Pakistan surrenders

How does it feel to know your Nation that you are so overly-proud of officially chooses to ignore a REAL threat? A much bigger threat to YOU than me, I might add.

What aggrivates me the most about your attitude and that of General Popinjay is that when it's your turn, after all the BS you've blown our way, we will STILL be the ones to come bail your asses out.

We do not ignore threats.
We will send 1.100 soldiers to Lebanon, and we have soldiers in Afghanistan as well as in Bosnia and Kosovo.
All for peace-keeping.

Peace-maeking against Taliban you will have to do yourself as long as they do not operate in Turkey. Turkey has other priorities in Terrorist groups.
Al-Kaida does not harm us at this time.
You can send your Peshmergas to Afghanistan to die for you.

We do not ignore threats.
We will send 1.100 soldiers to Lebanon, and we have soldiers in Afghanistan as well as in Bosnia and Kosovo.
All for peace-keeping.

Peace-maeking against Taliban you will have to do yourself as long as they do not operate in Turkey. Turkey has other priorities in Terrorist groups.
Al-Kaida does not harm us at this time.
You can send your Peshmergas to Afghanistan to die for you.

Wow. Your military is playing lackey to the UN. I'm impressed. Lebanon, and Bosnia.

I don't send anyone anywhere to "die" for me. I spent my time in the barrel -- 20 years to be exact, and a disproportinate amount of it babysitting YOUR area of the world because ostrich nation such as yourself turn a blind eye to what's going on around them.

How about YOU? You make a statement that I need to send others to die for me .... how much time have you spent with YOUR ass on the firing line?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2006-09-06-pakistan-militants_x.htm

Pakistan agrees to 'amnesty' for al Qaeda, Taliban
Posted 9/6/2006 5:09 AM ET

MIRAN SHAH, Pakistan (AP) — Pakistan's government and pro-Taliban militants on Tuesday signed a peace agreement aimed at ending five years of violent unrest in a tribal region bordering Afghanistan.
Under the deal, the militants are to halt attacks on Pakistani forces in the semiautonomous North Waziristan region and stop crossing into nearby eastern Afghanistan to attack U.S. and Afghan forces, who are hunting al-Qaeda and Taliban forces there.

Pakistani troops are to stop their hugely unpopular military campaign in the restive Pakistani region, in which more than 350 soldiers have died, along with hundreds of militants and scores of civilians.

Senior army officers and militants hugged and congratulated one other after signing the agreement at a school in Miran Shah, the main town in North Waziristan, where thousands of Pakistani troops were deployed following the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks in the United States.

But the agreement, which one official said offers an "implicit amnesty" to foreign and local militants, highlights the Pakistani military's inability to crush a violent pro-Taliban insurgency on its own soil.

Pakistani forces had no alternative but to reconcile with the militants, whose knowledge of the terrain and determination to protect their region would have forced the conflict to continue, said Pakistani political analyst Rusul Basksh Rais.

"The military was not in a position to defeat the tribes," Rais said. "But Pakistan can't afford to — and I believe won't — let this area become a sanctuary for the terrorists, especially with the coalition forces on the other side of the border."

Under the pact — signed by a militant leader, Azad Khan, and a government representative, Fakhr-e-Alam — no militant in North Waziristan will shelter foreign militants.

Militants also will not target Pakistani government and security officials or pro-government tribal elders or journalists, North Waziristan lawmaker Maulana Nek Zaman said.

For almost five years, Pakistani soldiers and paramilitary forces have battled local tribesmen, many believed to be allied with the Taliban and Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network, in the fiercely independent mountain region where central government powers do not reach. Bin Laden is also believed to be hiding along the porous Pakistani-Afghan frontier.

"This is a good day for everyone," Zaman, the lawmaker, told a gathering of about 600 tribesmen, members of a council of tribal elders and senior army and government officers.

The agreement has been in the making since May, when militants first declared a temporary cease-fire in clashes, and military leaders began negotiating with militants while tribal elders served as mediators.

It came a day after Pakistan began recalling troops from security posts back to barracks in the region to meet a demand of the militants. Pakistan has also released 132 detained insurgents over recent months in a goodwill gesture aimed at winning back the confidence of tribespeople angered by military incursions into the region.

