Pagan Origins of [Insert Holiday]

Nuc said:
If as Mom4 said, and it's a nice idea, God planted the seed for us to seek truth, then does God care what form of belief or worship we use?
He gives us general parameters (called "morality"). After that, it's a one-on-one lovefest with the Almighty. For example, fertility orgies would be a no-no. But worshipping alone in the middle of a forest is just as valid as worshipping in a cathedral with all the candles & fixin's. Maybe even moreso.

What worship is, in essence, is a personal, surrendered relationship with God. It can be intensified and strengthened when we come together. I guess a religion would be a group of people with a consensus on how to "come together."

mom4 said:
He gives us general parameters (called "morality"). After that, it's a one-on-one lovefest with the Almighty. For example, fertility orgies would be a no-no. But worshipping alone in the middle of a forest is just as valid as worshipping in a cathedral with all the candles & fixin's. Maybe even moreso.

What worship is, in essence, is a personal, surrendered relationship with God. It can be intensified and strengthened when we come together. I guess a religion would be a group of people with a consensus on how to "come together."

You are a Christian, correct? "Worshipping alone in the middle of a forest" would be a pretty good description of certain Shinto, Buddhist, Native American or Hindu practices. You think that's equally valid as Christian practice. Not for you, obviously you've made your choice, but for others?

mom4 said:

I like that definition of religion but I see worship as an act of affirmation, not surrender.

Nuc said:
You are a Christian, correct? "Worshipping alone in the middle of a forest" would be a pretty good description of certain Shinto, Buddhist, Native American or Hindu practices. You think that's equally valid as Christian practice. Not for you, obviously you've made your choice, but for others?
LOL! Why not for me? I try to take God with me wherever I go (not always successful, bc I'm human). Woods and forests hold a special significance for me. I grew up in the woods, and whenever I needed time alone with God, that's where I would head.

A few years ago, our church held its Easter sunrise service beside a lake. It was one of the most intense services I have ever attended.

mom4 said:
LOL! Why not for me? I try to take God with me wherever I go (not always successful, bc I'm human). Woods and forests hold a special significance for me. I grew up in the woods, and whenever I needed time alone with God, that's where I would head.

A few years ago, our church held its Easter sunrise service beside a lake. It was one of the most intense services I have ever attended.

That's good. But that's not what I meant. I was asking whether you think a Shinto, Buddhist or whatever worshipping in the forest is equally valid as Christian practice.

Nuc said:
That's good. But that's not what I meant. I was asking whether you think a Shinto, Buddhist or whatever worshipping in the forest is equally valid as Christian practice.
Valid? Shintos and Buddhists have different beliefs about God and spirituality. I do not believe their beliefs, so I do not hold them to be equally true as mine. Otherwise, how could I say I believe? To believe means to hold something to be more true than something else.

However, I believe in their right to choose their religion.

mom4 said:
Ah! BOSS... so there is subjugation involved! :thup:

LOL--but not so much subjugation as to belittle something he created! Sometimes pride can be a compliment to Him for doing such a great thing!
It's cool to part of something great! I think its ok to enjoy it ! We're buddies!

mom4 said:
Valid? Shintos and Buddhists have different beliefs about God and spirituality. I do not believe their beliefs, so I do not hold them to be equally true as mine. Otherwise, how could I say I believe? To believe means to hold something to be more true than something else.

However, I believe in their right to choose their religion.

Fair enough. My attitude towards religion is that it's a matter of taste, like music or food. People end up either in the religion they were raised, just as they eat the food of their homeland, or they end up in the religion that suits them, as they listen to music they like. Of course we all have the right to worship, eat and listen as we please. Personally I think different religions are suitable for different kinds of people and they all have good and bad points. So I don't like to see a bunch of arguing about "my religion is better than yours" or "mine is the only true religion". I think a lot of people make sweeping statements about religion without taking into consideration personal taste. Some people are just not cut out to worship gods. Some people need a strict moral code to keep themselves in line. Some people just need to be in nature as you said.

Nuc said:
Fair enough. My attitude towards religion is that it's a matter of taste, like music or food. People end up either in the religion they were raised, just as they eat the food of their homeland, or they end up in the religion that suits them, as they listen to music they like. Of course we all have the right to worship, eat and listen as we please. Personally I think different religions are suitable for different kinds of people and they all have good and bad points. So I don't like to see a bunch of arguing about "my religion is better than yours" or "mine is the only true religion". I think a lot of people make sweeping statements about religion without taking into consideration personal taste. Some people are just not cut out to worship gods. Some people need a strict moral code to keep themselves in line. Some people just need to be in nature as you said.
Well, I have to believe that my God is the only true God. Like I said, otherwise, what's the point of saying I believe?

But faith cannot be forced. I agree that it is an individual choice that each person has to make for himself.

the point is the prophets warned you not to continue your pagan practices. even after paul came to europe to teach you the message of jesus you resisted and only willing to mix the gospel together with the heathen ways of europe. you were unwilling to stop it then & unwilling to stop it now. :happy2:

mshakur said:
the point is the prophets warned you not to continue your pagan practices. even after paul came to europe to teach you the message of jesus you resisted and only willing to mix the gospel together with the heathen ways of europe. you were unwilling to stop it then & unwilling to stop it now. :happy2:

Only hippy neopagans worship any pagan gods now, so are you saying that if we do anything the pagans once did, then we're continuing pagan practices? Some pagans ate a very balanced diet to stay in harmony with nature. Does that mean we can't eat balanced diets as it would be a pagan practice? Pagans also bathed, camped, hunted, and gathered their harvest with spiritual motivation and reason. Does that mean that these activities are also forbidden as pagan practices?

Let's face it. You're just trying to denegrate the religion by saying that celebrating a Christian holiday is the same thing as devil worship and that we just don't know it. Take your bullcrap elsewhere. It doesn't stick to this wall.

Hobbit said:
Only hippy neopagans worship any pagan gods now, so are you saying that if we do anything the pagans once did, then we're continuing pagan practices? Some pagans ate a very balanced diet to stay in harmony with nature. Does that mean we can't eat balanced diets as it would be a pagan practice? Pagans also bathed, camped, hunted, and gathered their harvest with spiritual motivation and reason. Does that mean that these activities are also forbidden as pagan practices?

Let's face it. You're just trying to denegrate the religion by saying that celebrating a Christian holiday is the same thing as devil worship and that we just don't know it. Take your bullcrap elsewhere. It doesn't stick to this wall.

I just went next door and prayed with my next door neighbors. I saw them earlier today with their kids hunting Easter eggs in their yard.

I told them that this guy who supports the resistance in Palestine and Iraq, who supports Fidel, Hugo, Mugabe, Chicano Warriors and Natives American Warriors believe that they are all going to hell because they believe in Easter.

The kids cried, their mom and dad tried to kick my ass, but I calmed them down.

It's hard spreading the truth according to mshakur.

GotZoom said:
I just went next door and prayed with my next door neighbors. I saw them earlier today with their kids hunting Easter eggs in their yard.

I told them that this guy who supports the resistance in Palestine and Iraq, who supports Fidel, Hugo, Mugabe, Chicano Warriors and Natives American Warriors believe that they are all going to hell because they believe in Easter.

The kids cried, their mom and dad tried to kick my ass, but I calmed them down.

It's hard spreading the truth according to mshakur.

The truth and mshakur are mutually exclusive.

Forum List

Back