us to put up our map, Charlie. They're philistines in the fight for freedom but that doesn't bother us, does it?

CHARLIE
Huh?

BARTLET
Never mind.

C.J.
It's not like I'm agreeing with the people who are going to be offended. It's just that you're asking for a whole lot of pain, in exchange for which you get nothing but an old map.

BARTLET
That's the key. An old map. An old map. Spin that.

C.J.
See, now you got me out there spinning things.

BARTLET
Anything else?

SCENE 4.

BARTLET
No. Let me ask you something. You may be the last sane voice around here.

LEO
Hang on, before I forget. That map that Charlie gave you. Make sure you don't put it where people can see it.

BARTLET
I don't believe this.

LEO
Recognizing Israel's a pretty hot button, wouldn't you say?

BARTLET
In Lebanon. Not here. It's not like I'm thinking "God, I was going to recognize Israel, but now that I've seen this map..." You know what? Let's just sit here quietly.

LEO
Yes, sir

Dr. Michael Coogan, Eminent Biblical Scholar, PhD, Harvard University, Professor Emeritus of Religious Studies at Stonehill College and Director of Publications for the Harvard Semitic Museum. Author of, "The Oxford History of the Biblical World"
The Jewish revolt against the Romans had many causes. Anti-Roman nationalistic unrest and militant messianic sentiments were key factors, as probably was the confiscation of Jewish land by the Roman government in the aftermath of the First Jewish Revolt.

In the aftermath of the revolt, the Roman government changed the name of the province from Judea to Syria Palaestina. Jerusalem was tranformed into the Roman city of Aelia Capitolina
Oxford University Press: The Oxford History of the Biblical World: Michael D. Coogan

The West Wing - Holy Land Map - YouTube

BARTLET
Charlie.

CHARLIE
Good morning.

BARTLET
How was your weekend?

CHARLIE
It was good, sir.

BARTLET
What'd you do?

CHARLIE

BARTLET
Time well spent.

CHARLIE
Yeah

BARTLET

CHARLIE

BARTLET

CHARLIE
Yeah? It's a map of the Holy Land that was drawn in 1709. It's titled "Canaan, Palestine, or the Holy Land."

BARTLET
Nice sucking up.

CHARLIE
Thank you, sir.

BARTLET
Look at these topographical details. Seriously, I'm going to have this framed, this is great.

CHARLIE

BARTLET

LEO
Good morning.

BARTLET

LEO
That's beautiful.

BARTLET
You want to come inside?

LEO
Yeah.

BARTLET
Thanks again, Charlie.

SCENE 2.

BARTLET
All right. Hey, you want to see something? Charlie gave this to me. It's a map of the Holy Land, drawn in 1709. He got at a flea market. It's hand-colored, copper engraved. I was going to put it in the outer office.

TOBY
This outer office?

BARTLET
Yeah.

TOBY
No.

BARTLET
Why?

TOBY
Why?

BARTLET
Yeah.

TOBY

BARTLET
Why?

TOBY

BARTLET
It was drawn in 1709.

TOBY
Yeah.

BARTLET
There was no Israel.

TOBY
Right.

BARTLET

TOBY
Yeah.

BARTLET

TOBY

BARTLET
Why?

TOBY

BARTLET
Take lunch, would you?

SCENE 3.

BARTLET

C.J.

BARTLET
C.J.?!

C.J.

BARTLET

C.J.
That's right.

BARTLET
So, it's not on the map.

C.J.

BARTLET
That's ridiculous.

C.J.

BARTLET

C.J.
Yes.

BARTLET
Leo has--in what used to be his house when he was married--a map of the United States. The first third of it is the 13 original colonies. The second third of it is the French territory of Louisiana. And the third third is Mexico. In this map of the United States, there is not a single state. That's because when this map was made there was no United States.

BARTLET

C.J.
Well, you're bigger than ten men, sir. What do you say we put it out of the way?

BARTLET
I'm having it enlarged and bolting it to the hood of my limo. They don't want us to put up our map, Charlie. They're philistines in the fight for freedom but that doesn't bother us, does it?

CHARLIE
Huh?

BARTLET
Never mind.