Shah Zaman Khan, spokesman for the North West Frontier Province's governor, said foreign militants who had taken part in attacks can remain in North Waziristan only if they abide by Tuesday's peace agreement in the region.

Pakistani security officials have said that Arab, Afghan and Central Asian militants allegedly linked with al-Qaeda — as well as area tribesmen suspected of ties with Afghanistan's radical Taliban militia — operate in North Waziristan.

"If the foreigners want to live in North Waziristan, they will have to obey the Pakistani laws and stay away from militancy," he said.

A 10-member committee of tribal elders and Islamic clerics has been set up to ensure that the agreement is implemented, the statement said.

Pakistan's deployment of forces into North Waziristan after the Sept. 11 attacks was the first time soldiers had operated in the region since the Muslim country's 1947 creation.

One more victory for the terrorists. I guess the US should now surrender as well.

How long is Bush going to let Musharef harbor terrorists?

Try an alternative definition of 'humor.'

I am not happy about GIs get bombed if you mean this. I am not a human-hater.
But for me it is regardless of American soldiers dying. And actually we are only adopting your stance in regards of Turkish troops dying.

Beetween Humour and this position there is a difference, and when you understand you understand, and if not then not. What should i say?

It is the my terrorist your terrorist game which you play so good.
Turkish troops are safe in Afghanistan, they make confidence building measures such as walking without bullet-proofs.

Why should we risk our soldiers security in joining fight against Taliban with America, when you do not join Turkey's fight against our terrorist? There is no logic behind this:

"Not even a single soldier from the Turkish Armed Forces can go to Afghanistan for the purpose of the struggle against terrorism," the station quoted Buyukanit as saying. "There is no need and such a thing can never be in question."
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/08/europe/EU_GEN_Turkey_NATO_Afghanistan.php

The my terrorist your terrorist game, America plays now for years.

I am not happy about GIs get bombed if you mean this. I am not a human-hater.
But for me it is regardless of American soldiers dying. And actually we are only adopting your stance in regards of Turkish troops dying.

Beetween Humour and this position there is a difference, and when you understand you understand, and if not then not. What should i say?

Turkish troops are safe in Afghanistan, they make confidence building measures such as walking without bullet-proofs.

Why should we risk our soldiers security in joining fight against Taliban with America, when you do not join Turkey's fight against our terrorist? There is no logic behind this:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/08/europe/EU_GEN_Turkey_NATO_Afghanistan.php

The my terrorist your terrorist game, America plays now for years.

Hmmmm. I guess being grateful has a term limit. We spent the better part of 40 years ensuring your safety from the USSR.

I guess believing in an ideal and being willing to fight for it ends at your border.

Help me out here, why would Turkish troops be safe and not others?

They're also patrolling and helping with reconstsruction, same as the other troops for the most part - same with the bullet proof vests etc, some have them some don't. I think it's a matter of funds and equipment rather than confidence building meausures. I know our troops are seriously lacking in many areas, such as equipment - at least that's what our government tells us.

Wow. Your military is playing lackey to the UN. I'm impressed. Lebanon, and Bosnia.

I don't send anyone anywhere to "die" for me. I spent my time in the barrel -- 20 years to be exact, and a disproportinate amount of it babysitting YOUR area of the world because ostrich nation such as yourself turn a blind eye to what's going on around them.

How about YOU? You make a statement that I need to send others to die for me .... how much time have you spent with YOUR ass on the firing line?

So why did USA give the responsibility to fight the Talibans in Afghanistan to NATO?

You do not have to act as a baybysitter for Turkey, we are no babys.
You have to learn, that every man is equal and like US-soldiers, other nations soldiers have mothers and fathers too.
You do not have to Babysit for Turkey, but you multiply Turkey's problems by hindering Turkey to babysit itself and get rid of its Terrorists.
Get out of our business.

I served 18 months in turkish military. The standard procedure every Turks gets through. We have no mercenaries, but conscription.

And to Pakistan:
What do you await from them?
You secceed their territory in your armedforcesjournal maps, give India nuclear technology and deny the same for Pakistan.
Can you think of Pakistan's security problems too? or are you only fixed on your own problems...

Pakistan helped you alot in the last years, with Pakistani soldiers dying.
I don't support Pakistan's decision in reliance to Waziristan, but I can understand this decision. And you can not understand this decision because in your brain is only America's interests fixed.

