Paid Shills on the Internet

Paid Shills on the Internet, tell me it not so.
If true that explains a number of posters here.

I Was a Paid Internet Shill: How Shadowy Groups Manipulate Internet Opinion and Debate
The type of propaganda strategy described in the article below occurs across a wide range of topics and is employed by various corporate, political, and governmental groups to promote a variety of agendas.

It is called astroturfing, and it is far more common than most would imagine.

I Was a Paid Internet Shill: How Shadowy Groups Manipulate Internet Opinion and Debate | Conscious Life News

I get paid $5 a post

Do you mean you do it for free?

Short memories.

Anyone recall certain posters in here who showed up Aug.- Nov. and then disappeared after the election?

That's a selection-bias. Around election time, interest levels increase, then wane soon after. Thus what you've noted is to be expected.

Meanwhile, indeed, PR firms, etc, do do buzz marketing, as do political organizations. But to think any would pay for that on PH is just silly. Tell me one member whose opinion has ever been altered here. Just one. Thus it's pointless, on site like this, where opinions are not merely formed, but stauchly ingrained.

Where astroturfing has an impact is among the fickle middle, less involved / non-adamant. Commenting on news sites, with specific articles. Facebook. Twitter. Youtube. Create blogs, and then faux "responders."

But not here. It would be a collosal waste of money.

I Was a Paid Internet Shill: How Shadowy Groups Manipulate Internet Opinion and Debate
The type of propaganda strategy described in the article below occurs across a wide range of topics and is employed by various corporate, political, and governmental groups to promote a variety of agendas.

I Was a Paid Internet Shill: How Shadowy Groups Manipulate Internet Opinion and Debate | Conscious Life News

is that how you make your living?

I'm going to call bullshit on the whole story, actually.

Me too.

Oh, I suppose it could be true but really, has anyone ever seen someone change their mind based on what they read from another poster?

I'd bet that more than 99% of what is online is fiction, opinion and not based on facts of any kind.

Its human nature to seek out that which reinforces our own opinions. Thus paying someone to change the opinions of others probably doesn't work.

Short memories.

Anyone recall certain posters in here who showed up Aug.- Nov. and then disappeared after the election?

Lots of booards have that seasonal influx. I always thought those were mostly socks of existing people. :badgrin:

Wow, that could be a good gig if you find a "product" (political agenda) that you believe in. Many people have a lot of posts here and could make money doing what they do now.

Forum List

Back