Paintball

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
Not sure if paintball is a game or a sport....

In any case, my youngest son is getting married in Oct. and in all their wisdom, his friends and brothers decided to give him a bachelor party consisting of a day of paintball...among other things. Of course, dear old Dad is invited. The problem is that dear old Dad has never done paintball and stands in great danger of confirming their belief that "Dad is an idiot". While I have been known to sneak around here and there and pop off a few live rounds from a real firearm and actually hit a target or two, I suspect paintball is entirely different.

Soooo, how does one lose at paintball gracefully? Any pointers would be welcome!

Not sure if paintball is a game or a sport....

In any case, my youngest son is getting married in Oct. and in all their wisdom, his friends and brothers decided to give him a bachelor party consisting of a day of paintball...among other things. Of course, dear old Dad is invited. The problem is that dear old Dad has never done paintball and stands in great danger of confirming their belief that "Dad is an idiot". While I have been known to sneak around here and there and pop off a few live rounds from a real firearm and actually hit a target or two, I suspect paintball is entirely different.

Soooo, how does one lose at paintball gracefully? Any pointers would be welcome!

Be prepared, Dad. http://www.enjoyturkey.com/Tours/Interest/Rules.htm

Thanks! That helps a lot!

are you playing indoors?

outdoors in the woods?

in a paintball arena?

the little suckers leave welts so wear a couple of layers and if you own a motocors breast plate wear it....a scarf around your neck is a good idea as well.....

run and gun = death.....stealth....shoot and move...stay put and die

are you playing indoors?

outdoors in the woods?

in a paintball arena?

the little suckers leave welts so wear a couple of layers and if you own a motocors breast plate wear it....a scarf around your neck is a good idea as well.....

run and gun = death.....stealth....shoot and move...stay put and die

Outdoors in the woods...thanks for the advice on clothing...hadn't thought about those pellets might sting a bit.

Also remember that paintballs are not bullets and paintball guns have no rifling. You're not going to be able to snipe. Think of it like using tracers. You're going to have to fire 2-3 shots to see how the far off the gun is before you can hope to hit a guy with anything other than a lucky shot. Your Marine Corps. training will come in quite handy as long as you remember that accuracy isn't really an option.

Also remember that paintballs are not bullets and paintball guns have no rifling. You're not going to be able to snipe. Think of it like using tracers. You're going to have to fire 2-3 shots to see how the far off the gun is before you can hope to hit a guy with anything other than a lucky shot. Your Marine Corps. training will come in quite handy as long as you remember that accuracy isn't really an option.

Marine Corps? CSM's command sergeant major avatar is Army insignia, not Marine Corps.

Other than that, stick with what Hobbit said. You'll feel really discouraged with your gun when you see the balls dropping or can see them missing your target. Army training and experience will help you with fundamentals and probably nothing else, seeing as the advanced concepts are quite different. You'll get the hang of it though, just dont be afraid of the balls (I know you wont be).

• Thanks
Reactions: CSM
Great...this will be just like trying to pick off a moth at 500 yards with a smooth bore musket!

Great...this will be just like trying to pick off a moth at 500 yards with a smooth bore musket!

An old SF E-7 told me his favorite weapon in VN was a sawed off 12 gauge.
He said it worked great if you incountered an ambush. Donno if they have paint ball guns like that.

An old SF E-7 told me his favorite weapon in VN was a sawed off 12 gauge.
He said it worked great if you incountered an ambush. Donno if they have paint ball guns like that.

12 gauge worked great....carried an M79 too...loved em both! Now if they have paintball grenades, automatic paintball guns, and maybe even some paintball air support, this could get to be fun!

Marine Corps? CSM's command sergeant major avatar is Army insignia, not Marine Corps.

Other than that, stick with what Hobbit said. You'll feel really discouraged with your gun when you see the balls dropping or can see them missing your target. Army training and experience will help you with fundamentals and probably nothing else, seeing as the advanced concepts are quite different. You'll get the hang of it though, just dont be afraid of the balls (I know you wont be).

Gah! I should have spotted that. But after having to memorize all those damn insignias in less than an hour and then not seeing them again for years, I get a little confused. There's like, 6+ ranks with 6 stripes.

Gah! I should have spotted that. But after having to memorize all those damn insignias in less than an hour and then not seeing them again for years, I get a little confused. There's like, 6+ ranks with 6 stripes.

Some of them are unique positions for units, like first sergeants and sergeants major, or in CSM's case, Command sergeants major. I believe a six stripe Army insignia with nothing in the middle would be a master sergeant, or E-8. In the Marine Corps, a six stripe insignia with nothing in the middle would also be a master sergeant, but 5 stripes would be a gunnery sergeant, as opposed to the Army's sergeant 1st class. 7 stripe insignia for the Marines is master gunnery sergeant, to the best of my knowledge.

Navy is just plain wierd.

Some of them are unique positions for units, like first sergeants and sergeants major, or in CSM's case, Command sergeants major. I believe a six stripe Army insignia with nothing in the middle would be a master sergeant, or E-8. In the Marine Corps, a six stripe insignia with nothing in the middle would also be a master sergeant, but 5 stripes would be a gunnery sergeant, as opposed to the Army's sergeant 1st class. 7 stripe insignia for the Marines is master gunnery sergeant, to the best of my knowledge.

Navy is just plain wierd.

Navy's the easiest. There's only one rank per level, and it's a predictable progression. Also there's another 7 stripe Marine Corps. rank. It's Seargent Major, and has a star rather than exploding ordinance in the field.

Some of them are unique positions for units, like first sergeants and sergeants major, or in CSM's case, Command sergeants major. I believe a six stripe Army insignia with nothing in the middle would be a master sergeant, or E-8. In the Marine Corps, a six stripe insignia with nothing in the middle would also be a master sergeant, Fair warning lad. When you go to boot camp they will thrash you soundly if you say six stripes and nothing. The correct answer is "Sir, Master Sergeant is three stripes up, three stripes down, crossed rifles in the middle sir." But, for a young man with aspirations you are doing fine so far.

but 5 stripes would be a gunnery sergeant, as opposed to the Army's sergeant 1st class. 7 stripe insignia for the Marines is master gunnery sergeant, to the best of my knowledge.

Navy is just plain wierd. The Navy ranks are easy. The ratings are tough. You'll get it all down....... after about twenty years :)

CSM. I used to train squad tactics with paintballs. Them suckers sting. And paint spatter in the eye is a real pain. Much better than miles gear to train folks on how to really, no shit, low crawl. It was also awesome for demonstrating how dangerous kicking in doors really was.

Anyway since you aint training, have fun. As you charge for the flag and see the opponents remember to chant RATE OF FIRE RATE OF FIRE RATE OF FIRE and don't stop moving.

CSM. I used to train squad tactics with paintballs. Them suckers sting. And paint spatter in the eye is a real pain. Much better than miles gear to train folks on how to really, no shit, low crawl. It was also awesome for demonstrating how dangerous kicking in doors really was.

Anyway since you aint training, have fun. As you charge for the flag and see the opponents remember to chant RATE OF FIRE RATE OF FIRE RATE OF FIRE and don't stop moving.

There must be a place to do this with a bunch or ole military guys.. what a kick that would be..I've never held a paintball gun, but I'm hooked already!
Now if me heart will just hold out. Lets take the FLAG BOYS!!!! YEEEEEHAAAAA!!!!!!

Forum List

Back