So why did USA give the responsibility to fight the Talibans in Afghanistan to NATO?

This may come as shock and revelation to you, but Islamic terrorism is a threat to every civilized, democratic nation on the Earth, not just the US.

You do not have to act as a baybysitter for Turkey, we are no babys.

I was waiting for this. BULLSHIT. The only thing that kept the USSR from steamrolling right over Turkey was the threat of nuclear retaliation from the US. Your country borders Russia and sits on top of one of the most sought-after strategic locations throughout history.

You have to learn, that every man is equal and like US-soldiers, other nations soldiers have mothers and fathers too.

Wrong. We all have mothers and fathers, but NOTHING is superior to the American fighting man. Whenever the politicians have removed the leash of political motivations and allowed the military to do what it's designed to do, NOTHING and NO ONE has EVER defeated us.

You do not have to Babysit for Turkey, but you multiply Turkey's problems by hindering Turkey to babysit itself and get rid of its Terrorists.
Get out of our business.

The US is hardly in your business. In fact, the US has gone further than I would personally ignoring your arrogance and self-inflated egos based on absolutely nothing.

I served 18 months in turkish military. The standard procedure every Turks gets through. We have no mercenaries, but conscription.

You served because you were compelled to. How quaint. Yet you wonder why I think US troops are better? We serve because we want to, and believe in what we are fighting for. Quite an edge in combat.
And to Pakistan:
What do you await from them?
You secceed their territory in your armedforcesjournal maps, give India nuclear technology and deny the same for Pakistan.
Can you think of Pakistan's security problems too? or are you only fixed on your own problems...

Pakistan helped you alot in the last years, with Pakistani soldiers dying.
I don't support Pakistan's decision in reliance to Waziristan, but I can understand this decision.

Terrorists are criminals, period. They should be hunted down and destroyed wherever they are, and ALL law-abiding peoples should be involved in the effort.

Pakistan has basically just handed the Taliban and AQ a safe haven. If you can't see the problem with that, then you just don't want to.

(...)You served because you were compelled to. How quaint. Yet you wonder why I think US troops are better? We serve because we want to, and believe in what we are fighting for. Quite an edge in combat.(...)

Off course, Turkish soldiers are all pussys, and we have to learn a lot from American soldiers with their experience the last years.
Wake up from your dream of the invincible American soldier.
Everyone knows Turkish soldiers for their discipline.

Children are told in schools and by their parents that all heroes in Turkish society are warriors, that the military is the symbol of national unity and that ‘every Turk is born as a soldier’
http://www.cess.org/publications/ha...er19.pdf#search=""turk is born as a soldier""

Source:
Center for European Security studies.

We have a connection to our army, decadent societies can only dream of.

Terrorists are criminals, period. They should be hunted down and destroyed wherever they are, and ALL law-abiding peoples should be involved in the effort.

As long your own sentence is not the maxime for your actions we don't talk of the same things.

The paper seems to talk about the extent of which Turkish military actully controls society and the propaganda, beginning at the earliest ages, which is supposed to garners respect and how it's problematic. You still have conscription, which is kind of odd given the love society has for hte military.

Off course, Turkish soldiers are all pussys, and we have to learn a lot from American soldiers with their experience the last years.
Wake up from your dream of the invincible American soldier.
Everyone knows Turkish soldiers for their discipline.

I didn't say all Turkish troops were pussies, nor that Americans are invincible. That's YOU putting words in my mouth.

Maybe you think Turkish troops are known for their discipline. They're known to us for their drinking, willingness to brawl, arrogance (as you are a prime example of) and bad hygiene.

http://www.cess.org/publications/ha...er19.pdf#search=""turk is born as a soldier""

Source:
Center for European Security studies.

We have a connection to our army, decadent societies can only dream of.

And obviously they fill your heads completely full of BULLSHIT. The last REAL war y'all were in, you got your asses kicked.

As long your own sentence is not the maxime for your actions we don't talk of the same things.

Please attempt to learn the difference between my personal opinion and the official opinion of the US, and the selectivity based on politics in which it is enforced.

IF there was a known terrorist in my neighborhood, I'd call the police on him in a minute. It is their job to handle such things, not mine. If I attempt to do so it's called vigilantism and I could be charged with a crime.