C.J.
It's not like I'm agreeing with the people who are going to be offended. It's just that you're asking for a whole lot of pain, in exchange for which you get nothing but an old map.

BARTLET

C.J.

BARTLET
Anything else?

SCENE 4.

BARTLET

LEO
Hang on, before I forget. That map that Charlie gave you. Make sure you don't put it where people can see it.

BARTLET
I don't believe this.

LEO

BARTLET
In Lebanon. Not here. It's not like I'm thinking "God, I was going to recognize Israel, but now that I've seen this map..." You know what? Let's just sit here quietly.

LEO
Yes, sir

There was no Israel in 1709?

Nobody can find a 1948 map of Israel.

Cambridge University Press
In Ottoman times [400 years duration, prior to World War I], no political entity called Palestine existed. After the collapse of the Ottoman Empire at the end of the First World War, European boundary makers began to take greater interest in defining territorial limits for Palestine. Only since the 1920s has Palestine had formally delimited boundaries, though these have remained subject to repeated change and a source of bitter dispute.
Palestine Boundaries 1833–1947 - Cambridge Archive Editions

Only since the 1920s has Palestine had formally delimited boundaries, though these have remained subject to repeated change and a source of bitter dispute.

Palestine's borders were defined in 1922.

What changes have been made since then?

What border disputes have there been?

Cambridge University Press
In Ottoman times [400 years duration, prior to World War I], no political entity called Palestine existed. After the collapse of the Ottoman Empire at the end of the First World War, European boundary makers began to take greater interest in defining territorial limits for Palestine. Only since the 1920s has Palestine had formally delimited boundaries, though these have remained subject to repeated change and a source of bitter dispute.
Palestine Boundaries 1833–1947 - Cambridge Archive Editions

Only since the 1920s has Palestine had formally delimited boundaries, though these have remained subject to repeated change and a source of bitter dispute.

Palestine's borders were defined in 1922.

What changes have been made since then?

What border disputes have there been?

True

Biblical Historian and Scholar Dr. Paula Fredriksen, Ph.D, History of Religion, Princeton University, Diploma in Theology, Oxford University
The Judean revolt against Rome was led by [Jewish messiah] Bar Kochba in 132-135 CE. The immediate causes of this rebellion are obscure. Its result was not: [Roman Emperor] Hadrian crushed the revolt and banned Jews from Judea.

The Romans now designated this territory by a political neologism, "Palestine" [a Latin form of "Philistine"], in a deliberate effort to denationalize Jewish/Judean territory. And, finally, Hadrian eradicated Jewish Jerusalem, erecting upon its ruins a new pagan city, Aelia Capitolina.
Random House, Inc. Academic Resources | Augustine and the Jews by Paula Fredriksen

PBS ...
Specializing in the history of early Christianity, Paula Fredriksen is author of two books and over a dozen articles on early Christianity. Among her numerous awards and honors are a National Endowment for the Humanities grant for University Professors and a Lady Davis Visiting Professorship of Ancient Christianity at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. Her second book, From Jesus to Christ: The Origins of the New Testament Images of Jesus, received the Yale Press Governors' Award for Best Book in 1988. Fredriksen holds a Ph.D. in history of religions, ancient christianity, and Greco-Roman religions from Princeton University and a theology diploma from Oxford University. She served as historical consultant for the BBC production The Lives of Jesus and was a featured speaker and historical consultant for U.S. News and World Report's "The Life and Times of Jesus."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe9kKf7SHco]Peggy Lee:Is That All There Is? - YouTube[/ame]

Biblical Historian and Scholar Dr. L. Michael White, Ph.D. and Master of Divinity Degrees from Yale University ....
Responses to the Roman Destruction of Jerusalem

The Roman destruction of Jerusalem sent shock waves through the Jewish population. The loss of life was devastating, but the destruction of Jerusalem and especially the Temple was even more devastating.

Several other effects were discernable in the period of the postwar reconstruction...

