"Paddy's in Terryglass - a lovely pub"

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
It's the headline he didn't want to see. Willie Walsh spoke at length this week at the Chartered Accountants Leinster Society lunch in Dublin. It was an interesting chat about the IAG business, some insight into its accounting and how bean counters, not Masons (although perhaps they're not mutually exclusive), are ruling the world.

Asked if he had a euro to bet on the likely outcome of the Aer Lingus takeover bid, Walsh said he couldn't comment given the constraints placed on him by the Takeover Panel. Which brought him to an aside: "I was in Tipperary last weekend and was in a pub - Paddy's in Terryglass - a lovely pub," he told the audience, adding that the local lotto was being done in aid of the GAA club. At €5 a ticket, Walsh pitched in.

"I got a telephone call last night that I'd won. Nobody got the numbers right but apparently they drew my envelope out of the hat so I win €25. That's it I'm retiring."

The odds may be in favour of the Government deciding to sell its 25.1pc stake in Aer Lingus, but it's a deal even seasoned gamblers might be unwilling to bet on.

The Punt Willie Walsh wins the lotto - Independent.ie

Forum List

Back