Having said that, if I saw a terrorist in the act of committing an act of terrorism I wouldn't hesitate to empty a magazine into him.

Clear that up for you any?

The paper seems to talk about the extent of which Turkish military actully controls society and the propaganda, beginning at the earliest ages, which is supposed to garners respect and how it's problematic. You still have conscription, which is kind of odd given the love society has for hte military.

No propaganda.

This is from 31.7.2006
Trust-Index of 19 countries.

TURKEY:
Politicians: 23 %
Army: 91 %

http://www.gfk.hr/press1_en/confidence.htm

---------------------------------

Why does the public trust the military?

Gallup polls in European Union countries and Turkey are very interesting.

Even in the EU, which cannot be described as combative, this figure is 67 percent. In Turkey, it is 87 percent.
http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php?enewsid=48133

----------------------------------

A poll published in the daily newspaper Hürriyet last September found that the military was Turkey's most trusted institution.
]
http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20060...e-turkish-military-s-march-toward-europe.html

And so on.

I think we've lost our way.

Let's re-visit the orginal post.

MIRAN SHAH, Pakistan (AP) — Pakistan's government and pro-Taliban militants on Tuesday signed a peace agreement aimed at ending five years of violent unrest in a tribal region bordering Afghanistan.
Under the deal, the militants are to halt attacks on Pakistani forces in the semiautonomous North Waziristan region and stop crossing into nearby eastern Afghanistan to attack U.S. and Afghan forces, who are hunting al-Qaeda and Taliban forces there.

Pakistani troops are to stop their hugely unpopular military campaign in the restive Pakistani region, in which more than 350 soldiers have died, along with hundreds of militants and scores of civilians.

Seems straight forward to me, Pakistan has given up, they have tired of getting beat up by the Taliban, and have sued for peace.

The citizen's of Pakistan have NOT supported the war against terror, and the fight with the Taliban has been very unpopular.

I'm sure most are not surprised, canavar sure shouldn't be, and the vet's on this board I'm sure aren't.

So, what's to argue about, Pakistani has NEVER really been a willing parner in the war againts terror.

If all it meant was cashing Uncle Sugar's check, they were in, if it got much rougher than that, they were OUT.

Seems simple enough................:tdown2:

No propaganda.

This is from 31.7.2006
Trust-Index of 19 countries.

TURKEY:
Politicians: 23 %
Army: 91 %

http://www.gfk.hr/press1_en/confidence.htm

---------------------------------

Why does the public trust the military?

http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php?enewsid=48133

]
http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20060...e-turkish-military-s-march-toward-europe.html

And so on.

My comments were in reference to the paper you posted. I'm aware of the fact that Turks trust their military, but the article does mention early indoctrination,the importance of propaganda (not in those exact words, I'm paraphrasing) and the influcence your armed forces has on civil matters. The author(s) even go so far as to say the armed forces take care to make sure no one strays from Ataturk's secularist ideology (for example). While I think a secular government is a good thing, it's obvious, from the article that's it's forced secularism and society may not be this way, with out a militaritsic policed state.

I haven't read the entire article, but it actually is a good one. Probably one of the better papers I've seen produced by any supposed think tanks and I plan to read the rest of over the week end. At first, I thought it was going to be a ''pro Turkey joining the EU', but it covers and interesting area.

Honestly though, do you really think Pakistan signing a peace treaty (or whatever it was, exactly) with pro-Taliban forces was a good idea? Put all predjudices aside and think about it what this actually means. They gave up. They basically said 'fuck it. Leave us alone and we'll leave you alone'.

I think it's a great idea to make this area Terroristan!! Let all the terrorists consider this a safe haven where they can settle in, settle down and get comfortable, then just blow it up.

Instead of trying to catch fish one-by-one, why not lure them all to the same area and then use a net? More efficient.

I think it's a great idea to make this area Terroristan!! Let all the terrorists consider this a safe haven where they can settle in, settle down and get comfortable, then just blow it up.

Instead of trying to catch fish one-by-one, why not lure them all to the same area and then use a net? More efficient.

You got it ! If I'm a terrorist with $25 mil on my head that's the LAST place I'm going to hang out. I don't see this decision as hurting any US effort to kill terrorists at all. We were damn lucky to get the help we did from Pakistan.

Forum List

Back