Roman coinage of the period carried the legend Judaea Capta [Judaea Captured], a clear statement of the Jewish subjugation

The province of Judaea was reorganized and even renamed Palestina [the Latin form of the old regional name Philistia]. The name change was another slap in the face to Jewish identity
From Jesus to Christianity: How Four Generations of Visionaries & Storytellers Created the New Testament and Christian Faith by L. Michael White

Dr. Michael Coogan, Eminent Biblical Scholar, PhD, Harvard University, Professor Emeritus of Religious Studies at Stonehill College and Director of Publications for the Harvard Semitic Museum. Author of, "The Oxford History of the Biblical World"
The Jewish revolt against the Romans had many causes. Anti-Roman nationalistic unrest and militant messianic sentiments were key factors, as probably was the confiscation of Jewish land by the Roman government in the aftermath of the First Jewish Revolt.

In the aftermath of the revolt, the Roman government changed the name of the province from Judea to Syria Palaestina. Jerusalem was tranformed into the Roman city of Aelia Capitolina
Oxford University Press: The Oxford History of the Biblical World: Michael D. Coogan

Click "Watch on Youtube"

Last edited:
Eminent Middle East Historian Bernard Lewis http://publisher.webfactional.com/detail/?bookid=79

American Library Association
For more than four decades, Bernard Lewis has been one of the most respected scholars and prolific writers on the history and politics of the Middle East. In this compilation of more than 50 journal articles and essays, he displays the full range of his eloquence, knowledge, and insight regarding this pivotal and volatile region."
Oxford University Press: Faith and Power: Bernard Lewis
The adjective Palestinian is comparatively new. This, I need hardly remind you, is a region of ancient civilization and of deep-rooted and often complex identitites. But, Palestine was not one of them. People might identify themselves for various purposes, by religion, by descent, or by allegiance to a particular state or ruler, or, sometimes, locality. But, when they did it locally it was generally either the city and the immediate district or the larger province, so they would have been Jerusalemites or Jaffaites or Syrians, identifying province of Syria

The constitution or the formation of a political entity called Palestine which eventually gave rise to a nationality called Palestinian were lasting innovations of the British Mandate [1922-1948]
For Arabs, the term Palestine was unacceptable. For Muslims it was alien and irrelevant but not abhorrent in the same way as it was to Jews. The main objection for them was that it seemed to assert a separate entity which politically conscious Arabs in Palestine and elsewhere denied. For them there was no such thing as a country called Palestine. The region which the British called Palestine was merely a separated part of a larger whole [of Syria]. For a long time organized and articulate Arab political opinion was virtually unanimous on this point.
At first, the country of which Palestine was a part was felt to be Syria. In Ottoman times, that is, immediately before the coming of the British, Palestine had indeed been a part of a larger Syrian whole from which it was in no way distinguished whether by language, culture, education, administration, political allegiance, or any other significant respect. The dividing line between British-mandated Palestine and French-mandated Syria-Lebanon was an entirely new one and for the people of the area was wholly artificial. It was therefore natural that the nationalist leadership when it first appeared should think in Syrian terms and describe Palestine as southern Syria
With the British conquest in 1917-1918 and the subsequent of a mandated territory in the conquered areas, Palestine became the official name of a definite territory. To begin with, this designation was acceptable neither to Jews not ro Arabs. From the Jewish point of view it restored a name associated in the Jewish historic memory with the largely successful Roman attempt to destroy and obliterate the Jewish identity of the land of Israel. It was a name which had never been used in Jewish history or literature, and the very associations of which were hateful. From the outset, Jews living under the Mandate refused to use this name in Hebrew but instead used what had become the common Jewish designation of the country---Eretz Yisrael, the land of Israel. After a long battle, it was agreed that the official designation of the country in Hebrew on postage stamps, coins, etc would be Palestina, transcribed into Hebrew letters but followed by the abbreviation "aleph yod" For Jews, this was a common abbreviation for Eretz Yisrael.
The Palestinian Arabs' basic sense of corporate historic identity was, at different levels, Muslim or Arab or -- for some -- Syrian; it is significant that even by the end of the Mandate in 1948, after 30 years of separate Palestinian political existence, there were virtually no books in Arabic on the history of Palestine."

Last edited:
The West Wing - Holy Land Map - YouTube

BARTLET
Charlie.

CHARLIE
Good morning.

