Pakistan Shuns C.I.A. Buildup Sought by U.S.

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By ERIC SCHMITT and DAVID E. SANGER
Published: January 27, 2008

WASHINGTON — The top two American intelligence officials traveled secretly to Pakistan early this month to press President Pervez Musharraf to allow the Central Intelligence Agency greater latitude to operate in the tribal territories where Al Qaeda, the Taliban and other militant groups are all active, according to several officials who have been briefed on the visit.

But in the unannounced meetings on Jan. 9 with the two American officials — Mike McConnell, the director of national intelligence, and Gen. Michael V. Hayden, the C.I.A. director — Mr. Musharraf rebuffed proposals to expand any American combat presence in Pakistan, either through unilateral covert C.I.A. missions or by joint operations with Pakistani security forces.

Instead, Pakistan and the United States are discussing a series of other joint efforts, including increasing the number and scope of missions by armed Predator surveillance aircraft over the tribal areas, and identifying ways that the United States can speed information about people suspected of being militants to Pakistani security forces, officials said.

more ... http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/w...5d79601c827348&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

What with their stellar reputation, I can't imagine why anyone would shun the CIA.:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back