BARTLET
How was your weekend?

CHARLIE
It was good, sir.

BARTLET
What'd you do?

CHARLIE

BARTLET
Time well spent.

CHARLIE
Yeah

BARTLET

CHARLIE

BARTLET

CHARLIE

BARTLET
Nice sucking up.

CHARLIE
Thank you, sir.

BARTLET

CHARLIE

BARTLET

LEO
Good morning.

BARTLET

LEO
That's beautiful.

BARTLET
You want to come inside?

LEO
Yeah.

BARTLET
Thanks again, Charlie.

SCENE 2.

BARTLET

TOBY
This outer office?

BARTLET
Yeah.

TOBY
No.

BARTLET
Why?

TOBY
Why?

BARTLET
Yeah.

TOBY

BARTLET
Why?

TOBY

BARTLET
It was drawn in 1709.

TOBY
Yeah.

BARTLET
There was no Israel.

TOBY
Right.

BARTLET

TOBY
Yeah.

BARTLET

TOBY

BARTLET
Why?

TOBY

BARTLET
Take lunch, would you?

SCENE 3.

BARTLET

C.J.

BARTLET
C.J.?!

C.J.

BARTLET

C.J.
That's right.

BARTLET
So, it's not on the map.

C.J.

BARTLET
That's ridiculous.

C.J.

BARTLET

C.J.
Yes.

BARTLET

BARTLET

C.J.

BARTLET

CHARLIE
Huh?

BARTLET
Never mind.

C.J.

BARTLET

C.J.

BARTLET
Anything else?

SCENE 4.

BARTLET

LEO

BARTLET
I don't believe this.

LEO

BARTLET

LEO
Yes, sir

There was no Israel in 1709?

Nobody can find a 1948 map of Israel.

Nobody can find a 2012 map of israel\s borders

Arab American Joseph Farah: Palestine Is A Myth
The truth is that Palestine is no more real than Never-Never Land. The first time the name was used was in 70 A.D. when the Romans committed genocide against the Jews, smashed the Temple and declared the land of Israel would be no more. From then on, the Romans promised, it would be known as Palestine. The name was derived from the Philistines, a Goliathian people conquered by the Jews centuries earlier. It was a way for the Romans to add insult to injury. They also tried to change the name of Jerusalem to Aelia Capitolina, but that had even less staying power.

Palestine has never existed — before or since — as an autonomous entity. It was ruled alternately by Rome, by Islamic and Christian crusaders, by the Ottoman Empire and, briefly, by the British after World War I. The British agreed to restore at least part of the land to the Jewish people as their homeland.

There is no language known as Palestinian. There is no distinct Palestinian culture. There has never been a land known as Palestine governed by Palestinians. Palestinians are Arabs, indistinguishable from Jordanians (another recent invention), Syrians, Lebanese, Iraqis, etc. Keep in mind that the Arabs control 99.9 percent of the Middle East lands. Israel represents one-tenth of 1 percent of the landmass.

But that’s too much for the Arabs. They want it all. And that is ultimately what the fighting in Israel is about today. Greed. Pride. Envy. Covetousness. No matter how many land concessions the Israelis make, it will never be enough.

I know what you’re going to say: “Farah, the Al Aqsa Mosque and the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem represent Islam’s third most holy sites.”

Not true. In fact, the Quran says nothing about Jerusalem. It mentions Mecca hundreds of times. It mentions Medina countless times. It never mentions Jerusalem. With good reason. There is no historical evidence to suggest Muhammad ever visited Jerusalem.

So how did Jerusalem become the third holiest site of Islam? Muslims today cite a vague passage in the Quran, the 17th Sura, entitled “The Night Journey.” It relates that in a dream or a vision Muhammad was carried by night “from the sacred temple to the temple that is most remote, whose precinct we have blessed, that we might show him our signs. …” In the seventh century, some Muslims identified the two temples mentioned in this verse as being in Mecca and Jerusalem. And that’s as close as Islam’s connection with Jerusalem gets — myth, fantasy, wishful thinking. Meanwhile, Jews can trace their roots in Jerusalem back to the days of Abraham.
Myths of the Middle East

Click Watch On YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back